1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra ATA HDD as Master with ATA HDD Slave

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mad89, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mad89

mad89 Member

have recently upgraded my hdd from an 80gb seagate ata drive to a 160gb seagate ultra ata drive...

i was hoping to have the 160gb hdd master with the 80gb as slave, but am having troubles with it because for some reason the ultra ata wont recognise the ata drive.

the 160gb hdd is on the primary ide channel as master and i want to put the 80gb as a primary slave...

do i need to change jumper settings on either of the drives? (if so, what do i change them to?)
    do i need to change some thing in the bios? (if so, what?)

has anyone had the same problem or does anyone know how to solve it?

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

put the 160GB one on the primary ata channel and and set the jumper to master and put the 80GB on on the secondary and set the jumper to slave or cabe select. thats what i suspect u have done. if it dosen't work try to set the 80Gb one on another ata port if there is any free.

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

You will have to set the jumper on the 160G as 'Master' and the 80G jumper as 'Slave' to start off with.

Depending on the age of the comptuer, if it will even support the 160G hdd.....

Also depending, you may have to go into the BIOS and into the settings and set Primary Master and Primary Slave to 'Auto'

Also, make sure that you put the 160G on the End of the IDE cable and the 80G on the middle.

CJC

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  4. mad89

mad89 Member

computer is about 18 months old... and i have the 160gb in there at the moment. i just want to add in my 80gb...

have tried setting the 160gb to "master" and 80gb "slave" but it still doesnt work...

looked on seagate website and it says that you can set the 160gb to "master, with non-ata drive slave"... i think i mite need to try that. but i cant understand why it doesnt work in the first place, with simple master and slave settings...

the only querie that i have about setting it to, "master, with non-ata drive slave" is that the 80gb is an ata drive, so its wierd that it wont work...

i think it mite hav sumthing to do with the fact that the 160gb is an ultra ata drive whereas the 80gb is just an ata drive... im not sure on this though

anyways. thanks alot Wayne_T and CJC for your suggestions but it simply doesnt work... any other ideas for me to try would be appreciated...

thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  5. CJC

CJC Regular member

Try adding the 80G as 'Master' on the Secondary IDE Channel, making sure that you change the Optical Drive to 'Slave' and if you have more then two, just disconnect the 2nd for the moment. If it works, add one as "slave' on the Primary..

Try that...

CJC

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey mad89! When you configure 160gb as straight primary master and 80gb as pri slave do both drives appear when booting in the IDE Detect screen? Do both drives appear in the CMOS\BIOS? Do you see both in My Computer? Does the 80gb get detected when its configured as primary slave with no master? If you still haven't had success, please give more info..............Thanks