1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstall

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Oakley28, May 4, 2006.

1. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

Ok so i a while back i installed Mandriva Linux 2006 as a dualboot along side my Windows Xp operating system but during the install i dont know whether this is supposed to happen but linux moved infront of windows thus making linux to boot by defualt unless you change it other wise.

But now i am using a USB wireless keyboad and mouse which doesnt work during boot up so of course Linux will boot indefiantely because i cant change it, but i am currently using 2 keyvboards.

But i would now like to unistall Linux from my machine but have no idea how to, as there is no Unistall feature for an operaring syste.

I dont know if your supposed to but i deleted the partitiion that liniux was created on but that didnt work all that this acheived was that the linux screen appears but will not boot.

Is there any way of removing linux completely from my machine without doing a full format???

Any help would be fantastic ... cheers guys ! ! !

Oakley28

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

The wireless keyboard work as soopn as you boot up...I have one

Oh and yes by default Linux is always first in Dualboot

3. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

it doesnt work because the receiver is USB the receiver does not plug into the PS2 sockets at the back and dos doesnt support USB so thus it doesnt work.

Anyway the question was how to remove linux as i dont need it anymore anyway!!!

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Reformat the linux partitions to one big fat32/NTFS partition, or merge them with your windows partition.
    Should do the trick nicely

5. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

how do i go about doing either of them???

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Use a partitioning tool like partition magic, partition commander or whatever.

7. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

yeah ive got partition magic 8.0 but i cant do anything with it its says this

[​IMG]

not that i know how to use it anyway!!!! any help to get the partition off would be great because its still there even thought its not there

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, without a proper partitioning tool it's nigh impossible to do anything.

9. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

so what would you suggest???

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Personally, i'd suggest you find someone who has said tools, or i'd go and look for Hiren's BootCD, download it (don't worry, it's free to download), burn it to a cd, then use one of the many partitioning tools that are on it.

11. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

this is the wierd thisng tho i have deleted the partiton and its not unallocated, but it still attempts to boot linux and the beggining, but obviously it cant cause its not there hmmmmmmm

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's because you installed a boot manager in the HD's MBR when you installed Mandriva.
    I'm not to well versed on how HD's work in full, so other than formatting the entire HD and then making it into one big partition, and reinstalling Window$, i wouldn't know how to get rid of it (which is the main reason i always install bootmanagers on floppy's or cd's).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  13. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

yeah i see what your saying, but if i get a boot manager an boot using that will i be able to get rid of it?

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I rhink you misunderstood me here, you already have a bootmanager, and it is your problem here.
    You'll need to get rid of it somehow.
    For the rest, i've already told you what to do, so...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  15. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

ok,so ill put it on CD and boot from it and see what i can do from there cuz it doesnt work inside windows

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Hey, if you mean the BootCD i told you to get, indeed, boot from it, it's not called a bootCD for no reason ;)

17. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

LOl.....I love that CD I use it with everything i need to do with partitions.........IT has like 30 different tools.......IF you have a torrentleech account you can get it

18. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

i cant use torrents can anyone tell me where to get it from?

19. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I think you cann get it from thier site

Type it in, in google i forget the URL

20. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Indeed, google the name, it's freely available from several websites.
    Can't give you any links though, most of those sites also have stuff that isn't allowed on Afterdawn.