1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulitmate Bit Torrent Guide (Links and pics)

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by J-Kwon, Sep 5, 2005.

1. nnjsafc

nnjsafc Guest

i used to be able to get good speeds of 120+ kbs but i am lucky to be getting 1 or 2 kbs now. i have ran a virus scan, spyware scan and uninstalled all torrent applications i had on my pc so i could start afresh. i put bitlord back on and i just getting 1 or 2 kbs again. is there any thing else i need to adjust or fine tune. please help.

2. EagleFood

EagleFood Member

I just joined this forum to thank the author of this thread for the incredibly detailed information presented for us newbies. I just discovered Torrents and are really looking forward to learning everything I can about how to use these programs and processes. Right now I have nothing but problems, but if this thread is an example of the quality of assistance that is available, I feel a great deal more relaxed about embarking on my new adventure.

Thank you J-Kwon ... very much !

Theron

3. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

NP Theron,

Fire you questions at me when/if you need to

Good Luck....

Nice to see it get dug back up :)

O and bizzle congratz on becoming an addict... (dont know how long u hav been one :D)

4. chais82

chais82 Member

Ive notcied that earlier in the thread someone was not able to get there download past 15 kb/s or so. The pictures that were put on this post showed me that Azearus was set to only be 20 kb/s down and 55 kb/s up. You are not going to get speeds faster than 20 if its set at only 20 kb/s. Also windows has its own firewall. That needs to be shut off. then theres any internet security or even virus protectors that should be shut off or set up to allow Azearus to work. And finaly your router needs open ports and azearus has to be set to them ports. If you think u didnt set the router right just go to DMZ setting in router and turn it on then set it to the ip address of the pc useing azearus. DMZ is not good to leave on because it opens all ports. This is simply to see if you set up the ports right in your router or not. Another thing. if your upload is maxed out, you will get little to no download speed and the same way the other way around. What to do is limit ur upload speed to about 1/2 to 3/4 its max. This will prevent killing ur down speed. Do not limit ur upload speed too low. torrents cant work if you dont share! O and one more thing. Make sure no other programs are running that use the same ports as azureas. All programs should have there own ports or you will have issues. This is all I can think of right now but this should be of some use.

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Damm...kwon this guides excelent!!

Nice one mate :D

I'll send you a PM, i'd like permition to post it somewhere, all credit will be givin to you.

6. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Just link to it, I'm sure kwon won't mind :)

7. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Aye go ahead.....

Link me too it when its done

Bizzle can answer all my questions :)

Thanks

8. titan_01

titan_01 Member

Hi..i have follwed the guide in the portforward.com to open up my port for bitcomet..but however when i run the test in the shields up website it shows me that my port is stealth. Anyone knows what i can do to solve this problem?

thanx alot!

9. titan_01

titan_01 Member

Hi..sorry..i have managed to open up my port now..using port number above 50000.but now i have a new problem.

I tried running the test in the NATCheck but the test failed. I used the hash ID from a torrent inside mininova.org.

Test result: Unable to connect. This likely means you need to adjust your port forwarding configuration, or there is no client running on that port

currently using:
    -bitcomet ver 0.57
    -wireless internet connection using linksys router WRT54G

Thanx!

10. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I would reccomend switching to uTorrent

All I can think of is that you have forwarded a different port to the one you are using.

Anyway uTorrent has a 'troubleshooter' so use that instead :D

11. shue

shue Member

hi guys...i m newbie here.so that i need y'all to guide regarding bittorrent.yeah... perhaps i am not newbie to bittorrent cuz i m using bitlord for quite a long time.it produces better speed max 50kB/s than other BT client.but foremost,u need to open port like what this thread is about and never forget to get the most powerful antivirus software.
    i got some questions regarding portforwarding...
    previously my listenng port is 49152.max dl:50kB/s. but now that port is no longer useful that i can only get 0kB/s by using that port.so i've changed to 65535 like what J-Kwon told us and it works.
    i have questions...regarding the step on setting windows firewall that stuff.LAN > properties > advanced tab... what port no. should we enter into that internal/external ip address?did more than one portforwarding in the router may affects a single computer speed(i mean the bandwitdh)?for bitlord users...did u guys unchecked that enable Upnp port mapping like wat portforward told us to uncheck.cuz dl speed is still consider high even i didn't do so.
    i've read a thread somewhere else stating that a good bittorrent should have combination of Local n Remote when it comes to peer tab.but now i just got Local n NAT Traversal when the port've changed to 65535.is this really a matter?
    eniwei...thanx in advance...

12. Silo45

Silo45 Member

Ok so heres the deal.
    I couldnt get the guide to work for me, I always get stuck on the part where I have too enter my Ip Adress In the Adress Bar. I get a Reply saying "Page Not Found". So heres what I did.
    I turned off the fire-wall, on the computer behind the router. Then on the MAIN computer, I opened up the ports I use for bitlord on the main computers firewall. One TCP, and One UDP with the same port number.
    At the sheilds up web site I get a "Stealth" rating witch I gather is superior. RIGHT?
    But then I do a NATCHECK and I fail, I dont know why.
    Do I do the nat check while Bitlord is running?
    Any thoughts?
    I can connect to bitlord, but my download rate has an avg. of 5Kb/sec.
    I use Bitlord 1.1
    port 65535
    Test file from deamonoid

PS Im sort of a noob so if an of the steps I took were wrong let me know.

-Silo

13. Silo45

Silo45 Member

Just wanted to offer a little moe info.
    So i dug a little deeper and i found a file with alot of seeders. The file has a health of 2500% but still the Download only max's out at about 15Kb/sec that dosent sound right.
    I really dont know what to do this driving me crazy.

Silo

14. 5421325

5421325 Guest

it dosent work! im stucked at the Port Forwarding part!! =(

when they tell you to go Properties at the Internet/Proctol(TCP/IP)
    that part, i cannot go in. they say "In order to configure TCP/IP, you must and enable a network adapter card"

how? help me =(

15. popol24

popol24 Member

@Silo 45

i'm having the same problem, i couldn't get past that as well. have you found a solution yet? thanks!

16. Silo45

Silo45 Member

Yea the problem was that I wanst accutally behind a router, I was behind a Port switch,(kind of like a divider), So I couldnt access the modem because it was blocking me, so what I did was threw that thing in the garbage, and bought a router, worked like charm, good luck.

Silo

17. bluesquid

bluesquid Member

I am trying to forward my port to bitlord. I have set my SUA/NAT in my Netgear RT-314 to port 65535 and my IP address as shown from grc.com Shields Up.

bitlord preferences set to random port 65535 and turned UPnP off.

grc still shows port 65535 closed and NAT check shows closed. I used a hash from a currently running bitlord download.

I cannot set up a static IP address because my ISP changes my assigned address weekly.

Would you please assist?

18. bluesquid

bluesquid Member

Here is more info.

BitLord 1.1 is running on:
    CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 3006 MHz
    RAM size : 1,023.48 MB
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Default tracker optimization rules file loaded.
    IP rules file: ipfilter.dat loaded, 0 entries.
    Start Listening at TCP Port:65535
    Start Listening at UDP Port:65535
    Windows XP ICF Status: Firewall port is opened.
    Update Local IP: 192.168.0.2
    Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.
    UDP tracker report: WAN IP = 24.3.88.248
    Connected to UDP helper tracker on 2006-08-27 21:47

19. d1champ

d1champ Member

wen i type in 192.168.1.1 it goes to my modem site thing not my router wich is linksys wat do i do.

20. thisisu

thisisu Member

hey J-Kwon,
    i registered on this site just to thank you for your in-depth guide on how to improve download speeds. I have two torrents going right now and I'm downloading at 100kb/s (overall). Before reading, I was crawling at 5kb/s. Thanks again and keep up the good work!!