1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to watch burned AVCHD on Standalone blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Bizbone, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

Hello.

Bluray Player: Samsung BD-P1500
    DVD Media: TDK DVD+R

I've gotten a hold of a couple Blu-ray movies in 720p and .mkv format. They were just about big enough where I would remux them they would be a couple hundred MB too big to fit on the disc.

Anyhow I now used Ripbot and got the movie to be about 3.00GB. Muxed it into Bluray format. Burned the BDMV and Certificate onto the dvd with imgburn and tried nero also(with UDF 2.5). I ensured they were burn to the root of directory. Then popped it in my bluray play and it won't play. What am I doing wrong?

A friend sold me a copy of a bluray movie, same dvd media. I browsed the disc and it's in the same bluray structure and plays fine. Where I'm getting at is am I missing a step to make the dvd5 bootable in my Blu-ray Player?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did you reduce bitrate from 30,000 to say 17,500? 30,000 will be too high for a lot of standalone when using DVD 5 or 9. A reduction of bitrate won't reduce visual quality.

3. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

Do I do that with the general's tab in tsmuxer?

4. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

I Reread the sticky and I assume I must redo it all with MeGUI

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You can do it with Ripbot if that's what you're using. Standalone home players can only playback type 5 and 9 at 2X to 3X speed and a high bitrate is more demanding than that, and often not needed either. It's advisable to lower your bitrate to compensate.

[​IMG]

6. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

Thanks for your help. I'm going to give this a go.

7. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

Works like a charm! Thanks..Now to decorate the 10 DVD Coasters.

One thing, It came out to 3GB. Am I losing any real quality in the mission ~1.0GB? If so do you think I would get better/noticeable results using the megui/avisynth combo? Maybe I should give that a try, Saw that it takes about 10 hours to recode with Ryu's settings on a Quadcore. So I will let it run overnight.

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

It's all a matter of preference really, I swear by MeGUI/AviSynth using Ryu77's profile. Sophocles is the same with Ripbot... I guess whatever works best for you in your situation.

One thing I do recommend, whichever encoding method you do use, try to use the entire storage space on whatever media you choose.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

odin

I use Tsmuxe and Megui, it all depends on the movie and if I run into any difficulties muxing or sizing. I always recommend Ripbot to new users because it is by far the simplest BD backup method, or at least I think it is. LOL

To get the size as close as possible to filling the full disc with Ripbot. Choose to 2 pass and then to the right check lock size and using the pull down menu choose the size that is closest to the disc you are using. For a single layer disc choose the one around 4250 and for a dual layer 8200.

10. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

Thanks to you both, one more question. I've tried the megui/avisynth combo. It was pretty easy after reading through the sticky guides. With Ryu's profile it only took about 4 hours total. No noticeable difference to, to me atleast. I'd probably notice a difference if I had the two playing side by side.

I think I must have done it wrong since a 4 hour recode is about half of what others say it should be. Hmm could it be because it was only a 4GB movie? 2 hours long? I'm on a Quad Core (2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, x64 Vista, 512GB DDR3 GFX card)

Thanks for both your help, both methods were pretty easy.

11. Bizbone

Bizbone Member

I think I found out why I didn't see as much difference as I probably should. I mis-calculated my bitrate.

I did (4.37GB x 94%) - (BD header?) - (570MB for sound)

Instead of (4.37 x 94%) - 570MB

Final size was about 3.7GB

So I missed about 400MB of quality. No biggy atleast I know what to do next time.

4100MB is my target size? or is it 4250MB

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've used the preset that is in lock tool bar setting. I think it's about 4250, and the final result came in at 4.37 which is the absolute limit of a type 5 so that was shaving things pretty close. I only use dual layer sizing if I have a long running movie say more than 2 hours and 10 minutes. Remember it's the total number of frames that determine bitrate settings the most. Also pay close attention to the different audio file types because HD Audio can use as much as 2 Gigabytes alone so it is better to choose a higher compressed audio such as AC3 448kpbs or 64oKpbs.

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Talk about shaving it close, I just did a DVD9 and left 1500kb of free space... my closest so far :)

On the other hand, since I do DVD9 all of the time I choose DTS @ 1536kb/s, the video still looks great.

Man, that's a fully loaded PC!! If your recode was 720p that sounds about right. A 2hr 1080p recode on a DVD9 might take you 10-12 hours.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

odin

Most of my results come in at around 4.15-4.2 and I have yet to go over but the last one was a conversion from HD DVD to BD and it had a run time of 2 hours and 10 minutes. Fortunately it burned well and played well.

Another one of my interests is computer building and over clocking, and so it only made sense to build something that is fast and can shave off some time. My last encode with two passes not including remuxing took 4 hours and 22 minutes. Here's my secret weapon.

[​IMG]

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I have no idea what any of that means, but 4hrs22min... daaaam. Is that for 1080p writing, or 720p?

Is overclocking safe for your PC. Is it something that can be achieved by someone that is somewhat computer saavy... such as myself?

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The stuff that I showed demonstrates an Intel Quad core at 3.915 GHz and yes it's full 1080P encoding.

Completely safe if done wisely, it's all about temperatures. I'm using water cooling which is superior to air and if you look at my processor voltage setting you will note that it is quite low.

Yes and no. If you have a home built or custom built PC then yes, but if you have a commercial build such as a Dell or HP then probably not. MY rigs are all home built and have been for over 14 years.

[q