1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding the whole firmware thing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maxaraxa, Feb 12, 2005.

1. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I have seen on posts that it is important to upgrade the firmware on your burners. The question I have is:
    is that the same thing as updating driversor is it something totally different.
    Thanks again!

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Read here:

forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/152671

Also, use the search engine.

3. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

scf_au, thank you for the reply. I have the vs for both my reader/writer and my dvd rom. So, do I go to the manufacturers website and find the firmware downloads and if there is one higher than mine, install, correct?

4. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I went to Lite-on's website and saw my model there. I saw a file for firmware downloads but it didn't give the version. I am afraid to download it. How can I tell which firmware version the download is? Does it matter?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Yes it matters. You must use only the firmware for your exact burner and only flash with a higher firmware version unless there are major conflicts with a previous firmware and you want to set your burner back to the way it was. Also it's best to make sure that you have a UPS connected to your PC just incase of a power spike or power failure.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

A myth in most cases, you should really only upgrade the firmware if you are encountering read/write errors with different types of manufacturered discs.
    The firmware you upgrade to should be via the manufacturers website and not a 'hacked' firmware.....
    Some upgrades allow faster burns on slower discs, unlock the region protections etc, so there are some advantages with new firmware.

The risk and preferance is down to the individual of course.
    Upgrading the firmware is for a specific reason and not just because everyone else is doing it.

What you should ask yourself is, do you need to upgrade the firmware?

I have only ever upgraded firmware once, and that was with a Pioneer 103, to enable me to burn at 2x rather than 1x (many moons ago).
    I have never upgraded any firmware since - because I haven't needed to.

Again opinion based, but if it ain't broke, why flash it.

7. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Thank you for your reply. I have not had any problems with my writer, no read/write errors so I am going to leave it alone. In regards to "UPS" connected to the puter for power spike/failure, are you referring to a surge protector? Lol when I see UPS I am thinking of the brown trucks that deliver. :)

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

It is a Universal Power supply. Basically a battery that lets you powerdown the computer when power is lost

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

maxaraxa

Actually it is a UPS truck in a way, <G> delivering a constant smooth, spike free A/C source to your system and also includes a backup of that A/C power by it's contained battery, incase of a total power outage, letting you power down before you run out.

It does not however come with a driver wearing brown shorts! <G>

10. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Tee hee hee...

hmmm interesting. Is this a device you hook up to the mobo? Where can I get one? How do you use it?

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Question 1 = They have been know to do a hook up some times.
    Question 2 = Everywhere, just do a pick-up.
    Question 3 = Better have a talk with your parents about this one.

<G>

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  12. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Egads! I went to Newegg and the UPS's range anywhere from $19.00 to $349!!! "eenie meenie minee moe...which UPS I should I buy that don't cost that much dough!"lol

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you live in the US, Costco sells Tripp-Lite 1000 for $89.95. Most places have a sale on name brand units so just keep your eyes open. I have three 1000's and one 750. I did have one go bad and exchanged it at Costco. Nice thing about them is that everything is returnable for life except Computer's which have a 6 month time frame.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  14. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

hey thanks ScubaBud, I don't have a cosco down here but will go visiting best buy....