1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unable to copy mini dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sigchld, Apr 6, 2007.

1. sigchld

sigchld Member

I have home videos on my fujifilm mini dv-rw . It works fine in my sony digital camcorder but it dosen't read in my pc. I'm not able to copy or edit since my pc shows "No disc " error.
    Pls help. Thanks

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Make sure you have finalized it in the Sony camcorder. Check the manual. It will not play in any other device unless it is finalized.

3. sigchld

sigchld Member

I finalised before taking it out. Pls help with other suggestions !

4. ireland

ireland Active member

i have a sony camera,and i am able to read the mini dvd in my dvd burner it will not see the disk in my dvd-rom..
    see if that will work for ye..

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Will they play on stand alone players?

Sounds like a compatability issue. You'll have to round up another dvd-rom or dvd-rw drive to find 1 that'll recognize that disc. Also,make sure they play in at least 1 stand alone player.

Try to locate a family member,friend,neighbor and see if their dvd-rom or dvd-rw drive/s will recognize them. If you can find one,then borrow it so you can backup that disc.

JoeRyan: Is there anything about V and VR modes for digital dvd camcorders-like on tv stand alone dvd burners?

I still have 8 mm, LOL!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

sigchld most all of the mini disk ar dvd-r and a lot of dvd rom drives will not read dvd-r disks, if your burner is a multi format drive you should be able to read and burn it to disk but unless your standalone dvd player plays dvd-r disks i would burn it as a +r disk, i know i had the same problem when i tryed to copy a mini dvd that my cuzz had made, so i had a friend burn it to a dvd+r disk s i could make copys for my cuzz he made a police training video of the use of pepper spary, and it was a gass, hope this helps

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Saugmon,

That's a good point. Camcorders record in the VR format because they don't know the ending point of the program when they start--just like stand-alone DVD TV recorders and unlike computer drives that know the exact size of the files being recorded to disc. That's why even rewritable discs have to be finalized.

I don't think that's the problem because the PC drive should be able to read finalized discs even in the VR format. The whole point of recording DVDs is to make them appear to players as if they were molded DVD discs, and finalization puts the critical information on the disc regarding its size and file system. Rewritable discs have far less reflectivity than dye-based discs, and it may be possible that the reflectivity of the Fuji DVD-RW falls below what the PC drive needs in order to recognize it.

If a finalize mini DVD-R recorded in the camera works in the PC, then the problem is not the VR format but more likely the lower level of reflectivity. If even the DVD-R does not work, it suggests that the computer may be the problem. (But the drive should still see the disc if the problem is software related--the software won't play the VR format but the drive should still see the disc. The fact that the drive does not see the disc at all--and it's a DVD-RW that conforms to the DVD Forum specs--suggest low reflectivity as the cause.) That's what I would guess--but this problem is unusual.

8. sigchld

sigchld Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. While trying different things, a question crossed my mind. Do I have to update the drivers for my dvd burner? Will I be able to solve the issue by doing this. If so where will I be able to get the suitable drivers?
    Thanks

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Go to the website of the manufacturer/seller of the drive model you have and check the "support" section for updates. It's always good to check every few months or so for updates if your drive is less than a year old. If it is older than that, the drive manufacturers have lost interest in your drive and expect you to spring for a new one.