1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to extract .rar files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by footman, Dec 15, 2004.

1. footman

footman Member

Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out of my predicament.

I am trying to extract several .rar files (84 to be exact) using WinRAR. The file is 4.13GB and when it reaches 100% I get a warning saying:-

"There is not enough space on the disk. Write error: only NTFS file system supports files larger than 4GB"

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well footman, it seems you're running a FAT32 filing system on your PC and as such you're limited to 4 GB of space.

It's easy and safe to convert dfrom FAT32 to NTFS and your HD will also be managed better to boot. Come into the 21st Century, it's a nice place to be -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it’s causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It’s not -

You haven’t made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you’re worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you’ll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol), but you've never had the time to do it. I understand, really I do and guess what there Alfie, you don't really have to do it now. I haven’t heard of anyone's PC experiencing an atomic melt down, killing their owner with radioactive poisoning or losing even a single file when upgrading FAT32 to NTFS. It’s the right move -

No worries mate, you’re just a little bit behind the times is all -

No trouble converting your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, it’s safe and fast.

Hey, take a second and learn something about it -

This is a good place to start, it compares both file systems and their performance -

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

(Be sure to check the comparison of the 2 at the bottom of the page) -

Ok, feel better ? You’re about to be brought into the light -

This program is called Partition Magic 8 is simple and easy and best of all - you download the trial version so it costs you Nada, Zip, Zilch as in free. (It’s a good thing, right ? Yep, you bet.)

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Let me know how you make out, OK ?

Cheers,

Pete

3. footman

footman Member

Hallelujah, I have seen the light. I am now back in the 21st Centuary!

I downloaded the trial version of Partition Magic 8 but was unable to use this to convert the FAT 32 file to NTFS - probably something to do with it only being a trial version.

However, once I knew what the problem was I was able to use the C: Prompt to convert.

Many thanks for your help Pete, keep up the good work!!

Neil.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Congrats Neil,

It's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier -
    (NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then,

Sea Ya - - - Pete :D)

5. djgeejay

djgeejay Member

Ok i have a question

I recently got a 4.5gb ISO image in rar files, and recieved the follwing error:

" There is not enough space on the disk.
    ! Write error: only NTFS file system supports files larger than 4 GB"

Now upon researching this error i formatted one of my partitions which the file resided, using the command prompt CONVERT utility. Now in win explorer it says the partition has the NTFS file system, yet i still get this error even though the partition is now NTFS?

Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help!

Geejay

6. capone1

capone1 Member

yeah i have the same problem... can anyone figure out a solution ?

7. djgeejay

djgeejay Member

Hey Capone1

Here's is how i solved it - I just used a different program to uncompact the file. I tried over and over again until it reached 96%.8 only to have it repeat the same error even after formatting to NTFS.

I used 7-Zip file manager

http://www.7-zip.org/

solved all my problems and typically such an easy solution. :p

Hope it works for you and others alike!

dj_geejay

8. Sw5272

Sw5272 Member

Hi,

I am trying to extract several .rar files using WinRAR. The file is 4.3GB and when it reaches 100% I get a warning saying:-

"There is not enough space on the disk. Write error: only NTFS file system supports files larger than 4GB"

I have tired 7-zip program named below.

When I used it. It also failed.

HELP please.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

footman,

You require a proggy named WinRar,, just "goggle" for it - it's easy to find -

It's a comreession proggy like WinZip BUT many think it's much better -

cheers,

Pete :)

10. footman

footman Member

Hi Sw5272,

Sounds as if you have the same problem I did. As ScubaPete suggested (see above) you need to change from a FAT32 filing system to an NTFS system.

Follow the guide above, its really simple and there is nothing to worry about, honest!!

Neil.

11. Sw5272

Sw5272 Member

What guide? (1) I already have winrar. (2) I read all that's above and I am still in the same place I started. Just now I have a few more programs on my system. Partition 8 & 7-zip. Neither have done a thing.

Give me a step by step.

12. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Windows XP/2000/NT can use NTFS, or FAT file systems.
    Windows 98/ME can only use FAT file systems.

Versions of Windows that can use NTFS have a built in converter.

One of the biggest problems when people make a upgrade from Win98-ME to WinXP is they skip the part at the beginning where there is the option to convert their drives from FAT to NTFS before installing WinXP.

A NTFS file system is what you should be using on XP.
    The only reason to continue to use a FAT file system is if you are also running another OS like Win98-ME or Linux on that computer.

Even after installing WinXP/2000 you can convert your FAT drives to NTFS.
    Open Help and Support and search for Convert NTFS to get complete directions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314097
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/convert_to_ntfs_using_command.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

Example:
    Click Start > Run and type.
    Convert C: /FS:NTFS

Before you make the conversion to NTFS.
    You need to have free space on your drive to do this conversion. I would say that 20% would be a minimum amount of free space.
    It is a good idea to both defragment the drive and run a error check fixing both file system errors and recovery of bad sectors.
    Right click on your drive and select Properties and these options are on the Tools tab.

13. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

NTFS is also a more efficient file system than FAT 32.
    Also don't forget to defrag your system every so often, this helps keep your PC running well.(check out Diskeeper it's better than the defragmentaion tool that comes with windows.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  14. Sw5272

Sw5272 Member

Ok, my operations system is still win98SE. Do I need to get winxp before I can make any corrections.