1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu not seeing Ssd on install.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by mrcapdown, Oct 4, 2018.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

So I've just thrown together a cheap system to install Ubuntu on.

I'm completely new to Linux but I'm very keen to have a play about with it, hence this cheap new bulid so I can leave my main bulid alone.

Specs are

AMD a10 7800 Oc to 4.3Ghz

4gb off DDR3 memory (8gb stick on the way)

SanDisk extreme 2 SDD 120gb

Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 motherboard

Coolmaster masterbox q300l

I'm trying to install Ubuntu but when I get to the part to chose a drive to install the is too my Ssd is not there.

As I said I'm very new to Linux so please go easy.

Attached Files:

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does the drive show up in the bios.

3. darsaal

darsaal Newbie

Are you using the manual installation option; "Something Else". You need to do that because if you don't and something goes wrong, you will have no clue what it was. If you have any personal data on your windows that is important to you, you need to first back it up to another drive. If windows is on the SSD, it is almost certainly taking up all the space on the drive so you need to shrink the windows partition as suggested above. Best to do this with the windows tool Disk Management. If you have been using windows for some time, you should probably run Disk Defragmenter prior to shrinking the windows partition. After shrinking the partition, re-boot and run the chkdsk /f command on windows.

One other thing you need to be aware of is that a default install of windows 10 uses UEFI so I would suggest you read the Ubuntu documentation at the link below on dual booting with UEFI and save yourself a lot of grief later on. I is particularly important if you are like the 90% of home computer users who have never installed any operating system. You will need to identify the correct drive during the install so familiarize yourself with Linux drive/partition naming conventions. check the more information on official site
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

4. Hasnat Java

Hasnat Java Newbie

Had the same problem a while back. Fixed by updating my bios, maybe try that?

ps355528 likes this.
  5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

also running in live mode from the install medium and seeing if the ssd exists there too?.. maybe making the required partitions first could help?