1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulead:some chapters exceed the total number of frames

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rpapa, Feb 8, 2004.

1. rpapa

rpapa Member

when creating a dvd in Ulead dvd movie factory, I get an error:

some chapters exceed the total number of frames

what do i do to get rid of this error?

thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Try not to put Chapters so close to the End of the Movie....

3. taclark

taclark Guest

Quoting Guy Nicholson, The ADS Forum:

"I found out that Ulead DMF2 is misreporting the MPEG (NTSC 23.974fps) as 1hour and 24mins long. So when I generate automatic chapters at 5 mins spacing then the chapters go up to 1h20m, and the error is reported.

Now if I burn without any chapters, the real movie length is actually only 1h08m - so no wonder those chapter settings like 1h10m, 1h15m, 1h20m are causing an error.

http://pub9.ezboard.com/fpyro1394frm9.showMessage?topicID=66.topic

Whether this movie length reporting is VBR related, I am not sure.

So the workaround (assuming Ulead don't provide a patch...) if your MPEG file is like mine (NTSC at 23.9..fps) and this problem is occuring is to assume it's at least 20% shorter, and only put chapter points less than that - in my case 1h07m. The only problem is that Ulead DMF2 won't show the correct movie position for each chapter - on the final DVD each chapter will be later than appeared in DMF2 chapter tool, but anyway the movie burned for me with chapters.

Another way is to burn the DVD without chapters to the hard disk, then view using DVD player software like RealMagic Hollywood+ from the hard disk and write down the times where you want chapter points. Then go back to DMF2, and create chapter points with the same timecodes - you won't see the real movie position due to the mistiming, but when you finally burn again the chapter points should be in right places."

4. taclark

taclark Guest

I've tried this. It works. If I don't put chapters beyond 90 minutes in a 120 movie, I don't get the error. One chapter beyond 90 minutes and I can't burn the DVD.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

You also shouldn"t be useing Mpeg files at 23.976fps for makeing DVD"s unless you have added 3:2 Pulldown Flags to make it 29.976fps because the DVD Standard does not accept 23.976fps Mpeg file unless there are 3:2 Pulldown Flags added......

6. taclark

taclark Guest

Minion,

I don't understand your comment about the 3:2 pulldown flags. I've seen other references to 3:2 pulldowns and always wondered what they're all about.

When do I need to need to worry about 3:2 pulldown flags?

I've imported VOBs into Wombles Mpeg Video Wizard (I think its the same or similar to MPEG2VCR), edited the clips, exported as .mpg, and then burned the movies in Ulead's Movie Factory. As far as I can tell, everything is fine except that I can't have chapters in the last 30 minutes. Is this a 3:2 pulldown problem?

I've had a bigger problem working with Premiere Pro. I get the video into Premiere in a round about way, exporting MPEG, video-only, from Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard. But this video is way out of sync with the audio. The video seems to play as if in "fast-forward" motion, yet I timed the movie, and the length of the movie is what it should be. In other words, a two-hour movie takes two hours to play on the time line, but the video jerks, stops, stutters, and appears to be in fast forward when it plays. Could this be because my frame rates are not right, i.e. 3:2 pulldown problems?

I see that you've already explained 3:2 pulldown:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/64011

And I'm trying to learn what I can. . .but aside from understanding the basics, what is the fix? What should I be doing differently?

Your input is always appreciated.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Help! Please educate me.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2004
  7. Minion

Minion Senior member

3:2 Pulldown is used on Source files that are 23.976fps/24fps to Make them 29.976fps which is what the Files need to be to be DVD compliant...So if you have AVI files that are 23.976fps then they have to be encoded with 3:2 Pulldown to make them DVD Compliant, if you Just plain Encode them to 29.976fps then the encode just Duplicates every 4th frame to make 23.976fps into 29.976fps which can give you Choppy Playback...I usually encode my 23.976fps AVI Files into Mpeg files at 23.976fps then use a simple tool called "DoPulldown" to add the 3:2 Pulldown Flags..This is how Retail DVD"s are Created because Most Hollywood Movies are Shot on Film at 23.976fps/24fps so to make them Compliant with the NTSC Specification they add 3:2 Pulldown Flags to make it 29.976fps...
    I have No idea what your problems are because I don"t know what type of files you are working with and how these Files were created so I can"t give you any direct input on your Particular problem accept that you can allways use a better DVD authoring program Like DVD-Lab or even the new Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 is a Good new Program and Both of these program don"t have a problem with files that have Pulldown Flags and DVD-Lab will even add the 3:2 Pulldown Flags if they are needed.....good luck

8. taclark

taclark Guest

Minion,

Thanks for your explanation of 3:2 pulldown flags.

The files I've been working with are from Hollywood DVDs. The VOBs edited in MPEG Video Wizard have been generated using DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink. So I guess the question is what would the frame rate be of these VOBs after decrypting? Does it vary?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If they are NTSC DVD"s then 95% of the Time they will be 23.976fps with 3:2 Pulldown to make them 29.976fps But some Programs will see the Vob files as Being 29.976fps and some Might read the Files as Being 23.976fps...I just checked with Mpeg2VCR and it sees 23.976fps Mpeg files with 3:2 pulldown as 29.976fps But I checked with the MainConcept encoder and it sees them as being 23.976fps so It depends on if the Program reads the 3:2 pulldown flags or Not..
    I just checked with Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2.0 and it reads them as 29.976fps..(I just noticed something I didn"t notice before and that is that DVD Movie factory 2.0 has a Dolby AC3 encoder and accepts AC3 Audio files)....If you keep Haveing this Problem I would suggest you use a different DVD authoring program as DVD movie Factory doesn"t have the Menu Features that DVD-Lab has so you can make much better Looking DVD"s with DVD-Lab and the DVD"s will be More Interactive...well anyways Good Luck