1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uh oh...computer....dead?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Oct 5, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

ok...I was cleaning the thermal paste off my P4 (with 99% isopropyl alcohol, as everyone suggests) and I got a little on my mobo. The computer was turned off, power unplugged, and it happened. I am afraid to turn it on, and dont know what to do. help? btw...is isopropyl alcohol conductive?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

If it's the type you bought in a Drug Store -- there is a good chance that it had water content to it -- it's sold as Rubbing Alcohol.

However if you bought Pure 99.9% [bold]anhydrous[/bold] isopropyl alcohol -- This water-free product is a highly efficient and economical all-purpose cleaner for a wide range of technical applications and sensitive surfaces. It is safe on all surfaces and will not harm plastics, non residual with no rinsing or wiping required.

Regards !

3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

ok...it says "99% Isopropyl Alcohol Antimicrobial Use" "99% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume" "First Aid Antiseptic"

Thats what I used, thats what got onto the motherboard, is it OK to turn on the computer?

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That is plain Rubbing Alcohol -- not to be used on electrical parts ! It leaves a greasy film and has a water content. You can go to a repair shop and buy the Electronic Parts cleaning fluid , and clean up the greasy film this thing has left, then re-apply your thermal coat ! And you should be homefree !

Regards !