1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to burn dvd-ram lf-d311 using latest version of nero

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by slim1253, Jul 6, 2004.

1. slim1253

slim1253 Member

I am running windows xp pro using matshita/panasonic dvd-ram lf-d311 burner. I have burned hundreds of dvd-r disks successfully with all versions of nero up to and including nero 6.3.0.3. All versions of nero after that will not burn due to not enough space on dvd to burn. The info screen prior to burn indicates 4384 mb available with all versions up to and including 6.3.0.3 but all versions after indicate available capacity as 0. Is anyone with my burner and operating system able to burn properly after nero 6.3.0.3?

2. kcrab

kcrab Member

I have the same burner and am having the same problem,it only works with 6.3.0.3. Any updates give me the "not enough space" error.Three days later I'm still waiting to hear from Nero.

3. slim1253

slim1253 Member

I have communicated with Nero support several times and they just said that my burner was defective. What I have determined is that nero 6.3.1.17 will burn a dvd ram disc both types but not a dvd - r disk. I just think that nero 6.3.1.17 does not recognize that a dvd ram drive will burn a dvd - r. If you get a different answer from nero support, let me know.

4. kcrab

kcrab Member

Nero tells me to "check your recorder manufacturer homepage for a list of supported DVD/RW media and use only those discs. Do you get the problem also with supported discs?" What I'm trying to make them understand is a)all different kind of media works with this drive if I use 6.3.0.3 b)forget any RW media, thats not what I'm asking about c)the problem is when I UPDATE and I use -R disks. I am able to burn to RAM disks with 6.3.1.17 I've asked them to try to help me solve this problem instead of throwing these dopey replys my way.I also asked them what the info tool and the log reports tell them.So we shall see what happens but I dont hold out alot of hope from their end.I guess it's going to be to use 6.3.0.3 or.....Roxio.

5. slim1253

slim1253 Member

Nero support gave me the same stupid reply's. Check for new firmware upgrades and use supported media. I think that they think a dvd ram drive will only support ram disk's instead of dvd-r disks. I have tried 4 different dvd-r media and got exactly the same results. The disk info tool prior to burning thinks the disk has 0 capacity. I also notice that meritline does not list our burner as one that is tested whereas it use to be one. Let me know if you get anything useful from Nero. Les

6. slim1253

slim1253 Member

I received email from Nero tech support yesterday stating that they had recreated our problem and it would be fixed in the release due out in August. Hopefully they will have fixed our problem.

7. kcrab

kcrab Member

Got this from Nero-"Thank you for your email and for your interest in our products.

I think that there was an error during installation. To avoid this, please use the General Clean Tool to uninstall all Nero components. Then install verison 6.3.1.17 again: Important note: You can only start the GeneralCleanTool if you have Administration Rights on your PC! (If you are not an Administrator an error message occurs)

First make sure you have your Nero 5 or Nero 6 serial key to install Nero/Nero Express with. It should look like 15xx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx or 1Axx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.

The Serial key should be located on the inside of the Nero Jewel case, or on the back of the paper sleeve the Nero CD came in.
    You can find your serial number by the following way:
    Please open the registry by clicking on
    'start' in Windows
    then click 'run'
    and please fill in "regedit" and confirm with "OK"
    To open the registry key go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ahead\Nero-Burning ROM\info In this registry path is the following entry: 'serial'. When you double click on it, you can see you serial number.

Also all the Plug-ins will be removed with this tool. So please make sure you have saved any plug-ins you purchased separately, so you can re-install them afterwards.

Then download the GeneralClean Tool to your Desktop from: ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/General-CleanTool.zip

Unzip the file with WinZip or WinRar and then double click on the EXE file to run it.
    Select 'Clean All' option and then click on the 'Clean' button to uninstall all Nero products. Then reboot your system. It will clean the registry and remove all Nero entries.

After that, download and install the latest Nero/NeroExpress version from our website at www.nero.com using your Nero serial key to unlock from Demo mode.

For Nero 5.5 use this link: http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html
    For Nero 6 use this link:
    http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php

InCD 3 or InCD 4 can be removed completely under Win 9x after a reboot.

The GeneralCleanTool recognizes if a program is still running and will request a shut down so it can remove files associated with a program after a reboot.

Should you wish more information, please do not hesitate to contact us again."

best regards

Claudius Hoerth
    Nero Support

8. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

A bug report has been generated on this issue, and it is being addressed.

Unfortuneately, not all our Tech's access the Bug Tracking system we have implemented to confirm if this issue has been duplicated by our QA team, and a bug report created. Partly because they are new and are still learning the system.

And the automatic response, or forumula given kcrab would have resolved the issue if it had been a failed install or a firmware issue. This symptom does occur quite often in CD and DVD recorders so it's understandable to get this type of response the first time you report such as issue. But if you respond back that you have already done that, and tested other DVD-R media with the same results, they should at that point escalate the issue to our QA team to see if they can confirm the bug via their testing. And once confirmed, a bug report would be generated.

Regards,

Craig

9. kcrab

kcrab Member

Followed the instructions from above and got the same "not enought disk space" error.Also asked about two different answers(Aug. patch) to our common problem.Will post nero reply.

10. SHONUFF

SHONUFF Member

I have the same problem but you say the dvd-ram disks work. The thing is does the dvd-ram disks work in conventional dvd players. Yeah I am a newbie.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  11. slim1253

slim1253 Member

The ram disks that are not in the case do work in my panasonic dvd players...

12. SHONUFF

SHONUFF Member

Just tried it with the dvd-ram disks and they do work on the computers dvd player but not in 3 conventional dvd players that are hooked up to the tv. Is there another alternative to nero without spending money?

13. slim1253

slim1253 Member

If you have an earlier version of Nero like version 6.3.0.3, you can use it to successfully burn a dvd-r disk that will play in regular dvd players. If you don't have that version, you can download a trial version of gear burning software from www.gearsoftware.com and use it until the August 1 release of Nero is available which is supposed to fix the current problem with the dvd ram lf-d311 burner.

14. kcrab

kcrab Member

Just a note on DVD-RAM. The players in our computers,Matshita(Panasonic)LF-D311 do take typeII disks(that is, the ones in the cartridge)and will play on some set top players(certain Panasonic,Toshiba,Samsung) if after you burn your disk you remove it from the cartridge.But because of the price of the RAM media and the compatibility issue these disk are better for data as they act the same as a giant floppy(you can incrementally add and delete data without having to finalize the disk)They also use them in DVD recorders because they have the ability to time slip.That is, you can set your machine to record something,come home half way through,and start watching from the begining while it finishes recording.I picked up a good set top player,Panasonic RP-82 for $100 bucks.It's a discontinued model but it plays everything I throw in it including SVCD and DVD-Audio.As for burning software I've tried them all,freeware,Roxio etc.and Nero Burning Rom is,in my opinion,by far the best and most versatile........when it works.

15. gbjbasdw

gbjbasdw Member

So it's now August - anyone seen any sign of the patch to fix our DVD-R problem from Nero yet ??

16. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Sorry for the delay. We are going through the final stages of the QA process on the new versions, and once this is complete we will post on our website. Should not be longer than 7 to 10 working days.

Regards,

Craig

17. gbjbasdw

gbjbasdw Member

Can you please post an entry on this thread when the new version is available.

Thanks

18. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Yes, I can and will do this. :)

Regards,

Craig

19. kcrab

kcrab Member

Craig,I've followed all the steps Nero has asked.Firmware,supported media,Info tool,log file,clean tool,uninstalling,reinstalling, you name it I've most likely tried it.After a month of exchanging emails and trying all these different things, the most recent email said to try updating my firmware.I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.Are we going back to step one? Are they even paying attention to my emails? They also said that they were unaware of any patch(Aug or any other) addressing this problem.Judging from your posts I guess you work at Ahead.Either way,whats my move? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I still think this product is the best,but the support I'm getting is leaving me frustrated beyond belief.Thanks K

20. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi KCRAB,

Are you dealing with the same Tech or a different one?
    Can you send me a copy of the last Email from our tech's to techsupport4@nero.com so I can trace it back to the tech and see what he was thinking?

We are hoping to have a new version of Nero 6 Burning ROM posted on our website by this Friday. It's going through our QA team right now.(Depending on QA teams results, it could be delayed a day or two)

NeroVision will come out a few days after, as we are adding some new features to Nero Recode 2 and we need to thoroughly test it before releasing.

Best Regards,

Craig