1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[ubuntu] Encrypted home folder.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by WW3, Oct 2, 2010.

1. WW3

WW3 Regular member

hi, i got a new drive in the mail yesterday, and went to upgrade it last night, while the operating system was installing i thought it be a good idea to move some of the old files that i have on smaller drive over to the new one, so i got my live cd and was going to copy the files over to the new drive on an sd card i had. i take the drive, place it in the tower. run the live cd, go to the directory in which the files are located and i see it says 'access your private data.desktop' so i click it, and it asks for a pass phrase, now, i do not remember ever entering a pass phrase at install, but it is asking me for one.

I decide to go online to try and find a way to access the files, i wind up attempting to chroot the drive with no luck, so i reboot the system to run a program under vista, Ext2Read. i go to the home directory and i get a bunch of encrypted files, now, knowing this isn't going to work, i reboot the computer and boot from ubuntu disk, keep in mind that xp is still installing on my netbook, which is where the drive was originally from.

anyways i go to login, all seems normal. my custom grub and login screen are as they where, but when i get to Gnome, it looks just like a live cd, all of my programs are there and installed but i cannot access my home directory. the install is about finished on my netbook, and it's pushing 2 A.M. i decide to full with it tomorrow.

i get up, replace the drive and boot up, again all is normal. I log in and it's the same as the night before, looks exactly like a live cd session, all of my files are still there i just cannot access them, it says that the drive is 92% full like it did before all this started. i cannot access home either.

i tried to use the same home folder for a second user, no go. it just says access your private data.desktop and i've also tried to manually recover the folder. so, i turn to you all for some if any help, thank you in advance!

i hope to get this resolved, and i look forward to your responses.

system is 10.04 btw.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

kick it up in single user mode (hit <esc> when the pretty ubuntu splash screen is showing) then have a look at your etc/fstab file .. I dunno.. I installed 10.10 on an old lappy the other day as a test of my PXE network boot server setup.. and it's slow as hell and seems rather buggy to me.

as for the encryption.. if you didn't put a pass phrase in then try blank.. hahahaha .. or go ask one of the asshats on the ubuntu forums if there is a default.. they make the crap after all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010