1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstalling Norton

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Octovia, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Octovia

Octovia Member

I have Norton 2003 and was wondering how to install it because i've got the new mcafee 2005.Every time i uninstall Norton it deletes my internet registry.Could someone please tell me how to uninstall the right components so i can avoid this problem.Thanks!
    Octovia

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks 2003 about 2 months ago. I did not experience the problem that you have. What Norton are you talking about?

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Norton AV does not get along with Mcafee AV. Problems can happen. Im guessing when you tried to install Norton it told you to uninstall McAfee. You then decided to remove Norton and ran across this problem. I have not run across this exact problem either. If you get some error code then look it up. Also look on symantec.com to see if there is any information about this.

-Del

4. FULLERL

FULLERL Member

I cant even uninstall NSW 2003. I even tried the extremely complex instruction on Norton website, which involve multiple manual registry edits. Altho a previous Norton fan, I'll never use Norton again. think the problem relates to incompatibilty with XP

5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I can't stand Norton, it used to take forever to load, and I never got it uninstalled cleanly either. I finally got Fix-It Utilities that comes with anti-virus powered by trend micro

6. FULLERL

FULLERL Member

Thanx for info.

I did a little searching. It seems they havnt updated that program for Windows XP. And apparently no recent version.

7. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

If you want to get rid of Norton 2003 junk, look around for a program called "Norton_remover". The normal uninstaller shouldn't be messing up your registry like that though. Norton ussualy messes with your registry by leaving a ton of junk in it after uninstalling it. IMO.

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If you are looking to remove NAV 2001,2002 or 2003 then get this utility from Symantec: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe . This will remove all the NAV entries for you. It only removes Antivirus. I do not know what NSW is.

I do not think it is a compatability problem. After installing NAV on more than 1000 computers with 98,ME,NT,2000,XP home and pro, And 2003. I have never run across your problem. With the exception of NAV 2004 and up, This program does not like 98 or ME. I have run across problems when installing NAV after Mcaffee has been on the system. Completely removing Mcaffee on those systems fixed the problem. McAfee does not fully remove itslf either and a spereate uninstaller is needed to rid of it. NAV and McAfee will not intall if the other is installed. Traces will be left behind from either program even though the install did not complete. Those traces are where the problem is comming from.

9. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Mr Del,
    You seem to know a lot about NAV and such. I thought I'd throw my other post by ya.

I go to www.atitech.com but can't download any software or even register my x700. Can someone check if you can get past ATI's home page so I can tell if it's my network or firewall or something?

I have no problems downloading from there. Do you have Microsoft .NET Framework installed?

Yup, tried that on the other two puters. Then I spent the last hour running the cat5 cable to my living room from the basement to try the one with the x700 actually installed on it. Same results. Other than the new Catalyst suite, I don't really need anything from ATI. Any other ideas on how to get it? Tried to google Catalyst and no matter where I go, I can't download it. Seems kinda strange, but the three cpu's were all just given Norton Internet Security 2005 cause it came with the mobo for the new cpu and I kinda liked it. Think that could be it?

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Even if you did not have the .NET framework the file should still download. The problem would come in when you try to install the Catalyst suite. If you are using XP SP2 you already have the needed .NET framework. XP SP1 and lower does not have the required .NET framework. ATI gives a link to D/L the Framework if needed. Your NIS should not be to blame unless you are unable to D/L from anywhere. There is also a drivers only version that does not require the .Net stuff. It is the same drivers just a different interface. I myself just got the drivers without the Catalyst interface. The system seems to run smoother with them. The Catalyst interface does use up a slight amount of memory as it is a TSR. I have tried both and yes I have the needed .Net framework, on SP2.

I do not understand why you can't rgister your card. I do not know the steps involved since I don't register anything. This could be a pop up blocker problem. Does the rgistration page even load up for you? Do you get an error at any time (if so, when)? Is anything being logged in your system log (found in event viewer) that may reflect this?

Back on the D/L issue. ATI does not use pop up windows to give you downloads. This means that if you have any pop up blockers installed then they are not getting in the way.

Hope at least some of this helps,
    -Del

11. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Del,

I don't have sp2. Not sure if I want it cause I had it on my old cpu and had problems that may or may not have been because of sp2. They started after I installed it.

As far as registering the card, the only reason that I wanted to do that is cause when I called ATI to find out why I couldn't resize my screen, they said I needed to register it to receive support. I got the info from them and said I would register. Still not being entirely necessary, I tried to register when I was unable to download so I could see if I could do anything from their site. No matter what I try to do, anything after ATITECH.com ends up with the white screen "page could not be displayed".

Logged in system log? Haven't checked, but the results from ATITECH.com are the same on three computers networked together in my house, so I was trying to find a common variable. These would be the NIS, the road runner modem in basement (which I reset), the lynksys router in basement (which I also reset). I enabled and disabled all of the security settings in NIS and no change. Tried that on all three cpu's.

Other wierd stat is that three days ago it worked, but I didn't know I needed the new version of the drivers as I had not yet hooked the new cpu to the big screen. Hooked it up, tried to get stuff from ATI, and now this. The other only difference in the last three days would be a live update on the 2 older cpu's for NIS. No live update was done on the new cpu though. Same results either way.
    Grasping at straws... or trying to find another cpu to get it from.

Thanks for the assistance,
    Joe

12. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Del,

Yet another interesting thought. I am at work now and I can get to www.ati.com just fine. Just don't have a cd burner to save the drivers and bring them home. On my cpu's at home, ati.com does not work. I get a msn search engine that says "cannot find ati.com". Then I type in www.atitech.com and their home page comes up. From there I can do nothing. Checked the blocked sights on my cpu's NIS list and www.ati.com is not in the list.

Thanks again,
    Joe

13. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I just went to the ATI site to see what is going on. Seems like they are the problem. The d/l will not automatcaly start for me either. See if these links work for you: This is with catalyst control pannel (requires .NET framework) http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-CCC-8-121-050322a-022141C-english.exe .

And this one is just the drivers with ATI control pannel (does not need .NET framework) http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-121-050322a-022141C.exe .

Hopefully one of those will work for you. They are downloads direct from ATI web page.

-Del

14. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Del,

Thanks for the help. I am at work right now but I will try the links in the morning and let you know. At work we are using 2000 Professional and it lets me in anywhere throughout the ATI site but still, no cd burner. Sucks. Could always bring a hard drive into work and download it from here. Lot more messing around though.

Joe

15. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Nope, no go. I'm at a loss.

16. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Just went back to Guru3D and today I was able to get the Catalyst v5.4. It worked on the P4 1.8 gig that I got from a friend. My third cpu which also did not work yesterday.

Funny that I just wiped out my old one to reistall via Drive Image made on the 2nd of May. No big deal, only 10 days ago, backed up a few things and away it goes. This will bring me back to before when I could actually get on ati.com and download the drivers. Seemed like a last resort, and then it worked on the other one. I went to Guru3D yesterday with no luck. On all three cpu's.
    Oh well, it's over now. Thanks for the help.

Joe

17. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

You can try Omegas drivers http://www.omegadrivers.net/ . I have no idea if they'll help or not, but they work for me. Just thought I'd toss the idea out there.

18. merlin112

merlin112 Member

I just might do that. My initial problem was that when I get to the section in display settings where I am supposed to be able to resize the screen, I only can change color, brightness, and saturation. The vertical and horizontal adjustments are simply not there. Even with the new Cataylst drivers, they are not there. I don't know if it's because I hooked up to my widescreen via component cables or not. Now all I can do is adjust the resolution to 640 x 680 to get the screen to fit my tv. Sucks cause the windows are huge and it cuts off the bottom.
    My other option is to try to hook it up using the s-video hook up but I don't particularly want to lose the image quality. Gotta love wasting all this time on a 170 dollar video card that should have the functionality that it says it does.

19. FULLERL

FULLERL Member

RE unsuccessfuil uninstall of Norton System Works 2003.
    Norton Uninstall did not, nor any of Norton’s instructions.
    Things only became worse.

Spent 3 days unsuccessfully trying to remove Nortons SytemWorks 2003 from PC.
    Altho it seemed to be removed, evertime I checked, still got message that a component was active.
    I checked everything, without locating whatever freaking component was active.
    I ran registry cleaners, I tried 3rd party uninstallers.

Then bcs PC shutdown was slow, decided to run Windows XP “repair”
    However repair didn’t get rid of it either.

Next, decided to start from scratch.
    Reinstall XP, do the activation smear again, etc.

Re-installed Windows XP, Microsoft Office, Anti Virus, Fire Wall.
    As I began setting up DSL internet, it downloaded updates & freaking virus popped up.

The anti virus application fixed it, but the sucker kept returning all day long.
    For awhile I continued re-installing my applications.
    Trying to restore the immense custiomizing I do to programs.
    Eventually gave up & restored May 5th Acronis True Image backup.
    I wasted 6 days mucking around with it.

At least for present, I will live with Norton.
    During all this horse pucky, may have mislaid some incoming e-mail.

Anyway as of now, the puking virus hasn’t popped up again.

Boy am I glad I maintain stuff I create on D drive & backed up to another external USB hard drive.
    Only have Windows & other applications on C drive.

For years past, I've been strong Norton Sytem Works advocate.
    You can bet ur bippy, I'll won't soon use Norton again.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

possibilty microsoft xp site is infected as ran into a virus when doing xp updates on customer's laptop yesterday