1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstalling hardware

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by baabaa, Jan 21, 2005.

1. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just gathering a few opinions.

Is there any difference uninstalling hardware (via device manager etc) whilst the PC has booted properly or is it better to uninstall in safe mode?

And if there is BIOS protection enabled, will this interrupt the uninstallation process in any way, ie blue screen/memory dump etc............

This may lead to further questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I alway uninstall via add/remove programs. Have never had a problem.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

My experience is the same as flip's.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bios protection is to prevent bios from being updated by either an update or a virus, so leave protection enabled

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Very intereseting that you should say that ddp...........

My problem (which has only managed to work using safe mode)

Specs:
    XP home edition SP2
    Cheapo PCI modem - pcworld special
    Gigabyte GA-8S655FX-L Motherboard single BIOS version

I have just upgraded to broadband, so all I wanted to do is remove my PCI modem and software.
    I tried several times just using device manager, and add/remove programs for the software.
    Everytime I tried it my PC would flash to the Blue screen/memory dump etc and restart.On the memory dump page it did have references to the BIOS, which does lead me to believe there was some sort of protection on it.............

The only way I managed to uninstall it was through safe mode, HOWEVER I do know that through safe mode reminances of the software and drivers are still apparent in the registry.

I had a look in the BIOS to see what protection is there and if it was active and it was set to auto, I changed it to enabled to see what/if any effect it had, but still the same. There was no option to disable any protection for the BIOS so I am a little bit stumped at this point.........any suggestions would be welcomed......cheers

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

baabaa, it is relatively early in the morning here, so I could be missing something. :) Did you physically pull your modem out of your computer before you tried to uninstall the software?

And, what software would you have running for a PCI modem, anyway. Just curious as all get out, because it SEEMS like it would be a simple thing to do.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

normally it is easy to do so try in safe mode to remove from registry but be careful any reference to modem

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Thanks grandpaBW, good point, but I never physically remove any device until I have uninstalled it first.

I even restored XP back to when I installed the modem and the same thing happened......??????

I don't think it is virus related aswell, just one of those weird sporadic events.........but there must be a reason.
    It has still got me flexed, but like ddp has stated, I think I shall have a play around in the registry in safe mode and see if I can eliminate it that way.........

It does uninstall in safe mode fine, but as previous there are reminances of it still remaining due to drivers etc not being uninstalled in safe mode.

I do think it is an issue with Gigabyte and the BIOS, because it does cause the PC to restart and the blue screen references the BIOS and protection in several places...............

I love a challenge.......................

Thanks for the suggestions.............