1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate BitComet Guide to the Universe

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Sep 18, 2005.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

2. uksaiyan

uksaiyan Member

Hey DVDBack, you seem to know what your talking about. Any chance you could shed some light on my problem a few posts up. 80kB/s seems to be my limit on these files, but I'm able to get so much more on other files.

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

But they are all from the same (minimal amount of) peers, right. You could download it in a million pieces or just one, but at the end of the day, if you are downloading from the same seed, then your speed is highly unlikely to increase..

4. mrsheen03

mrsheen03 Regular member

hi how do i add PT to bitcomet thanks for any help

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  5. MikeJ999

MikeJ999 Guest

THanks to DVDBack23 for the great tutorials - they worked for me !

In case it helps anyone, here are the settings Im using for BIt Comet right now, that work great on a Comcast 6 Mbps normal line, in California (Bay Area.)
    (BTW I cant find any way to reset these params to default states in Comet !)

Since I played with all the parameters in Bit Comet, I started getting bad download speeds, for one main reason-

I set the global max upload rate way above my UPLOAD rate on the cable, to 100 KBps,
    since I was thinking the upload was the same as the download rate.

This made for fast uploading, but downloading stuck at ~ 1 to 20 kBps. instead of ~ 200 KBps or higher. (bytes/sec)

So I took the Comcast upload rate = 384 Kbps, divided by 8, and got 48 KBps max upload rate.
    I set BItComet to <80% of this bandwidth, using your great help here, 34 KBps,
    then lowered it to 28 KBps max upload total rate, and this works GREAT!

> So these settings work great on Bit COmet:

OPTIONS/PREFERENCES:

CONNECTION:
    GLobal max download rate: No limit
    Global max upload rate: 28 KBp
    Max simul download tasks: 3
    (Could be 1: I try to only do 1 torrent at a time unless it has << 50 peers).

Listen port: randomly chose one by pushing button.
    And then I put that port num in the port forwarding page in the router. And put it in the Windows

firewall exception list. ANd also set router fwding ports to 6881 to 6999.

TASK:
    UPLOAD:
    Max upload rate per task: no limit
    min upload rate per taks: no limit.

ADVANCED:
    Add DHT network as backup tracker: Yes (I think the .61 ver fixes this so this can be enabled? Not sure.)
    CONNECTION:
    Enable DHT network: yes.
    Enabled uPNP port mapping: No (I set static IP in my XP machine + configed router.)
    Max connections per task: 225
    GLobal max upload slots: auto -- these auto settings give me: 5-10 upload slots usually.
    Global min upload slots: auto
    Max half open TCP connections: 10
    Protocol header encrypt: auto detect.

These settings work great on COmcast so far !
    My FIrefox browser isn't slowed down now by BT, and torrents start gathering peers right away when started.

*** Thanks to all the posters on this board for the great info + help !!!!! ***
    Mike

6. crazydope

crazydope Member

Using torrents are you supposed to upload as much as you download? If so do I have to change any settings? Cause I used the AD bitcomet tutorial and have the same preferences and dont think my ratio is 1:1...some files its 0:9, 0:8, 0:3

7. pinkdayz

pinkdayz Member

Hi DVDBack23!

I just want to thank you for your EXCELLENT guide on setting up the BitComet & Port forwarding. I have been reading all kinds of websites for several weeks and none of them were complete (always leaving out something that was crucial, like setting up a static IP) For the first time, I am finally seeing 120 kbps downloads on a low seed torrent. I can't imagine what it will be like when I get a better torrent file. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great detailed tutorial! It is the BEST!

8. DVDBack23

Youre welcome!
    And im glad youre getting the speeds you deserve to get:)

9. Jurgennop

Jurgennop Regular member

dvdback,is it possible to post screenshots of your specific settings for bitcomet? This could help a lot of people out maybe.

10. jstmk8it

jstmk8it Member

hey all, im new to bitcomet but was downloading and sitting at a steady 70kb when it just dropped to 0kb and ever since its just been my upload going, what happened? it was at 86% damit

11. MikeJ999

MikeJ999 Guest

Jstmk8it--
    The reason it dropped, is probably-- you have your "global max upload rate" in the top menu Options/preference/connections/ set to "unlimited".
    Set it per the faqs here on this board:
    that is, if you have 384 Kbits/sec upload rate on your cable service,
    set it to 384/8 = your upload KBYTES/sec rate max.
    This gives BYTES/sec Since there are 8 bits in a byte.

then multiply this by 80% = 38.4 KBYTES/sec MAX.
    I use about 30 Kbytes/sec.

If this is too high, your download cant send handshaking bytes, since the upload uses all the upload capabilities of your cable.
    So then the download cant work much at all and slows down to about 0.

Also see other recc settings on this board, like max connections per task to about 250 ...
    MJ

12. silver311

silver311 Member

Where do i find the tracker list on bitcomet for the list of tracker i found in IsoHunt?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  13. Hazard7

Hazard7 Member

Hi. I'm very confused with the Gobal Max Upload Rate.

This is my result.
    Download size: 200 KB
    Download time: 0.343 seconds
    Download speed: 4665 Kbps (kilobits per second)

So what I do next? Do I have to do 200KB/8 or 4665kbps/8 then multiply by 0.8?

14. DVDBack23

Hazard,
    You need to find your upload speed, not your download speed :)

15. Hazard7

Hazard7 Member

16. buffyx3

buffyx3 Member

i tried to configure my d-link router at http://www.portforward.com/ but ran into some problems when i tried to setup a static ip address.. i tried to follow the instructions here --- http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm but i got some error..for some reason when i typed in "cmd" in "run" i found out my default gateway address was the same as my dns server adress..people with d-link routers, i hav a question for u all..can u setup a static ip adreess here http://192.168.0.1/h_wan.html ?????

17. wykoh

wykoh Member

Hey DVDBack23,

I am really grateful for your help on replying my thread, http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/335806 & your PM on DVD Decrypter. But now, I need to ask you a few questions.

1. Is the static IP address my IP address? If not, how do I find it?
    2. After following the steps from http://www.portforward.com/ , pls take a look here. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG1000/BitComet.htm I don't know what to fill in the last number for the static IP address of 192.168.100.?

Thanks for reading

18. bernie14

bernie14 Member

i followed the tutorial once before and was getting outstanding speeds in the 200-300 kbps range over my cable modem. All of a sudden i was getting around 20-50 kbps so i followed the tutorial again but with little success. The speakeasy test gave me a download rate of 5591 while my upload was only 132. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

19. DVDBack23

bernie,
    Your ISP is capping your upload, therefore, you have to greatly lower your max upload speed, which kills download speed. im sorry there is nothing i can do about it, but you should call yuor ISP and bitch to them ;)

20. pazzini

pazzini Guest

I would just like to say thankyou for your guide, on a 2mb connection before I was averaging 20-50kb/s. I used your guide a few months back and it has jumped up to 130-150kb/s(average).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006