1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Unable to find system volume that meets criteria"???

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by rizza55, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rizza55

rizza55 Member

I am having a problem with my windows vista instillation and I don't know what to do. I can get to the part where you pick a disk or partition to install on but when i pick the partition or disk it says "windows vista is unable to find a system volume that meets this criteria" whatever thats supposed to mean. I am trying to install Windows vista ultimate onto a 48GB partition from a 320GB hardrive. I have an asus crossahir 590sli motherboard and an AMD64 X2dualcore6000+ if that helps. Thanks in advance.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You will need to go into the disk manager and make the partition an active partition before Vista will install. I would suggest backing up your machine before you attempt any changes. You do not want to lose the XP install and programs.

3. rizza55

rizza55 Member

I'm having trouble finding the disk manager (I haven't had to use this before).Could you point me in the direction of it.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

To set up dual boot on XP I recommend that you read this information. I don't want you to make an error and not have it work the way that you want it to.
    http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

To access disk management use the control panel -> performance and Maintenance -> administrative tools -> computer management. A window will open and you will see disk management in the tree. You will have to make a separate partition and make it active. Just read about it because you will lose disk space when you do this. This article will help you along the way.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308424

Because you have a 320 GB HDD you should be fine, but remember that you will lose disk space. Be sure to allocate the correct amount of space for each OS. I hope this helps.

Edit: The article will tell you as well, but you will have to be logged in as administrator to do the actions you desire.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. rizza55

rizza55 Member

Your the best, got my windows installed and running, thanks syxguns!!!!

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Good deal! Glad to be of assistance!