1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra-Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jmetz58, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jmetz58

jmetz58 Member

I want to be able to burn DVD's from my many irreplaceable VHS home videos. Ultimately want to purchase a digital camcorder and.... you know the drill. I'm not sure whether to go PC based DVD burner like Pioneer A05, or a component DVD burner like the Panasonic with the 40 GB HDD. Any thoughts on this equipment? My PC is an Athlon 900MHz w/256MB ram and a 30 GB ATA/100 HDD. Is this machine adequate for burning DVD's? I guess I'd need a firewire card for a future DV camcorder, but right now I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro video card which gives me S-video and composite video inputs. Is this adequate for the low quality composite signal from the VHS VCR to be able to archive the tapes? I think I can save a few bucks and get some more flexibility by going with the PC based system. I also want to be able to do some video editing on the video files from the VHS tapes, so any suggestions on software for this purpose?

Thanks

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

jmetz58,

Your PC spec looks to be at the bottom end of the spectrum. It will work, but be a bit on the slow side. You don't mention what operating system you run.

Please don't say Windows ME !!!

Windows 2K and XP seem to be very stable these days (I run XP)

If you want to edit video some day, I would recommend the PC route, but I think you are going to have to spend a few bucks if you want to enjoy the experience.

HomerJ

3. formasual

formasual Guest

I'd go with the PC. You'd have lots more choices about how your finished product turns out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2002
  4. jmetz58

jmetz58 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running W98se.

5. HomerJ

jmetz58,

OK. Try the PC route, especially if you have access to the 128 pro video card.

I'm not sure about the level of quality, but that judgement belongs to the beholder (you).

Good luck.

HomerJ

6. jmetz58

jmetz58 Member

I may just U/G my PC and go with Win XP.
    Thanks

7. HomerJ

I must admit, I have found XP to be very stable.