1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions: 120hz vs 240hz and quality of Toshiba

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by TwoHands, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TwoHands

TwoHands Member

Noob here. With some amazing discounts at the big box stores, it's time to lose my HDTV virginity.

First: is 240hz worth the extra $$ over 120hz?

Next: Saw a 55" Toshiba Regza at Best Buy for under $2K with a standout picture {store was fully lit and I typically watch in a well lit room}. I haven't heard youse guys talk much about Toshibas and I'm wondering whatcha think.

2. sharezone

sharezone Member

Bro dont know about toshiba but this is what im gonna advise ya.

Basically no one was there to tell me ... if you're dyin to buy tele right now cuz you wanna play HD 1080p or 720p gaming then simply buy a cheap 1080p 22 - 24 inch monitor ... believe me itll work like charm. If for movies then wait .... Whyyy????

Reason I said that, its the shifting phase to get towards actual intended technology what actually manufecturers were targetin for long time ... technology is changin at rapid speed. Blu Ray is gonna stay for another 5 - 10 years ... 1080p is gonna stay there for another 5 - 10 years as a standard.

The thing which is gonna change dramatically over next year is the 3D tech ... HDTV tele's you r gettin right now are gonna go obsolete (basically what happened to CRT tele's) and new tele's with inclusion of 3D tech (just like u watch in Real D cinema's kind of stuff ... things poppin out of tele) are gonna start releasin over next year.

LCD's will be out and OLED's HD tele's will be in next year.

120hz and 240hz doesn't matter (its only gonna give u soap opera effect nothin else ... believe me there's gonna be lot of artifacts when turned on).

Blu Ray movies and HDTV show with 3D support are gonna start releasin from next year ... First 3D game on Xbox 360 and PS3 (James Cameron: The Avatar) is already released ... only playable on some already available 3D teles in market such as of Sony, Mitsubishi to name some.

So yeah if I was you I'd wait till mid of next year.

3. TwoHands

TwoHands Member

Thanks for the response.

I'm not a gamer so that's not a factor. I also don't care about Blueray since I'm the kiss of death for any DVD or CD that comes my way. I've taken to pulling shows off torrents and burning them to a rewritable DVD. After I get whatever it is I'll wind up with I'll probably use an older computer as a media center -- as a DVR and a music server.

HD sports and network stuff is probably where I'll spend most of my time which is why I asked about the Toshiba.

Anyone know anything about the brand?