1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to burn to DVD Discs

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by ness0108, Nov 8, 2005.

1. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hi Afterdawners.
    I am new, but have been scouring your forums for quite a while and generally find answers to questions. This problem seems to have no answer anywhere in cyber space so am posting in the hope someone might have the magic answer and save me chewing up my internet usage and spending a fortune on discs!
    Here goes... I have captured my wedding video onto my computer, have added titles, edited etc. (Has taken me many, many months of learning etc.) Now I want to burn to disc to play in Playstation 2 (or DVD Player when we can afford one.) The program that came with my computer is Nero. I have worked out I needed to encode it to M-Peg 2 (using Nero)and the only successful burn is on a CD-RW disc, but it won't work in the Playstation 2!!! Every time I try to use a different disc eg: DVD-RW it spits it out and says..."Sorry your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disc. Please insert a disc with the correct type or modify your compilation to make it compatible with the current disc."
    My computer is NTFS, Free space 16.7GB, Windows XP SP2. The internal Burner is SONY DVD RW Q28A. It's all only a couple of months old.
    I would be eternally grateful to any one who can help me.
    I'm so close, yet so far away.
    Ness

2. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

ok when you atart nero burning rom it is going to give you a option that says

cd data

music cd

cd hybrid

cd boot

and all of these selections

well you need to change the drop down menu above all of these options that says cd and then change it to dvd

thats it

3. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hi Johnodd4
    Thank you for your response. When I open Nero I get 3 choices.
    CD
    DVD
    CD/DVD
    That's it. I think I had it on the DVD. I'll try again. In meantime, need to be taxi service and chef as the kids just got home from school. If this works I'll be extremely grateful.
    By the way, it doesn't say Nero Burning ROM on my program list. It does however have alot of other ones...eg: Startsmart, Vision Express, Recode ??? etc.
    I'll get back to you.
    Ness

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@ness0108

Well after you click on StartSmart, do you have Nero Burning Rom below the applications? Look at my picture for references.
    [​IMG]

If you see Burning Rom, then just click on it. Under "New Compilation" click on "DVD" and click on "DVD-Video" on below, then New and browse to your files in your hard drive that's ready to be burned.

Just out of curiosity, what version is your PS2 console system? I think some can not read CD-RW, even DVD-RW and DVD+RW, unless you can book type the DVD+RW into DVD-ROM; then it's fine, but that's another story.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hmmm, sounds like you're using version 5 of Nero as your burner doesn't sound to be supported ie Nero can't 'see' your burner. (DVD burning appeared late in Nero 5.x). maybe you're using an earlier version of 6.x , but same reason applies here... let us know what version you have...

6. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Oh my God! Nero Startsmart has disappeared! I downloaded some updates thinking that might fix the problem and Startsmart has gone. Now I need to solve another problem before I can follow your replies!!!!

7. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hi Alkohol & Creaky
    Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.
    Ok, I think I have Startsmart again,the desktop icon had gone. I found it in the Ahead program files. I can't find Nero Burning ROM. I don't think I ever had it or at least I can't remember it ever showing up in that list. The install was done by the company that sold me the computer.
    [​IMG]
    Well, this is strange. I looked around for the exact version number of my Nero and through the Infotool I read that my Burning ROM is 6.6.0.16. Where is it and why doesn't it show up in Nero????? Sure is a burning question!
    My Playstation 2 is Version 2.14 I think.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear ness0108,

Could I ask a basic question: What was the format of your video (e.g. avi, wmv) before you tried to convert with Nero?

9. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hi scf_au
    I think I saved it as a DV AVI File. Then through Nero encoded it to M-Peg 2.
    Thanks for your involvement.
    Ness

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@ness0108

Yes.. you could use either NeroVision Express or VSO DivXToDVD to convert the AVI files into DVD files. They're both good equally in my opinion.

Back to your Burning Rom application now. Could it be that when you installed or upgraded Burning Rom and you didn't check for Burning Rom to be attached the shortcut with StartSmart? That is strange indeed, if you said you have Nero 6.6.0.16 -- Nero 6.6.0.16 has everything you'll ever needed, even if I just installed package #1 & #2 only using 6.6.0.16 and I still have Burning Rom.

12. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hey...You guys have bought me fantastic luck. I have been trying to burn successfully for 4 days solid, except for housework etc. I have just successfully burn't to DVD+R. (Giddyup!) I have even played it on the Playstation 2. (Yippeeeeee)
    The audio has strange popping, crackling, static types sounds for some reason that isn't on the file. Something to do with the encoding maybe?
    At least now I know it can be done...eventually. I am sooooo tired, but so thrilled.
    I still think maybe somethings missing (Burning ROM) from my Nero????
    Do you think a reinstall would help?
    Afterdawn rocks. Thanks for your reply scf_au. Your "Good Luck" really did bring me good luck and at this time of night it's nice to share the great news with someone who knows how frustrating this can all be. There's no stopping me now!
    Ness

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nice to know! And luck travels back and forth between people who are willing to share it, I guess ..... *_*

Anyway, may be you could tell us how you finally did it so we could figure out a way to improve the sound?

14. ness0108

ness0108 Member

Hi scf_au
    When and if I fix the sound problem I will definately let you know. The noise wasn't on the file or the very first burn (the one that would only play on the computer) but showed up in the preview screen just before pressing the burn button on the successful burn for DVD. Unfortunately I have alot on at the moment and don't know when I'll get back to it. It's killing me. I'd rather be working on my project than ironing etc, but thems the breaks as they say. Also have to squeeze in a trip to Sydney.
    Ness

15. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

No problem, just enjoy your trip and post again if need be.

Bon voyage!

16. jk350

jk350 Guest

alkohol i need your help.
    I see that you have used maxell dvd+r's and have had great sucess. Unfortinally i have not. I am stuck, i have the same dvd's but DVD decrypter will burn my downloaded backups but has a series of errors and the game will not play right. I have tryed burning on 1X as well as 4X. I have also tried Nero, Alcohol 120%, and clone DVD, with no sucess with anyone of them. What aam i doing rong? Could you or anyone else tell me what you do to burn on your Maxell DVD+r's.

Thanks jk350