1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unable to install an os on a new custom pc

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by flanker27, May 31, 2007.

1. flanker27

flanker27 Member

hello friends, i have this big and weird problem never seen before though i have intalled windows several times before with no problems.
    no i just built a new pc and when it comes to install windows as the operating system i have to skip many files because setup says that the file inmage on the disk or hard drive is not a valid windows file or something like that. after skipping so many files windows cannot operate and the installing process fails.i know there's not a single scratch on the disc.could anyway i trust your expertise and know somebody will come with the answer.

thanks

al

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Have you tried installing it differently. Like try runnig it off a boot disk a:\ and then after that go into command prompt and try installing the Operating System again.

3. flanker27

flanker27 Member

thanks for your response, though, i don't undertand what do you mean by installing it differenly.
    i rebooted the system and it boot from my dvd player with the windows disc in it.

any ideas?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I mean go into your bios and change the boot sequence so it will boot from your A:\ if you have one (The little disk drive) and then go and get a system boot disk from bootdisk.com and then restart the computer and boot from the small disk and then when you get to command prompts then go to your CD\DVD drive and then type setup and see if it boots and installs your Operating System.

Here is the link to the boot disk website. You have to go through the list to find the boot disk you need for your operating system.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Good Luck. :)

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

Once when I was having a similar problem, I had to use a different dvd-rom, the original one that was installed on the computer was having problems reading the windows installation disc. If you have an extra cd-rom or dvd-rom you might one to try it(some can read discs better than others. If that don't work I would remove a memory ram stick(if you have 2 of them) and try that, or moving a memory stick from slot 1 to slot 2 or vice versa. That has help me in the past when I have built a new computer and couldn't get windows to install. Maybe the above steps can help you. The only time I failed to solve this type of problem was because I had a defective motherboard(brand new)but that is extremely rare.

6. flanker27

flanker27 Member

thanks partner, i will definitely try that out and will let you know the outcome. i basucally get a message saying " the file set up put in your drive is not a valid windows image"
    can it be a faulty ide wire? i used hirens boot disk to test the new itachi hard drive for errors and it was error free. so we can rule out for now the hard drive as the main problem. any more clues?

thanks a million

7. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Try get another copy of the Operating System and see if that one goes through with no errors and if it does go through with no problems you know that your other disc is faulty.

8. flanker27

flanker27 Member

i have tried different discs including win98 xp home and xp pro with the same results
    i will change theide wire and maybe install a different dvd drive to see if that solves the problem but the main problem is when set up is trying to copy files

9. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I don't think its the wire due to the fact that it is going through the setup proccess and copying some files. It maybe the DVD Drive you may wanna change that first and see if that makes any difference.

10. flanker27

flanker27 Member

i think you're right about it. i change the dvd rom a put a cd a the problem is the same. why set up can't copy some files to the hard drive is main question???

11. flanker27

flanker27 Member

what would happen if i install another hard drive containing windows to this new pc and board? will that create a conflict?

12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I Have done this before and the main thing that will happen is it will ask for the CD Key again because it needs to configure the new hard drive with the motherboard etc... After you put the CD key in you may only need to reinstall the motherboard drivers again and then everything will be back to normal.

If this is occurring you may have some hardware issues that may cause you to rebuild from scratch by the sounds of it if the other ideas before do not fix the problem like trying to install the hard drive.