1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Type of Audio Connection for DVD

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by elperron, Apr 5, 2006.

1. elperron

elperron Member

I'm confused as to what type of audio connection I should use between my DVD player and Amplifier. I can use digital coaxial, toslink, or Multi Channel Input (6 RCA connections, one for each channel). I have a Sony DVP-NC80V DVD player and a Sony STR-DE575 Receiver with Bose sattelite speakers/subwoofer.

Which one is better?

Thanks,

2. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Hook-up quality in this order-
    1-Toslink (nothing like the speed of light!)
    2-Digital/coaxial
    3-Multi channel inputs (lots of cables but usefull for other apps.)

Go toslink whenever possible!

I am not familiar with the Bose system and it may require something else but I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2006
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi elperron! Welcome to afterdawn if you're new. Let me see how I can most simply explain:

You want to choose between coaxial and toslink (optical)...but the "mulitiple channel inputs" as you called it is a whole different thing from the other two.

First of all, there is so little difference between the coaxial and optical (toslink) that it isn't worth writing about. If you're running a cable over say 25 feet, you're better off with optical but who does that? So it makes no difference (technically, optical is better but the difference is really indistinguishable except over longer distances, then it does matter). Some say that the optical cables are more fragile than the coaxial but I've never experienced trouble with either.

Your 5.1 ("multi-channel") is a whole different thing and not carrying the same signal as the coaxial or optical but rather, it carries five fully independent analog signals for the right front, left front, center, suppound left, surround right which are totally seperate tracks for lack of a better term and a less "processed" signal. If you have a good receiver, it has a totally different sound...if it is a quality recording on the DVD, the 5.1 can be pretty damned awesome because each and every channel is distinctly recorded seperate from the others. The .1 is referring to the LFE (low frequency effects) to that there are special sound effects designed for the subwoofer rather that just a filtering of all low frequencies.

So, in short, you want to choose either coaxial OR optical along with the "multi-channel" ...the multi-channel does require a bunch more cables but you'll find that sometimes, it's well worth it.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Boxwrench ... you beat me to it buddy!! We must have been typing at the same time but at least we're not giving out conflicting information LOL!

5. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@gerry1,Soooo.... we meet again! You missed it by that...much!-(Maxwell Smart)

Yes , A meeting of great minds! lol!!!

False information is free....I'm sending a bill, LMAO!

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Boxwrench..."Maxwell Smart" eh?? You're showing your age buddy LOL! "Get Smart" is one of my favorites (I guess it's tied for first place with Bullwinkle LOL!).

I like your answers better than mine in the forums...I talk too friggin much lol!

7. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@gerry1 You my friend have the gift of gab,a silver tongue if you will! I only wish I could express myself as you do. Sometimes my lack of education shows,but I do manage.