1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undeletable File!

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by GREIMIC10, Apr 17, 2007.

1. GREIMIC10

GREIMIC10 Member

I seriously need some help.
    I was using limewire and accidentally clicked to download a file i didn't want. as soon as i found out i stopped the download, I went into the incomplete folder (the folder where limewire puts all of your stopped downloads) to delete the file but nothings happens.
    When i right click all i get is a a menue that says play, add to now playing list, add to playlist, add to sync list, add to burn list, open with and send to. I cannot move the file and i cannot move to. Nothing happens when i try to delete it.
    I tried to compress it in winrar, but it gave me an error. The file is titled as an AVI. file with an appropriate icon, but in winrar it has the same icon as My Computer does and under file type is doesnt say AVI., it says System Folder. When i right click in winrar i can select delete files but it says " Cannot Delete File:" without an explaination.
    Anyone please help

2. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Go to start>run type cmd
    type:
    del (File path)
    For example:
    del C:\Windows\System32\virus
    The file's name would be virus in this example, and it would be loacated in C:\Windows\System32
    Or you can start in safe mode by:
    Pressing F8 during the boot, and selecting safe mode, and delete the file like that.

3. GREIMIC10

GREIMIC10 Member

alright i cant boot in safe mode because i don't have admin. privileges but i tried the first thing and it said it couldn't find the file, but i only did it once so ill keep trying in case i made a mistake

4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Of course you can boot in safe mode, unless your computer is part of a network.

5. tron4200

tron4200 Member

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

No software needed..

Open a dos window start>all programs>accessories>command prompt

Balck window opens.. > cd.. > cd..

then navigate to the file> cd C:\path\to\file

> del whatever.aaa (or if it is in a directory of it's own) del *.*

That should shift it.. If it is read only or protected read this http://www.seanet.com/~bross/chattrib.bas

I must ask.. Why are you downloading things from p2p on a machine where you don't have administrator rights?
    If this is a family machine it doesn't really matter I suppose as the only person who could be upset is the home administrator ... If it's a school or college machine you could be looking at a computer access ban at the very least. If that is the case read the computer access/usage policy carefully. (not lecturing you.. it's only sensible to be aware of any consequences)

I'd advise in future making your own dedicated folder for ALL p2p downloads, and ensuring the files go only there.. including any and all p2p applications, settings and logs.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  7. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I already said that jan xD

8. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

I had the same matter before GREIMIC10 and what i did was I just deleted the whole folder where the file is and re-create another folder with same name for example if it was in My Music just delete the folder My Music and empty the Recycle Bin then create new folder and name it My Music, the file wont be there anymore.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  9. GREIMIC10

GREIMIC10 Member

Ok Thanks guys I got it.
    also thank you for the advice
    im never gonna dl anything from a P2P program again.