1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Unable to Flash Firmware"

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Ason12, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

Whenever I try to update my firmware for my Lite-On SHW-1635SX, I always get this message, "Unable to Flash Firmware". I've tried just about everything I can to make it to work. What do you all suggest?

Thanks

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Are you running any antivirus software? If so, did you disable it during the flashing procedure (My first thought)?

Then I ran a search at www.rpc1.org for your model name and found NO listing. There were results for a liteon 1635S, but not an "SX" suffix. Maybe your drive can not be flashed?

3. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

I disabled my Anti-Virus during the flash process. 1635SX is the External version of the 1635S, they run on the same firmware

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Hmmm ... the "unable to flash firmware" message is not very specific help from your system.

I have an internal Sony and an external Toshiba, both have been able to flash without problems. I don't think internal vs external should be an issue. Have you tried a Liteon tech or one of their support forums?

Maybe another member here might have another view on this?

5. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

I have contacted them, their support didn't work either. Also I joined a forum, that is a little more specific on Lite-On, still no help. Anyone else have any ideas?

6. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Can you connect the drive as an internal? There are sometimes problems flashing external drives. Is it connected via USB?

What format is the flash utility (ie is it a exe, bin, etc)?

7. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

I can't make it internal, as far as I know, and I connect via usb. The firmware is .exe

8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Put the firmware on a floppy and boot into Safe Mode. Try and flash from there.

9. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

I definatly got farther with trying that, it appeared to go about three times as far, before I got the message.

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Do you have another cable to try? It is a USB 2 cable, right?

11. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

It has a weird end to one side, it is the cord that comes in the box with it

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

By "weird end" do you mean the one end is smaller than the other? That's called an A to B cable. The larger being the A and the smaller one the B. You might want to try and get a new cable. Make sure, if you do, it's USB 2.0 NOT 1.1

A 1.1 cable will be cheaper but will slow down data transfer. Might result in burn errors.

13. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

I tried using a different A to B cord, but still the same result

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Does the .exe file have an icon (picture) or is it a blank box?

Where did you get the firmware update from? What version is it? Did you try and download it again?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  15. Ason12

Ason12 Guest

.exe with picture. Downloaded from their website. Multiple times

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest