1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions for bluray backup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KYBoy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. KYBoy

KYBoy Member

I plan on purchasing a laptop this week and thought I might as well get one that reads blurays so I can start backing up my movies...

Question 1
    How much memory does a bluray movie take up once ripped so I have an idea of what size HDD I need?

Question 2
    My goal is to stream the movies from the laptop to my PS3 (or if thats too choppy then I guess connect the laptop to the LCD TV)...All I need is a ripper like DVDFab and a bluray drive right?

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

1) Bluray movies could be upto 50Gig. But typically around 30 +.

2) Do not know about streaming methods but you would have to make sure that the Laptop GFX output (presumably DVI) is HDCP compliant so that the image will display on your HDTV. Obviously, the connection to the Laptops screen is OK, but I would be concerned that the DVI output is not necessarily HDCP compliant and I doubt if a sales assistant would know. I would recommend asking this to be checked out in the store before you buy.

3. byngo

byngo Regular member

forgot to answer your last point.
    To rip the Bluray, use AnyDVD HD.
    Yes you will need a Bluray drive
    You will also need software capable of playing bluray such as Power DVD 7 or 8

4. ckwan

ckwan Member

I had a blu ray movie (Twister) ripped into the hard drive using AnyDVD but was unable to play it back from the hard drive using Windows Media Player 11, Roxio's Cineplayer and Intervideo Win DVD BD. Can some one suggest a solution to this?

Also, what softeware can I use to burn this movie back to a blank BD disc?

5. byngo

byngo Regular member

I use PowerDVD 8 Ultra to play from HDD but you need to make an ISO image from the files you have that ANYDVD HD ripped. I imagine that the software you have tried would work if you made an iso image.
    That iso image then needs to be mounted on a virtual drive with something like nero image tool or Deamon tools.
    Alternatively you could run AnyDVD HD in the background whilst using IMGBURN to create an iso image staright from the Disc and mount that.
    I have never done it, but I believe that IMGBURN can burn that iso to a blank BD-R disc.

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

The latest version of AnyDVDHD can rip to an image. Also, once passed through AnyDVD all copyright protection is removed so HDCP does not apply. If a laptop comes with a BD drive the GFX card typically is HDCP anyway.

If streaming is desired make sure you have a good wired network or a powerful wireless router.

Generally WMP11 doesn't play m2ts files very well, I suggest the following. Make sure you have FFDshow, Haali Media Splitter, and CCCP installed... all freeware. Once this is done your m2ts files will play fine with Media Player Classic... which is freeware too. If you have access to better media player software I suggest using that, like Arcsoft Total Media Theatre.

7. ckwan

ckwan Member

I did rip the Blu Ray movie to the hard drive in 2 different ways.
    First, I ripped in in the folder format but I was unable to play back those m2ts files from the Stream folder with any of my players.
    Can you be more specific as to what I can do about this iso image that I have saved on the HDD? What do you mean by mounting the image on a virtual drive? Where can I obtain the Nero image tool or Deamon tool?
    Thanks for any help that can be provided to solve this problem.

8. ckwan

ckwan Member

Just downloaded the Daemon Tool and used it to mount the iso image to a virtual drive but still could not open it with any of the players that I have. The Inter Video Win DVD BD stopped as soon as it tried to open the iso file.
    Did you ever tried any new Blu Ray movies on AnyDVD like the "Twister" that I suggested?

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Go to the AnyDVD website, they have a free virtual drive... I think it's called CloneDrive. Install it. Go to your recently ripped image file, right click on it... look for CloneDrive, choose "mount". Now, go to "My Computer", notice the Clone Drive icon, your image is ready to be played with whatever software you desire, PowerDVD will be fine... it's as if there was a disc in you PC. I suggest Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, it's much better.

10. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I haven't tried Twister, the one time I did this was for experiment sake, and it worked. I play my BD's/rips on my PS3. I'm assuming when you ripped the BD to your PC you removed the copy protection... there is an option to keep it, which is silly if you ask me. Also, try closing AnyDVD in the icon tray before playing the movie.

11. ckwan

ckwan Member

I believe that the protection was removed because I did not do anything to try to keep it. I right-clicked on ANYDVD and chose the option "rip to hard drive". Also, after it was done, I compared the ripped version with the original on the BD disc and I found that the entire AACS folder was elinimated. I must point out that the players that I have been using are all supposed to be able to playback m2ts files but in this case, they didn't seem to be able to detect the existence of these files in the STREAM folder. As I indicated above, I did use the Daemon Tool to mount the iso image on a virtual drive but still could not solve this problem. I doubt that the Clone Drive is going to make a difference but I'll give it a try any way.

12. ckwan

ckwan Member

Just tried the CloneDrive. Still, got the same problem.

13. ckwan

ckwan Member

Again, has anyone tried to rip any newly released BD movies?