1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu--great--but still gives me some problems

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Halen5150, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Guys;

Well; I took the dive and I am now running a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu Linux. As for my first impressions; I love the layout of the OS and just about everything else about it. But; I need someone to give me a really good guide on how to install my favorite programs; because it's the number one problem I've come across. So; if someone could walk me through it step by step; oh...say; like trying to install the Adobe Flash Plugin; it would be great.

...And please; none of that easy shortcut crap--I mean the real deal. [i.e. don't make it to where I just use the 'add/remove' dialog--show me how you do it in the terminal or any other place for that matter.]

THANKS AD!

--Halen5150

p.s. anybody have a reccomendation of a good book to pick up so I can get a good grip on the Linux OS in general so I'm more comfortable navigating it--and actually know what I'm doing when I am? lol

THHHAAANNNKS!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

it's already that simple.. no matter which way you decide to install it.. anyways here is a very helpful link that has what your looking for I think. In case you don't already know hit ctrl+f and type what your looking for on the page.. (like Adobe for instance) that will save you a whole lot of time in the future.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:...er_with_Plug-in_for_Mozilla_Firefox_in_Feisty

Look at that page like a cheat sheet for copying and pasting commands into terminal. Over time you will remember them and you will most likely sudo apt-get install *most everything you add. I'll help you if you need any further assistance.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Skitzy Thanks for the help man!

~~ahhh...no more worrying about whether I can upgrade to Vista! Linux 4EVER@!

4. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Hello ive got some problems with ubuntu myself and was wondering if anyone could help. Im trying to install the new version of ubuntu 7.04. My problem is whenever i try to install it loads kernel to 100% and hangs. Also does this when performing install in safe graphics mode and check disc for bad sectors. any help is appreciated.

5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Hi Spike.. this is usually because of old config files left over on the partition. exactly which files these may be is a mystery.

Is it just refusing to install any further, or making you sit through the whole process and then hanging on reboot? If the second have a look (by booting to runlevel 2) at the /etc/grub/boot??/menu.list file and check it's loading from the right drive/partition.

A lot of people seem to be having problems upgrading ubuntu/debian between versions. There have been some pretty radical changes recently.

6. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Ok well i got past one problem all to come to another. My media must have been bad because i burned to a different disc. Goes past loading kernel but is not stuck on Kernel Panic - Not synching unable to mount root on vfs unknown block.

7. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Ok well i got past one problem all to come to another. My media must have been bad because i burned to a different disc. Goes past loading kernel but is now stuck on Kernel Panic - Not synching unable to mount root on vfs unknown block.

8. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Here's an explanation of the problem, step by step:

"Kernel panic - " The computer has reached a point where it is unable to continue; it has no choice but to halt.

"- not syncing" "The good news is, I wasn't in the middle of trying to write un-saved changes to disk when I died." Linux tries to do this ("to sync the filesystem") just before it halts, and it's telling you .. albeit in a backwards sort of way .. that it succeeded in doing that.

"Unable to mount root filesystem" One of the first things that the kernel must do is to "mount" (make available) the "root" (that is, "/") file system. It could not do that.

"On unknown block(0,0)" This is the device-number (0) and the partition-number (0) of the device where the kernel expects the root filesystem to be.

Probable causes: (in order)

1. The most likely cause is that the root= parameter, which must be specified in the boot-loader's kernel command line, is incorrect or specifies the wrong device. You're supposed to be able to identify the device by label; I've never got that to work. I use something like root=/dev/hda1.
    2. Boot-loaders like Grub may count partitions starting from #0; Linux counts them from #1.
    3. Some distros use a complicated "initrd" mechanism to load disk drivers. If this process isn't working for your particular device, there can be grief.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  9. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

The problem was with the media i was using. I got it figured out and installed it successfully. Thanks for your advice and knowledge.