1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu good or not

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by mrcapdown, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Hello there
    just ordered some Ubuntu cd off there site thay seen like a good OS as the say its linux for humans lol

oh and what tipe of software dose it use, just want to know the basics of it really

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Ubuntu Linux is a great Linux OS for beginners and advanced users alike. For your software question Ubuntu installs lots of *free* software. This software isnt your average "wrote by a college kid for a project" freeware. It includes software such as "The Gimp" an excellent PhotoShop type application. I cant tell you all of the software it has with it without shutting down and booting to Ubuntu but I think I will be using Ubuntu for a long time.

3. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hey,

I have used Ubuntu for a while now and have enjoyed it fully. It has almost all the programs I need and the current release (Dapper Drake) has excellent hardware support. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 8.99/10, in fact a 9.2 for the new version. :)

4. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I ordered those same disc.... I can hardly wait to try it.... I'm so sick of microsoft I could puke.... (very, very, long story) anyone know of any reading material other than the forums for the total newb to linux? I love Afterdawn more than I love any other site out there and for that reason I'm gonna spare you guys my onslaught of questions till I've read a lil more about about the lil penguin. Just looking for a good foundation. I know each version will vary.... but I would imagine alot of the functions and what not are the same. Just curious.... thanks you all... lovin' afterdawn

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

6. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

thanx dolphin2 4 the book advice i need a lil jump start 4 my new os coming

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I hope you guys didn't pay for your copies, you can get a copy (or many copies) mailed to you absolutely free to distribute to your friends. Free discs AND free postage. The site (at least used to) encourage that if you were going to order one, you may as well order 10 or 20, as the postage costs them more than the pressed discs do combined.

8. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Yes i am pretty sure they ordered from Ubuntu's site.....Most of the time it is free....but some places overseas might cost money........And also i don't see the point in waiting a month to get a cd to installl Ubuntu(Yes that is how long they take)...Why not just download it and burn it to a CD-R?

9. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

yes it was free i got 5 copy to hand out to friends and family

10. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Yes that is where I ordered them and yes, I have a few friends interested as well, so of course I got the biggest package.... Now back to your statement about burning... Thanks to these forums I have mastered the art of DVD burning as far as movies go... But as far as software and ISO I still have alot to learn.. now I did notice you said cd and not dvd (I'll get back to that) but it raised the long since unanswered question of mine of whats a good program to use to write ISO images? I do remember DVD Decryptor had the ability to... but the operator (me*) had no idea how to... now I know I'm way off the subject for this particular thread but could somebody message me with a lil advice? Now back to what you were saying about burning to cd.. I'll definetly give it a shot... the reason I was willing to wait the entire month was I was buying time to figure out a lil more about Linux before I jumped right in. Thanks you all....

11. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

LMAO... (just checked the amazon link) yeah I bet that would a great place to start..

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

It actually is an excellent book. Takes you step-by-step in things you need to know about Linux.

Getting Ubuntu in the mail on CD is a good idea, however, by the time you get it you need to update. Linux updates are more frequent than Microsoft and it's 2nd Tuesday of the month. Linux at times updates daily. Be sure to keep the system updated as it's still a work in progress.

13. DMW

DMW Regular member

The ubuntu and kubuntu forums are fantastic!!

I have asked, what I though to be really stupid questions, but always get a relevant, polite and concise answer.

I have noticed recently that posts seem to be appearing in this Linux forum quite quickly recently, maybe we'll endup with a good Linux knowledgebsae here too :)

14. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

yer DMW im with u on that i think i will need to help with silly O&A lol

15. DMW

DMW Regular member

LOL, silly Q&A for Linux should be quite easy, I could dig up my posts from other forums, they even seem daft to me now, but questions always do until you know the answer!!

16. mrbildo

mrbildo Member

Ubuntu is awesome, best OS available at the moment in my experience.

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

It won't be saying that once you see all the security holes it has... It's a bloody nightmare.

18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

So true..And the missing bits, things that just refuse to run for no identifiable reason..etc.
    It's a nice introduction but please do make sure you address the main security issue by changing all user and root passwords immediately after install before going online. I ran with it for about 3 weeks.
    it's nice and easy, very windoze like until you want to do something a little off the beaten track. Then it's a pain in the .....

19. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Whats your opinion of openSuSE 10.1?

20. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Too much stuff bundled with it. And KDE...eeewwww! Don't like the "packaged" Linux distros myself. Same goes for Redhat..Too much junk, and not enough choice. SuSE looks nice but it's way to resource heavy for me.