1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to recover toc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hwilliams, Nov 6, 2004.

1. hwilliams

hwilliams Member

Hello,

I really have trawled the net looking for an answer to this. With all the helpful guides I thought this would be the place to post my woes. Having read lots of threads I have tried to post all the info you may require to help, sorry if it is a bit long winded.

Following Scuba Pete's guide to burning DVDs (see bruning copy protected DVDs thread) using DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter I have successfully copied the DVD from my original disk on to the hard drive. As promised DVD decryptor then opens and I insert my blank DVD-R. The drive makes lots of unusual noises, which I assume is the burning process and then a message comes up at the bottom saying "Device not ready (unable to recover TOC)".

I *think* my device is a dvd-r as it is a Toshiba machine and when I clicked on properties of the drive that is what it said.

Here is the log from DVD decrypter:
    I 13:14:45 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.1.0 started!
    I 13:14:45 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    W 13:14:45 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB
    I 13:14:45 Initialising SPTI...
    I 13:14:45 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 13:14:45 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

I have also read from other threads that the quality of the media is important. From the list that was posted in the original scuba pete guide I found a little difficult. I am in europe and some of the types of media I can't find at all and others are for dvd+r only. So I did some research on the brands they do have and picked up some EMTEC dvd-r's which had a very good online review elsewhere.

I should let you know that I am a novice in every sense of the word and will not understand abbreviations unless explained in very precise detail.

Thanks in anticipation!

Hannah

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there hannah, welcome to aD,

The O/S filing system you're using was great for windows 95 and 98 BUT for XP we need to get you updated - DO NOT WORRY - it's all good and it's painless and - ScubaPete said so (he, he)

Check this out - FAT32 to NTFS, It's the right move - It's upgrading -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it's causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It's not -

You haven't made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you're worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you'll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol). But for now, it's not a problem. I haven't ever heard of anyone losing their PC or even a single file -

No worries my little "Chick-a-dee", you're just a little bit behind the times is all -

No trouble converting your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, it's safe and fast.

Hey, take a second and learn something about it -

This is a good place to start, it compares both file systems and their performance -

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

(Be sure to check the comparison of the 2 at the bottom of the page) -

Ok, feel better ? You're about to be brought into the light -

This program is called Partition Magic 8 is simple and easy and best of all - you download the trial version so it costs you Nada, Zip, Zilch as in free. (It's a good thing, right ? Yep, you bet.)

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Ya feel better working in the Command window - No worries either, Check Herbsman (a MOD) away back when he was just a member, he will give you the "Skinny" right here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81003

OK now, you should be set.

Now, I want you to check something else for me, OK (Yea, you be da girl, I knew you would :)

We want to make sure you have something called an ASPI Layer - DO NOT WORRY - again, easy now, it's all good and it's painless :)

Read here - http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Now here is a tool to tell us if we have one OR if we need one -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Now, if we need one, here's the best "Force ASPI" (remember we read about that. It's all good - - - :)
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

Any questions, stop back and we'll try to help :p)

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  3. hwilliams

hwilliams Member

Scuba,

You are such a selfless man to take the trouble to help little old me. I am so grateful!

I have managed to change from FAT32 to NTFS, and am rather proud of myself for managing it! However when I click on the "find out if you need aspi" link it says DO NOT DOWNLOAD IF YOU RUN XP which scared me a bit, so I didn't. I tried another burn anyway, and got my good ol' TOC error again! Grrr! However the bit about FAT32 did not appear in the decrypter log, so I think we are getting closer.

So should I throw caution to the wind and download the check? Or will it damage my system?

Thanks,

Hannah (your humble servant in permanant awe of your knowledge)

4. hwilliams

hwilliams Member

Sorry,

have found the XP okay ASPI checker and run it (even more proud of myself!). The check says: ASPI is fully installed and fully operational.

Please help!

Hannah

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ya see that ? No pain - I promised you that, you're doing great ! ! :)

Ok there Hannah,I've been doing some work for you and here's what I found -

Offerer: EMTEC
    Designation: DVD r
    Print: Emtec
    Packing: Jewel Case
    EAN code: 4009993233477
    UPC code: without
    Detail:
    Manufacturer's code: OPTODISCK001
    Manufacturer: Optodisc Technology corporation (Not a very good Mfgr, sorry :(
    Dye type: Unknown (Not a good sign. When a good grade of dye is used Mfgr "Brag: about it :(
    Version:
    Data capacity: 4.70 GB
    Video capacity: 120 minutes (standard Play)

CONCLUSION: You need a change of discs.

Try this site, What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Where it says, "Offerer:" on the lower right side, type in the disc's name. then click "anziegen" which will take you to the next page. When the next page comes up, click the ">and the magnafing glass", that will take you to the final page. You want anything made by Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek Taiyo Yuden or TDK.

I also want you to check your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0 Set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change "Removal Method from "Normal" to "Agressive" and now in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . In the I / O tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors".

Now try to go at it again and see if we have made any headway :p)

Pete

6. hwilliams

hwilliams Member

Scaba sweetie,

I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I'm afraid work has been awful this week (I'm a teacher) and dvd burning had gone to the bottom of the agenda. I didn't want you to think I had ignored you or ,worse, solved my problem and dissappered. I will post when I have had a chance to try out your excellent advice.

You are such a kind man to take the time to solve the worries of others with no tangible benefit to yourself. What a rare, refreshing and remarkable quality that is. Thankyou.

Hannah

7. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

You have to get up awfully early to get one over on Pete!

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

yes, hwilliams - - I'll just wait over until I'm needed,

(Puurrrrrrrr, Puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Puurrrrrrr)

Yep, ya'll, I know I'm bein petted but,

it feels good soooo, whatever she says, I'll just be a'waitin'

(Puurrrrrrrr, Puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Puurrrrrrr)