1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra DVD+RW drive...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Gryphus, Aug 23, 2003.

1. markusk

markusk Regular member

A sole +R(W) burner is definitely not a waste of time. It's the preferred thing if you burn data and edit your videos. Somehow people are forgetting that the +R(W) format is technically superior to -R(W) and that's a very visible thing. I wonder why future drives are giving 8x +R speeds where -R speed is 4x.... Don't believe ne ? Check http://www.plextor.be/English/products/PX708A.html

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ok - another person has his/her head up their arse. there is no real evidence to prove that +R produces better quality. however, there is a lot of evidence that states that +R is no where near as compatible as -R when it comes to DVD Video

Also, i think you will also find that Pioneer DVR107 has been on the boards for a lot longer than the plextor or any other writer and they will not release this 8x -R writer until christmas.

Maybe some real research should be done by people before they make a fool of themselves lol. Herbsman, what you say about all this?? :D

3. 4xburner

4xburner Member

I bought the Ultra DVD drive from TigerDirect for the $99 deal, and installed DXC 1.4.1 last night. I backed up City By The Sea on Memorex 4X DVD+R media to try it out. First try was a coaster, then I checked Advanced options>Use Nero Express>Alternate player compatibility. Made a flawless backup at 4x speed (backup required 2 dvds). I was going to update DXC to the newest version, but now I'm not sure, as everything is working perfectly.

4. Woody2k

Woody2k Member

The Plextor PX-708A is already available here in Tokyo for abt US$ 330. DVD+R 8x media will be in stores by month-end with samples from Ricoh already available. NEC has announced an 8x DVD-R/+R drive for late October release here.

A multi-burner will do for me TYVM. The Ricoh DVD+RW can work for a "quick & dirty" DVD burn for most consumer DVD Sony and JVC models I have tried.

Personally, I burn DVD-R for video to maintain compatibility and use DVD+RW for data (I am an EMC Storage Systems RSS by profession, where they started with COLD in the early 1990s). I use DVD Decrypter and Nero 5.5.10.5 with no problems.

I have a Sony DRU-510A v1.0C with Drive Speed Selector 1.0 with very good results on TDK "armoured" DVD-R 2x "masters" & "everyday" Ritek DVD-R 4x for video and Ricoh DVD+RW 4x as data backups. I got my DRU-510 for abt US$220 locally.

I will get the Plextor PX-116 (Pioneer DVD-ROM rebadge?) probably over the weekend from Akihabara. We've had issues with Pioneer firmware on this side of the pond and most media sold carry large warnings to this effect (mainly for older models before the A05).

========
    Athlon XP 2600+/Gigabyte GA-7VRXP/384MB PC3200/60GB primary/40GB RAID0 data/DRU510/Liteon 165H/Plextor PX-4824TU/Soldam Pro-MT1300 Omega/HEC-350W PSU/ATI 9100 VIVO/Dual 15-inch LCD Hydravision

Cheers!

5. JIMIZ

JIMIZ Member

I am new to the DVD burning. I just bought one of the Ultra DVD drives. I burned some video that I shot with my Digital Cam with the DVD Creator that came with the drive. It worked the first time and looked nice on my DVD in the den. However, I am trying to burn a DVD with other files, such as a DVD backup, and Stomp RecordNow and Nero will not recognize my unit as a DVD recorder. I dloaded and installed all of the updates for my progs. I can not find firmware or updates anywhere on the net for the Ultra drive. Any suggestions?