1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu good or not

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by mrcapdown, Jun 7, 2006.

1. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

And as always, in comes Jan to prove my point ;-)

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

@The Fiend and Jan

What distro are you currently using...I am asking this because I am currently using Ubuntu and now that i heard it has alot of security holes I would like to switch. :D

3. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Go for Debian, OpenSuSE, or something like Fedora Core.
    I'm using Debian for work, OpenSuSE for desktop, and have had some good experiences with Fedora @ work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

hmmmmm....I think i will try Debian
    I have Suse 10.1 but i don't feel like doing the five disk install.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

When you get it installed you need to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file
    Here's mine for reference.

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-12 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-10 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-9 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-8 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-7 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-6 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-5 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-4 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-3 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20060419)]/ unstable main
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main

#Local Mirror
    deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
    #deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

#Security
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

#Multimedia
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ stable main
    #deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ stable main

#Firewall
    deb http://debian.seismo.ethz.ch sarge ethz_sed
    #Config
    deb http://debian.seismo.ethz.ch/debian/ sarge ethz_sed

#deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

Theres a bug in the Firewall config setup..reports an error (missing file) I got the info off the site that makes the software. Maybe they are updating the files. Just so you know if you use my file. The error does no harm.. I'll update the file when I find out exactly what the problem is with it.

6. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Hey Jan

I changed my mind yesterday and decided to go with Fedora Core 5
    But I will definently save that source log for later use if i decide to use debian.
    Thanks alot though.........Linux Guru :D

7. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

@ tocool4u

you said "I have Suse 10.1 but I don't feel like doing the five disk install."

You only really use 3 of those disc... the other two have packages in case you want to add more... So you won't really need them till you add-on. Its actually a quick install... bout' 30 minutes or so.. give or take

(not trying to divert you.. I've heared great things about debian as well) just wanted you to know

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I was given this link by another member.. This looks like a really interesting distro. I have it installed on my old p2 testbed and it runs...slow but it works. Check it out..

http://videolinux.net/forum/index.php

9. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Thanks, I'll have to try it out... that's the first I've heared of it. Like to see some screen shots but I'm heading out the door.. try and dig some up when I get back. Sounds like a winner since I use dual monitors.

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  11. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

thats sharp! I may have to try that since SuSE doesn't like my network card. I have a NVIDIA installed,I also have a 3COM I could throw in it and I'm sure it would work fine, but after 3 days of determining that was "the problem" I think I'll wait. This video Linux definetly has my undivided attention for the time being... don't see anyone complaining about NVIDIA on there site either, so maybe I can get it up and running w/o changing hardware. Sounds incredibly lazy huh? Actually I'm just trying to keep from breaking the seal. But I better wait till I finish this book on Linux.... I haven't got to WINE yet...

Just wondering: Has anyone seen Revolution OS? I watched 9 minutes of it on IFILM... can't seem to find anywhere hosting the whole film. I'd love to see the rest, if anyone knows of a place please let me know.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Not a hosting site for the film but where you can get it. http://www.revolution-os.com/

VideoLinux is in the Alpha stage. What this means is it's a very early release but something to keep an eye out for. I installed it on one of my computers and I'm seeing what I can do with it. I shall keep everyone posted.

13. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

thanks once again Dolphin.... you always come thru

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I have now succesfully insatlled videolinux on an ancient machine... It seems to work well, apart from the obvious alpha type things. Looks good so far. I'm going to install it on a machine that will do it justice sometime in the week if I get chance.
    Just the fact that it runs on a p2 333 with less than 200MB ram proves that it's pretty stable. :) (the entire OS install is less than 1.9GB)

15. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

16. drakshug

drakshug Member

Fiend has a downer on ubuntu and goes on about unshadowed passwords. Ahem. I've always used shadowed passwords on ubuntu. It gives you the choice of shadowed or unshadowed. As for sudo..........OK nice point but ubuntu doesn't allow full root usage unless you are as su and not sudo. Compare it with windows which allows everything.
    You point out you are a debian user - What is the core of Ubuntu?
    Debian? It seems to be the old debian ubuntu gripe. As for debian being bug and hacker free - how many debian updates have been provided by the ubuntu team?
    The only gripe I have with ubuntu 6 is it's crap pppoe support - reboot and it is gone but I've heard the same complaints from suse, debian and redhat users too.
    That is my input and I've been on both debian and ubuntu for quite a few years.

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I take it you do realise that what you just stated has F*CKALL to do with what i said ?
    And not to mention you're claiming i said things i never even mentioned.
    Let me quote myself here :
    Now, a question arises :where exactly did i say that Debian was bug and hacker free?
    Because i don't remember saying that, and i can't seem to find it in any of myposts in this thread.

And last but not least, you said :
    I'd have to ask you what part of the words Exploit and Vulnerability you don't understand...
    I was talking about an exploit that enabled an attacker to gain root rights on vulnerable Ubuntu machines through a flaw in the Sudo scripting.

Next time if you're going to try and debunk what i said, at least take the time to properly read through my posts and come up with something that doesn't make you sound like another fanboy.

[edit] and let me add, you said, and i quote
    Funny, this is what i know about Ubuntu's existance :
    (source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution) )
    Care to try again ? [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  18. drakshug

drakshug Member

So what exactly is your gripe with ubuntu as a vast majority of your posts slams it?
    You said you use debian for work. Is that with security holes? Basically ubuntu is a debian build, isn't it?
    My point was that scanning the linux boards (not just this thread) shows the majority of your posts are anti-ubuntu. Why?
    As for your crits - there are exploits on every linux distro. You crit the sudo system allowing outside control and in theory allowing the ability to access root from outside. There are other exploits, disregarding sudo, to gain access to root and I'm quite happy running my machine as a user and doing sudo to change stuff rather than running as root (like in windows).
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree and I will have to stop reading between the lines. :)

19. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

My gripes with Ubuntu where the fact that like windows, they patched up holes in security with equally sized holes, it had bad scripting flaws, and more holes than a swiss cheese.
    Note emphasis on "where", as you are reacting to posts made in JUNE, and i have since somewhat changed my mind about it, as the Ubuntu team made some proper fixes for the worst vulnerability's.
    The reason i react so strongly is that you are taking things out of context, commenting on things that no longer apply to the distro, and making alot of assumptions, that are far from the truth.

But here's a simple solution, you stop commenting on my (mostly former) dislike of Ubuntu, and i won't have to slap you about the head with inconsistancies in your posts, and your (apparent) "selective" reading.

20. drakshug

drakshug Member

No probs fiend. I accept your points that you have changed your views.
    By the way my head is extremely hard so I doubt if it would do any good.
    Anyway let's forget it and I withdraw my comments seeing as they are on out of date stuff.
    So what would you recommend now? I'm going back to ubuntu 5.1 as the Ubuntu 6 has an almost impossible to use adsl. That is using both pppoeconf and rp-pppoe. It installs fine and then refuses to connect after a reboot. I'm not much into suse (5 disks) and don't want to go back to debian. What about Gentoo?