1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu distro for Asus Eee PC 901?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by KajNrig, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Ah, gotcha. That worked perfectly.

Now to further explain my "two generic kernels" issue...

This is what I have:

As you can see, there are three kernels here - the 2.6.27-7 generic, 2.6.27-11 generic, and the eeepc kernels. Before I installed the eeepc kernel, there was only one generic kernel. Now there are two. How do I get rid of one or the other generic ones? And which one should I get rid of? I'm guessing it should be 2.6.27-7 since it's probably older, but still.

Thanks again. I've almost got everything figured out perfect for this.

2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

There is a bit at the bottom of http://array.org/ubuntu/setup-intrepid.html that discusses the generic kernel:

So you probably want to do the first bit about disabling updates, and then manually remove the older kernel that is redundant. Personally, I just thought screw it and did the step 2 and nuked the generic kernel completely to save a bit of precious hard drive space. To manually remove just one version, you could probably adapting that step 2 to something like:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-.*2.6.27-7-generic

The other option is just to add the hiddenmenu option to the menu.lst file, and change the default option to 2. You'll never even notice anything going on in there.

3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Been having a bit of a look at Ubuntu 9.04... The hardware is all appearing to work ok straight from the install, but the tray utility to control wireless and bluetooth is crap. There is a repository at statux.org that provides an alternate tray utility, but it is coded in mono. I can at least report that mono can be purged still from 9.04, but I'm not putting it back on there just to control my power use. There is also a lot of information around that there are regressions in the Intel video chipset drivers. I'd personally be sticking to 8.10 + array.org repository, and will be reinstalling it in a little bit.

Edit: http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/ has a package for the control tray under 9.04. MUCH better option. Might keep playing with it a bit longer and try to see if the video regression is actually an issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  4. osborne51

osborne51 Member

You use eee-control it is good. I do like mono. bye.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Mate, I would rather sacrifice my first born child than have the poison that is mono on my system. It is the first thing I uninstall, and a lot of other useful programs have dependencies on python libraries, not just some shitty post-it-note program and just-another-music-player. MPlayer is all I need for audio and video thanks.

6. osborne51

osborne51 Member

You talk like child, and not knowing how computers work. Mono works good, hating over no reason helps no one.

7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Mono is a patent minefield, of which only Novell has immunity. As the recent FAT patent lawsuit has shown, Microsoft is prepared to litigate. That is all the reason I need, I refuse to be at the beck and call of Microsoft, period. How so don't I know how computers work?

How about you stop murdering the English language if you want some credibility in your personal attacks too?

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Nicely put Mick .. all that help.. and then getting crap off some topic hijacker... who sounds like a right prick to me anyway.

Only reason I have any mono dependencies on my system are for a couple of mulitmedia apps which for some odd reason are picking them up through gtk2+

I need to mention this on #debian sometime and get some opinions.. because of all distros you would think the debian people would have some really big issues with it.

I suggest we ignore this osborne51 prat.. or show him how much he knows about computers by "helping" him... hdparm has a few really brilliant variables XD

9. osborne51

osborne51 Member

I like hdparm.

10. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Plenty of good alternatives to all the mono rubbish too. Funny, someone finally decided to port Tomboy to C++ (GNote), and now all the Tomboy people who for ages have told people who distrust mono to do something about it themselves are bitchy because he did. In a few days he essentially did a line for line port, improving the speed and memory usage because it is now binary code rather than interpreted.

Personally, I prefer a good quality diary for keeping track of my shit. It works when the power goes out.

11. osborne51

osborne51 Member

No one like C++ on linux always so slow like in kde. C is good. C++ just C for dummies.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't understand you at all.. are you over 6 years old?

C++ supercedes C .. why??.. how about something like 1000 more operators?

Personally though I can code in both C and C++.. and fortran and cobol and even algol.. I prefer Ruby and python.. not got my head round perl quite yet.

Step aside child.. you are drastically out of your league in here.. This isn't your thread.. and you are off topic .. any more and we might stop playing nice .. whatcha think Mick me old mate?

13. osborne51

osborne51 Member

I not good english sorry you no understand. :) I just try helping not meaning harm will go now.

14. OzMick

OzMick Guest

And C# is C++ for imbeciles. If you think C++ runs bad, C# is by definition much, much worse. You obviously know little about compilers, as C++ and C both compile to machine code. Get a clue noob.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  15. varnull

varnull Guest

After that interruption.. where were we up to with the ubuntu things? resolved or what??

16. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Yes, quite. And thanks for the help, both of you. I've done some more mucking around since I last updated, and now there are a few more bugs I'd like to present to you two.

Firstly, the major addition (or major for me):

I unchecked nautilus's "Show Desktop" and installed CCSM and the Wallpaper plugin, and had the whole separate wallpapers for each workspace thing going.

Bugs:

Sometimes Suspend only leads to the computer hanging on a black screen. Usually it'll suspend correctly, but then sometimes after coming back it'll hang again. This has been an issue since I first installed Ubuntu. I've been looking around for fixes and such, but I honestly haven't thought too much of it.

After coming back from Suspend, compiz decides to fail on me. I have to manually refresh it to get my wallpapers back.

After installing compiz and turning on the wallpaper plugin, I can't get any icons to appear on the Desktop. I know this is a common issue, so I installed AWN, but I'd still like to be able to interact with my Desktop. I've tried running the scripts suggested by this guy, but I can't even get past the first step. Any help with the Terminal commands would be great.

17. varnull

varnull Guest

personally I like to use my cpu cycles for things I'm doing and not junk like cpompiz .. my idea of linux is sleek and fast not bloated out with unnecessary (and very buggy) pretties.

All that compiz stuff in the link looks pointless as it seems to be directed at kde.. another thing I don't like and don't use.

pretty sure you are on your own now.. I'm not even looking at that stuff any more because I don't know how it works.. and I'm not honestly interested in knowing or breaking my already falling apart debian etch experimenting.

18. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

True, true. I honestly don't think much of it; I'm actually not too sure what made me do it in the first place. That said, it IS a neat little thing, and it doesn't mess with my system to the point where I dislike it. At least compiz didn't add any NEW problems, like constantly freezing my screen or anything like that.

Scratch that. I remember it was because I didn't like the regular Ubuntu wallpaper, and I didn't like the fact that the wallpaper was the same on each workspace. That led me to thinking why Ubuntu couldn't generate separate wallpapers for each workspace.

But that's that. Thanks anyway, varnull.