1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncompressed AVI to Xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by brandonjp, Oct 12, 2004.

1. brandonjp

brandonjp Member

Very sorry if i've just missed it or if it's too simple to be worth the post, but I've got several misc. raw AVI files (15-60 min) that i've captured & I'd like to compress them in some way...my thought was Xvid, but I've had a hard time finding help with the steps to compress the AVI's to Xvid. - also, I'm open to suggestions, however, about what compression i should use, etc. I could burn video DVDs, but figured i could fit more footage by compressing the files and burning onto data DVDs. Any help is appreciated.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi BJP,
    AVI (AudioVideo Interleave) files are compressed already, using a cornucopia of codecs.
    So, not going by time but rather by filesize, you can fit 800MB on CD and 4500MB on DVD.
    That is a whole big bunch of 15-60 minute AVIs :)
    The point is, encoding them to DivX (or XviD) wouldn't really be compressing them - it would more accurately be described as transcoding.
    It is a not-insignificant job taking lots of time & effort, and the files (thought they will lose quality) will not necessarily become much smaller.
    I would recommend encoding to DVD-standard MPEG2, for maximum playback compatibility, but as you said, I can fit 6 2-hour DivX films on one DVD :)
    So it's tough to beat MPEG4 on compression.
    Try GordianKnot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    It will open an AVI as its source-file.
    There is also AutoGordianKnot (AutoGK) which is more automatic, for NooBies
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/autoGK.cfm
    and I assume it will use AVI as its source, too...
    Hope this helps,
    Regards