1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Questions on DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wuzzbert, Nov 12, 2003.

1. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

(1)Do you have to format a DVD-RW disc before you use it or can you just simply take it out of the case and use it for anything.

(2)If you use a DVD-RW and then fully erase it with nero do you need to format it again before you can use it?

The reason why I ask is because I've just updated Nero 6 via there website and now I notice I have a format function on nero Startsmat (under the DVD tab then under the data function).

Cheers

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hi Wuzzbert,
    No formating of the disc is necessary when burning DVDs. There are a few formating steps, but they are covered in the DVD creation process:

1) You format the movie files into a DVD title-set via an authoring program like TMPGEnc DVD Author
    2) You format the File structure that will be burned onto the disc by making a VIDEO_TS folder for the title-set to be burned into.
    3) You select DVD as the burn format so that your burning app will use the right UDF/Joliet system when writing.

The DVD-R just has to be blank, whether clean from the store or erased by you (quick erase is fine).

Good luck...

3. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

Am I right in thinking then that I would have to format a DVD-RW disc if I wanted to put files on it for access and deletion?

Thanks for your help!

4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

If you use it for packet writing...YES!! Roxio ECDC supports this. I dont think Incd does.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    DXCPlatinum 3.20
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    Dvd2one/Nero 551054[/small]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

An RW is ready to burn out of the case....

As Yuriv stated the burning program sets up the format before burning....

Once you have burned the rw, you have 2 options after in terms of formatting...

1. Quick erase - this just removes the TOCS (directories) AND NOT THE PHYSICAL DATA - it is quicker but leaves the physical stuff on but unaccessible.

2. FULL erase - this removes ALL data from the disc and takes longer to do - basically burns the dvd data layer and formats into a recordable layer.

6. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

I find that when using nero I keep knackering DVD-RW's. I manage to get stuff on them but when I try to erase I get a 'Error erasing the disc'

What could I be doing wrong?

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Maybe just down to the brand of media, best way to test it is get a verbatim rw and try it...

Wierd though as it will write to it but not erase....

Did you try BOTH options and did you get the same message?

Are you sure you are trying to erase a: an rw and b: erase via the correct drive

8. DLBrower

DLBrower Guest

I am having a similar problem. I just received a new batch of Optodisk DVD - R/W. They record fine but when I try to erase I get an "Illegal Medium" message from Nero, a quick completion of the status bar from Record Now with no erasure of the disk and an Error Message from DVD Info Pro stating that it could not erase. The interesting thing is my first batch of Optodisks erased just fine. Other than trying another brand, anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks.