1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to copy a copy???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 305ss2, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

I have a backup of the movie "Heat". When I backed it up, it backed up fine; I used my usual process (DVDShrink then burn with Nero). But I recently tried to copy my backup, and I receive errors with all software that I use. I have tried DVDShrink, Nero (just using the copy DVD feature), and DVDFab Platinum. With all these programs, the copy process stops around 58%. It just starts going very slow and has read errors. Anyone know why this would happen? It doesn't really make sense because I figured with the copy, all the protection has been removed.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the disc is degrading or is smudged/scratched.

Check the back for any dirt/smudges/scratches. Clean it off with something non abrasive in a non circular motion.
    if you have another drive you can use to rip - try that one. Some are better then others with these type of read errors.

Poorer quality media doesn't usually stand the test of time - I've found that out the hard way myself :)
    Use quality stuff like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or made in Japan Sony, Fuji or Maxell.
    For discs like this I try ripping w/ dvd decrypter. If file mode doesn't work try iso mode or doing just movie only in file mode.

3. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

I doubt it's a media issue because it's only a year old. I use either TDK or Imation discs, are these not qualtiy? Also, I have not seen a Taiyo Yuden disc in stores, would it be under another name?

4. binkie7

Both TDK and Imation use different manufacturers - some good some not.
    They can be hit or miss on what you'll get.
    I've had discs with read errors go bad even sooner than 1 year.
    In store Taiyo look for made in Japan Sony and Fuji though the 16x speed mij Sony's are made by Sony themselves - still good. They're usually the 8x but getting harder to find.
    Taiyo Yuden can also be bought on reputable online stores like in the US - supermediastore.

How about the firmware of the drive - is it up to date?

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i agree with Binkie,

this is a sign of poor media quality

DL this program to see who really makes your media.

post that info as i'm curious to see if they are CMC or Prodisc

6. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

This disc is CMC. The drive I am using is an Iomega drive that is about 5 years old. On the company website it says the firmware is included in XP. I never have problems backing up new movies though, that's why I'm so confused as to why this one won't work. If it was a bad disc, would it still play in a DVD player?

7. binkie7

Ah CMC - those usually degrade faster - at least in my experience.

Yes it could still play in a player - players are more forgiving of errors - they will pass right over and you may not even notice.
    Ripping on the other hand tries to rip every byte so when it hit a bad spot you'll get that error.
    At some point if the errors are bad enuf then even players may have a problem playing it.

The firmware is different - I think the website is referencing the drivers and yes they would be the ones with XP.
    What's the model # of the Iomega?

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

A five-year-old drive with a new, perhaps 16X, DVD disc is evidence of poor compatibility that would disguise any quality problems if there were any. A Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim or any "made in Japan" 16X disc may also have the same problems because the dyes are more sensitive, and the firmware settings in an older drive may not work with discs rated for faster speeds.

The discs may play in a DVD player for a while, but the error rates are probably at or above the specification limit. In time the discs won't work in a DVD player. Ripping software that is intolerant of errors--won't allow many passes to attempt to correct the errors--will stumble and stop at a section of the disc that will produce pixels from a DVD player. The best solution in this case is to get a newer drive and check the older recordings. They may be OK; but if 8X or 16X discs were recorded on a 5-year-old drive, the scans won't be pretty no matter what brand was used.

9. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

OK, I'll pick up a new burner, they're cheap enough on newegg so why not. What are the best brands? Is it worth it to go SATA rather than IDE?

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

No data transfer to or from optical media (except 6X Blu-ray) is going to put a strain on IDE. Stick with that and avoid the complications of SATA conflicts or requirements.

Plextor makes excellent drives--actually Lite-on now makes the drives for them. Lite-on is good, but firmware updates often disable almost as much as they enable if the engineers have been careless. At least Lite-on does offer regular updates. Pioneer also makes excellent drives. LG's drives are steady, but their firmware is usually a few months behind the discs on the market. NEC was once an excellent choice also, but the Optiarc mess Sony got them to step into has hurt them.

11. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

The model number of the Iomega is DVDRW4216INP-A. I bought a Lite-On LH-20A1H-185 off newegg. We'll see if that improves my burning.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm just curious what those conflicts might be? and the requirments are if you have SATA connections on the MB if not then I guess you shouldn't be thinking about SATA in the first place.

I have been installing only SATA drives in all of the computers I have built lately (last 15 or so) and I haven't seen any issues what so ever. In fact I would highly recommend SATA drives if your board has the capabilities they are much easier to hook up they run faster and you wont have a glob of cables (IDE) messing things up.

IDE is dying out slowly I would say in the next 5 years or so it's going to be hard to find anything IDE heck most boards now a days only have one IDE slot. If your system can support it I would recommend you get the newest technology out there so you won't have to replace it as soon the next time. Besides there isn't even a difference in SATA and IDE when it comes to price.

Here are some of the benifits of having SATA

One benefit of sata for system builders is the fact that the cables which connect the drive are so much smaller than the regular tick grey ribbons which connect ide drives. The reduced size of the wires allow for better airflow which is becoming increasingly important as processors get faster and as systems support more RAM. All that speed and memory can make a lot of heat as you are well aware. Anything that helps keep your PC running cool is a good development.

Another benefit change is the different power connector. Even though some drives still offer the 5v 4 pin power connector, most sata drives come with a 15pin 250mV power connector. This reduces the load on the computer’s power supply which will also help decrease in-case temperatures.

Another benefit of the sata interface is the ability to hot swap drives. Hot swap means that you can pull your drive from your machine and replace it with a different disk without restarting your computer. This will be especially helpful for people who are not familiar with configuring a RAID array for backups.

The true maximum transfer rate of PATA is 100 MB/sec with bursts up to 133 MB/sec. With the first introduction of SATA, the maximum transfer rate was 150 MB/sec. This has increased now to a maximum transfer of 300 MB/sec and it will go to 600 MB/sec in 2008.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  13. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The only complications I was referring to were the possibilities of not having SATA connectors on a motherboard and having to add a PCI card to the system. If the computer is new and has a sufficient number of SATA connections, a SATA drive makes sense for the simplicity of connections. If a user with a 5-year-old drive wants to buy a new drive, it is unlikely that his or her computer has a motherboard with SATA connections on it.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This would be true JoeRyan, but the user asked about SATA so I guess I was assuming he/her knew if they had the capability or not? You are more than likely right though and they probably don't have the capability without adding a additional card.