1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to burn ANY brand of CDRW

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Fuego, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Fuego

Fuego Member

I've installed aspi and got really excited when I saw a "green" bar in Nero Info Tool showing they were installed and working properly so I re-booted, burned a cdrw but alas no luck:( Exactly the same problem: "burn successful" but the disk still shows blank. Yet another brick wall! I have absolutely no idea what to do next.
    I tried to post a request for help to Microsoft but as soon as I added my Win XP ID I was told to consult the manufacturer (Toshiba, which is absolutely no help - charge $50 just to answer the phone) as my OS came bundled with my laptop. It also came bundled with dozens of Toshiba & Microsoft help/support links which lead to nowhere except a headache. I've received no help from them at all. Can't even access some of them! It seems these companies love to take your money, then you're on your own.
    (Sigh! Nothing like a good rant;)
    Thanks for all your help Nephilim - nice to know there are people willing to help:)
    If anyone has any suggestions please let me know - I'm desperate and it seems the options are drying up.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. Fuego

Fuego Member

Hi matey,

Good to know you're still with me on this:)
    I ran ASPICHK. This is what it shows:

WNASPI32.DLL 4.60 (1021) 09/10/99 45056
    WINASPI.DLL 4.60 (1021) 09/10/99 5600
    ASPI32.SYS 4.60 (1021) 09/10/99 25244
    WOWPOST.EXE 4.60 (1021) 09/10/99 4672

"ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 2 host adapters have been detected."

My laptop must be roughly 2 years old now. I bought it
    in NY in April 2002 from CompUSA. It's the first computer I've ever owned so it's been a major learning curve:0 (I say bring back paper, pen & ink;)

4. Nephilim

Hi,

You're ASPI is perfectly fine.

I remember those days. I still wish for pen and paper sometimes :)

I'm more than happy to see this through until you're burning RW's but since we've ensured all the other variables are in good order I'm inclined to say the drive was A) defective when you bought it or B) it definitely needs a firmware updrade except there are none.

At this point considering your definite need to use RWs my best suggestion would be to look at getting a replacement drive. It would be a good indea to get the drive from a store that has a good return policy in the event that a new drive doesn't fix the problem.

Let me know how thing go :)

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The original firmware for your drive can be found here:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/642

What puzzles me, is that you list it as [bold]Firmware version: 1317 [/bold]

and it appears to be labelled [bold]Firmware version: 1W17[/bold] on that web site.

Edited to add: There is a patch firmware that removes the Regions at the same website :- http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/643

labelled :[bold]Firmware version: xW17[/bold]

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  6. Fuego

Fuego Member

Hi Neph:)
    I'm not spending another penny on this machine! I tried a friend's external CD-ROM Drive last wk and my laptop threatened to explode - fatal warning messages were flashing like an ER car park on a Saturday night:0 Are you sure there's no firmware update? I noticed on the firmware page it showed: "1317 patch". Would that be a patch for the version I have or would I then need version 1318 (which I don't think exists yet)? Anyway, I get Automatic Updates from Windows XP so I would have it, wouldn't I?
    Purchasing anything for this PC is a last resort as I plan to buy a tower at some stage. Once I know I've tried EVERYTHING to solve this CDRW issue I will concede defeat and just continue struggling with CDRs (and move to a bigger house to accommodate them)!
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
    How about uninstalling all burning software and installing and testing one by one? ...Am I grasping at straws here:(

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

A Few thoughts for you Fuego !!

1)If you have Roxio installed at the same time as Nero -- you can expect some clashes between those two piece of burning software.

2)CD-RW writing , the way you want it , definately needs to have InCd (nero) or DirectCd (Roxio)installed on your PC in order to format , then write and read your CD-RW .

My suggestions is for you to get rid of one of the two burning software you have on your PC -- I do prefer Nero to Roxio!

Then make sure you have InCd installed -- go to you Control panel after putting a Cd-Rw blank in your drive, right click the Drive and select InCd Format (Full)--

Once this is done you should be able to copy/paste anything you have on your PC to that Cd-Rw. Erase at will photos you've put there , add some when you wish to do so till that CD-Rw is filled.

8. Fuego

Fuego Member

Great! Thanks for that suggestion Jeanc1. I will do that first thing in the morning (it's almost 2am here) and let you know the outcome. Fingers crossed:)

9. Nephilim

Thanks for the breather Jeanc1. Sometimes when I focus too hard on a problem I get "tunnel vision" and forget to take a step back for another look at things :)

It always helps to have a new perspective. Hopefully with your help Fuego be up and running.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  10. Fuego

Fuego Member

Hi,

I installed the firmware you suggested Jeanc1 but nothing happened ie when I checked in Nero Info Tool it stated my firmware was still 1317! I tried 1W17 and XW17 afterwards: neither made any difference. So I can only deduce that I already had the latest version (and 1w17 and xw17 are the same as 1317?) or I didn't install them properly. I followed exactly the Readme instructions and made a bootable floppy etc but my computer didn't respond the way the instructions said it would eg it didn't give me an opportunity to type: "update.bat" and I didn't have to "wait for flashing to finish" because my PC wasn't flashing at all!
    Sadly, that was another dead-end.
    I will now try re-installing Nero software etc and see if that works. Incidentally, though Easy CD Creator came with my PC, it wasn't pre-installed, it was on a separate disk. I'd heard EZ was inferior burning software so I'd installed Nero instead. It was only a few wks ago I installed EZ because I thought it might help my prob. I only ever used MusicMatch Jukebox and Nero to burn CDRs prior to that. Do you know of any conflicts between Nero and MMJB?

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

~~Never heard of MMJB causing any conflicts with Nero -- !

The very first screen you get when you install software usually asks that you close all running software !! -before you install- Unfortunately that warning is quite often brushed up and that is mainly how conflict in software are created.

I think you re-installing Nero and InCd properly may give you the Cd-RW burning you want.

12. Fuego

Fuego Member

In that case it can't be a conflict issue as I always do as I'm told when installing a new app! Good to know just how important that is:)
    I'm currently uninstalling ALL my cd burners anyway as there's not much else I can do to sort this prob out.
    Strangely, I noticed Nero Incd in my "add/remove programs" but can't for the life of me find its location. I thought that could be the problem as the version I have seems to have everything but Incd. However, I must have it for it to be in the "add etc" program. Any thoughts?

13. Nephilim

Hi,

You might use the Nero Clean Tools to ensure a complete uninstall of Nero and all it's components :)

http://www.nero.com/en/631938356101755.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  14. Fuego

Fuego Member

Thanks Neph:)

15. Vanoss

Vanoss Member

Hi I have a similar problem too, here's mine, hope this doesn't adds to the headache....

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 2450 with a DVD-R/-RW

I've just upgraded my laptop from XP home edition to XP Pro and now I am having problems backup up my DVDs. Before I could Back up my DVDs with ease with the XP Home edition but now with XP Pro it doesn't seem to work. It goes through all the writting processes and everything and said that the backup was sucessful but I can't seem to be able to view the backed up DVDs. As a matter of fact I can't write normal data onto a DVD. I can burn data onto mornal CDs but.

I am using Nero and DVD shrink to do all by backup.

I've tried searching for drivers for it but it hasn't been a sucess. The driver current installed is the default one of XP Pro but it only says that it's a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2102 not a DVD-R/-RW. I am able to view normal DVDs with no problem, it's only this backing up problem.

I haven't try the installing ASPI or do a Bio upgrade yet but the Bios can be found at the Toshiba site:
    http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/cgi-b...nu_1=Satellite&ProductMenu_2=295638&x=10&y=12

Sorry to butt in but I didn't want to create a new Post. Hope you guys can help

16. Nephilim

Hi,

Better off to start a new thread. That way so we can concentrate on helping Fuego here and you in another thread. Keeps things simpler :)

17. Fuego

Fuego Member

Hi,
    Apologies for going quiet (though it's probably a blessed relief;) but I had to switch my mind off this prob for a while - it was/is driving me mad!
    I got so far as uninstalling several apps, looking for Nero's InCd which I can't seem to find, downloading a later Nero version but still unable to find InCd on that (have they renamed it?) and then I think I got drunk:0
    I've been irritating all around me with my moans so decided it best to give it a rest.
    I will shortly resume my search for Nero version INCL InCd and do what Jeanc1 suggested. Until then I have nothing more to add but would welcome any further suggestions in the meantime:)
    Thanks again for sticking with me on this you good good people (shame there's not more like you in the 'real' world:) Hasta luego de Fuego!

18. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

::Grinz ! InCd is a separate download from Nero !
    It comes totally separate !! and is part of Nero Bundle as Package #3

you can get it here :- http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  19. Fuego

Fuego Member

Spent last few days trying all suggestions you good folk made. Showed my lap-top to someone who knows a fair bit who, after trying to burn a couple of cdrws on it, said the drive was caput (InCd got half-way through formatting and came up with the same error msg again and again).
    Toshiba obviously doesn't test its drives and equipment before it sells them - so beware.
    Thought I should finish the thread.
    Thank you Neph and Jeanc1 for all your help. I'm just sorry all your efforts led to nothing.
    All the best,
    Fuego

20. Nephilim

De nada mi amigo, de nada :)