1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ultimate dreambox 500c newb question

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by pacino169, Mar 2, 2010.

1. piopat

piopat Active member

ok if your on cable disconnect the cable from the back of the box and connect it to the back of your tv ,choose an unused channel on your tv and do a manual scan for channels (this is to check you are getting a signal) if your in the uk you will find quite a few channels. if you have channels then the problem is either the box or the image (you can change the image ).

2. pacino169

pacino169 Member

i took the cable(the white wire you loosen with pliers?) out but it doesnt fit into the antenna hole at the back of the tv

3. piopat

piopat Active member

the white wire ? ,sorry mate can you show me a picture of the rear of the box and this white wire (with the connection on it)the connection should either plug out or unscrew .

4. pacino169

pacino169 Member

[​IMG]the white wire on the right unscrews but thers no connection to fit it on the back of the tv

5. piopat

piopat Active member

who ever fitted that used the wrong cable , you can get an adaptor for that connection to make it in to an old fashioned jackplug, the adaptor just screws in to the connection . the connection that says out next to where the white cable goes in might work if its a loop through (that just means that the connection might send out the cable signal) . do you have an older co ax cable (like you would use to connect a video recorder to a tv)male to male (meaning both ends plug in to the tv and box as opposed to fitting over a connection, female) try to connect the box to the tv that way and try a manual scan on an unused channel . if you have a friend or family near by with cable you could test it in there house ,if it scans there and finds channels your external cable connection is not working. on the earlier picture snr is 67% which is low (thats signal)and lock and sync should be ticked if the box found any quality signal ,if it cant lock its getting little or now signal (and that cable wont help) ive never seen any company use white cable only black satellite type cable. only time i seen white cable the fella put it in his self against my advice ,he had poor signal and the on top of that the cable seems weaker and it broke on the inside after he bent the cable tacking it to his wall. i changed it to black standard cable and he had no trouble.

6. pacino169

pacino169 Member

that white cable was what i had my virgin Vbox connected with.i thought the white cable was standard for virgin.i dont know anyone with co ax cable or vcr more to the point.do you know the name of the black cable i should be using and ill try to get 1 of those.thanks

7. piopat

piopat Active member

if virgin fitted it its ok then,can you hook the box up in another house and try a scan as i dont think your getting a signl.

8. pacino169

pacino169 Member

i can go to my parents house tomorrow and try.would hooking up my virgin Vbox help to determine if im getting a signal?

9. piopat

piopat Active member

yea hook up the virgin box ,if all is well with your connection it should work straight away ,if not you have no signal coming in (if it works and you have a signal then there is a problem with your dm500.

10. pacino169

pacino169 Member

just hooked up my Vbox and it worked fine.would flashing a new image help do you think?

11. piopat

piopat Active member

so you have a signal thats good ,so what ever is wrong its to do with the dreambox . i noticed something in those two pictures of the menu , in the transponder search (single transponder the provider id is 6887 ,but in the aoto scan you have only two choices sr6900 and sr6875 ,are you sure there are not more choices than those two . i think 6887 is the correct provider id number ,if you got the frequency list for virgin in your area and entered a frequency in to the menu (to scan a single frequency) i think it would work not ideal but it might work .otherwise i would say reflash the box .

12. pacino169

pacino169 Member

ok thanks any idea how i would find out the frequency code for my area?thats definetely the only 2 options i get.

13. piopat

piopat Active member

i have had a look around online for virgin frequencies but only found glasgow etc , im from ireland so any frequencies i would have would be of no use . some one here should be able to give you a list of frequencies for your area ,if one works they will all work .or you could try reflashing your box . for this you need a computer (which you have) but your computer needs to run on windows xp and not vista (vista has compatability issues) you will need a null modem cable 9 pin male to 9 pin male to connect your box to your pc . and you will need to download dreamup and an image you can get both from the link in my signature. also if your computer is new it wont have the connection that you need to connect the null modem cable ,so you have 2 choices there either use an old desktop computer or you will need to buy a usb to serial adaptor . this is a cable that has a usb connection on one end and a null modem connection on the other , you join the null modem cable to it ,plug the usb end in the pc and the null end in the box. it should come with a disk (containing whats called a driver)this basicly helps your computer see the box ,the cable wont work without it .if you get no disk dont worry you can download the driver online .

14. pacino169

pacino169 Member

i have a null cable and it can be connected to my pc which runs on XP.
    dk_v1.1.rar is this the image ?

15. piopat

piopat Active member

ok that image would do and you have the cable etc so thats great ,that image is a rar file so you need to open it first (you will need to download winrar or peazip to open it ,they are free ) and then you can start .one last thing i dont know if that image is up to date for updating codes automaticly so you you may have to put codes in by hand (dont worry its not hard at all ,but you may not need to )get winrar or something like it and open the rar file and get back to me.

16. pacino169

pacino169 Member

one other thing u says i need a driver for the null cable.what would that driver be called?

17. piopat

piopat Active member

sorry mate you only need the driver if you have a pc that has no null modem connection yours has so your ok ,if you have dreamup downloaded and the image open we can start .

18. crownsatg

crownsatg Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  19. rickrust

rickrust Member

HI guys need some help I have dbox 500t have no hassel with the one I got on for a mate, but his kid got a hold of it so lost the image on it, re flashe image for him every thing working fine, howerever when he power's off the box late at night when he plugs the box in next morning the image is gone again ????? so I reflash works fine!!! So I know the answer dont power off the box but am i doing something wrong or do I need to change a setting Mick