1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to Access Files/Folders on workgroup computers

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by razor8, Jan 25, 2007.

1. razor8

razor8 Member

Hi there,

I have two pc's hooked up to each other with an ethernet crossover cable. The problem is that although they can see each other I am unable to access any files or folders across the network. I get the error message " PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access Denied".
    I am using XP Home on both computers. Both pc's are in the same workgroup and have unique names. Just cant work out the sharing issue. Have checked both firewalls and both pc's have permissions to access the other. Just in case though I have tried with both firewalls switched off but still no joy.

Any help would be great as this has been going on for sometime now.

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

Just cause you can view the other PC does not mean you (the user you are logged in as) has permission to read+write files on the share. Try this. Set up a user called "Share" or something on both PCs. Use the same username and password on both. Give this new user permissions to access the shared folders on both PCs. Log on to one of the PCs with this new user and see if you can view the shared data.

It is most definately a permission issue here. The above should allow you to access the data you want.

~Rich