1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu on an HP Pavillion zv6000

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by evenbom, Nov 27, 2005.

1. evenbom

evenbom Member

Hey! I´m trying to join the Linux revolution... I just bought a new HP zv6000 series with ATI Radeon 128Mg graphics card (I think it is a "200"). The card has proved to be a challenge and I had to give up. Does anyone know if Ubuntu can go on this machine at this time?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

don't know much about ubuntu as there's far too much choice in the Linux world. i've used Mandrake Linux at work for a few years since version 8.1 i think it was, i'm now up to 10.1. must update it to Mandriva 2006.
    The only thing i know about Ubuntu is it's called "ubuntu for humans" apparently :)

but the point of my reply is that i've recently bought a HP ze2000 laptop, it has Radeon 200M graphics (haven't bothered to find out what that means yet! but i know it's 128Meg). anyway my laptop is primarily WinXP Pro, it's now dual-booted with Mandriva Linux 2006 (64bit version as my cpu is an AMD Turion64). i would recommend downloading Mandriva Linux 2006 personally, it works an absolute treat on my laptop.

a bit of google searching should help you find if ubuntu works on your laptop but as i say, this version of Mandriva is the best i've used yet. i've just gotta finish off tweaking Quake & Quakeworld. i've already got prboom installed with the WAD files for doom and doom2 as i've owned the originals for donkeys years

3. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

@evenbom

if you are using ubuntu 5.10 it should run on the HP zv6000 , sometimes getting the graphics cards and other things is a nightmare

try ubuntus website they have a link to a set up site where you view how to set it up properly , as creaky said if you cant do it try Mandriva Linux 2006 , ive used older versions of mandrake and i only tried ubuntu 5.10 cause a friend recomened it , i ditched windows completely on my desktop and just use it on my lappy but dont give up on ubuntu you will grow to love it

mark

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  4. evenbom

evenbom Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I hope to hear to hear from more people too.

5. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

the easiest thing to do would be to obtain a latest copy of a bootable version like knoppix and to check for system compatibility, you will know if no errors occur while loading...

if it loads succesfuly, get the latest version of ubuntu and install...

if this is incorrect, i have only really had experience (because i use) Fedora Core 4, Knoppix, Boot Everywhere Linux, BG Recue Linux...

ohpe i helped...

6. creaky

my Linux install is corrupted or broken. i boot up and it core dumps repeatedly until it runs out of swap. very annoying, needs a reinstall. ah well, got my reliable XP 'til then as it's a dual boot :O

7. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

@creaky

have you tried the repair option ?
    i believe you can download it of the mandriva site (i believe this is the version you are using )

8. creaky

naw, i'm gonna reinstall. if it goes splat again i'll try the 32-bit version for a while

9. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Im just in the process of dl mandrake 10.1 ,

whats it like ? been using ubuntu for a while and before that suse 9 and red hat , like to change every few months or so , did ditch windows for about 6 months but i dual boot now cause the girlfriend cant use linux

10. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i see...

i personally have two towers on my desk...

one for my work and another for all my personal stuff which is why i have a dual boot on my personal computer with it set to automaticaly load windows without any input, so everyone in my home can get into windows, now all they need to work out is how to use my KVM switch...

11. creaky

Mandrake is excellent, more of a 'fun' Linux than some of the other well-known ones...

12. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Well just about to install mandrake , wish me luck ! any problems i know where to come , one Q though will i have to partition the hdd with something like the ubuntu or knoppix disk ? or can you do it via the install from mandrake ? or does mandrake have a partioning disk seperate
    ie, dl from website

mark

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  13. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

you should be able to do the partitioning inside the install, for fedora core you have the option to delete all pre-made linux partitions and have the installer autopartition everything for you, you should be able to do everything alright :)

14. Mega-Hawk

Mega-Hawk Member

Hey there.

Just wanne say I have a HP pavilion zv6000 to and I run ubuntu 5.10 breezy on it.
    Have tryet the 64 bit and the 32 bit.
    Right now I run 32 bit.

when it is finish installing you have to chance your xorg.conf file the driver must be set to vesa and then it almost work he he.
    The screen can run up to 1280 X 800 but it will only run 1024 X 768
    But better then nothing ;o)

Sorry for my bad english

15. creaky

@Mega-Hawk - your English sounds fine to me :)

16. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Hey ,

im really struggling to install mandrake at the mo , get to the partioning bit (totally diff to ubuntu) partition the hdd , but cant mount it or go any further , ahhhhhh , any help greatly apreciated

mark

17. creaky

@celticfc1 - you using the GUI to install i take it ?. it's real easy when you get to the partition bit, what size disk you got and i'll give you example partition sizes that i use...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  18. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

ummm , i downloaded the install dvd from the site , hdd is 80gb got roughly 33gb left normally only use 10-15gb on linux , totally stuck for the first time

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  19. creaky

it honestly is easy, at some point in the partition setup you see a nice colourful bar or 2 which represents entire hard disc partition. how i split the partitions is like this -

"/" i use i think 400MB
    /var i use 400MB
    /usr i use 4GB
    /home i use the rest that's left
    /swap i usually just stick to 512MB. there's proper recommended ways to size the swap but i only ever do that properly when i build Unix servers at work. at home i just pick 512MB

that's it i think, can't check the machine at the moment as my eldest is using laptop and she's booted into XP. i'll check later and revise the sizes if need be.

what you have to do with the colourful partition bar is to click on it then create a filesystem at a time. i'm not explaining it as best as i can, i'll see if i can find a pictorial example on the net. here ya go -
    http://www.orbdesigns.com/bpages/2001/orbimages/22.r2.mdk72.png
    http://users.telenet.be/fhimpe/mandrake/pics/install1th.jpeg

20. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Thanks creaky , i'll give it a try a see how i get on , will post back and let you know

mark