1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal DVD Audio players?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by poetprose, Mar 6, 2005.

1. poetprose

poetprose Member

Hello I am new to the forum, and new to researching the DVD Audio players, I hope I have posted in the proper forum here..

I recently was able to hear the quality of one of these players and it blew me away!!

I have a few questions however

1) Does anyone know if these Universal DVD audio players are available in Canada yet?

2) how much difference is there in sound and quality from these DVD audio disks and SACD? is it "discernable to the ear"?

Thx all for your feedback , btw if anyone has one of these players I would appreciate any info you would like to share with me

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

please read the forum rules...no multiposting!

1. DVD-Audio players are quite common on high end DVD Players, and have been around for a few years so my guess is yes they're available in Canada. I'd recommen buying online though, cause you'd probably get a better price

2. Some people swear DVD Audio is better than SACD, and vice versa. I personally like SACD. I think it sounds way better. It has an incredibly warm analog 2-inch tape sound to it. But the bottom line is both are very high quality and to the untrained ear you will be happy with either one.

3. poetprose

poetprose Member

oops sorry, I posted here and then saw that I may have posted here by mistake

ok so what exactly is the difference then between DVD audio disk verses SACD, I always thought dvd quality was the best

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

DVD-Audio and SACD are two entirely different formats. SACDs are a special kind of disk; they're not CDs or DVDs. The samplerate for SACD is VERY high. CD audio samples at 44.1k (44,100 samples per second), DVD-Audio is 96k, and SACD is 1.45 million samples per second. The quality for SACD is close to studio quality that players only give analog multi-channel outputs, so you can't copy the audio.

It appears now that DVD-Audio has taken over in popularity however, and I'm not sure what the price difference is between the two. The one nice thing about SACDs though is that they have 2 layers. One SACD layer, and one regular CD layer, so they can be played in a regular CD player. That way you only have to buy the album once.

5. poetprose

poetprose Member

1)CD audio samples at 44.1k (44,100 samples per second

2)DVD-Audio is 96k

3)SACD is 1.45 million samples per second.

wow I didn't know this, I would have thought that the DVD would be the best quality

but you can play SACDs as well as DVD audio's on those universal players correct?

Are the disks hard to find in stores?

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It is also important to note that not all SACDs have a CD layer (or are Hybrid-SACD/CDs).

7. poetprose

poetprose Member

>>>It is also important to note that not all SACDs have a CD layer (or are Hybrid-SACD/CDs).,<

ok so do you mean single layer disks vs/ dual layer disks?

Also....... perhaps you can help with this:

Our receiver is a Sony 6.1 , however the multi channel hook up only plays back in a 5.1 , so is there a point in purchasing a DVD audio /SACd player that plays in 6.1?

the back of our sony shows 6 rca input jacks for multi channel, the 6th jack being the sub woofer

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

So your saying that your new 6.1 SACD player only plays back through 5 of the 6 channels? It is true that SACD and DVD-Audio only support up to 5.1 channels but your SACD player should be able to proccess (create) a 6th (rear) channel. I'm absolutly sure thier should be some type of output setting (or mode) for it.

SACD info:
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/sacd

DVD-A info:
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-A#DVD-Audio

What is your model number of your Sony reciever and SACD player?
    Ced

9. poetprose

poetprose Member

ok our Sony receiver is a STR-DE597 6.1 its is only about a year old June /04

And we just purchased (today) a Sony DVPNS775V this has a 5.1 output, we pick it up in a few days.

However while shopping arround for these players we did notice that some of them were listing 6.1

We figure there is 2 ways to hook this up, one is digital, through a fibre optic line through the back of the receiver that is specifically labeled and for super audio cd- Or, through multi channel which is 5.1
    At the present time we are connected to our old DVd player using coaxil. We have the opt, of using optical as well for our 6.1

any suggestions as to the best way to hook this up?

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

??? Must do research ???

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if you want to use SACD you cannot use digital connections at all, either optical or coax. The quality for SACD is so high that the audio is only output through the analog multi-channel RCA outputs of the player.

12. poetprose

poetprose Member

>>>one is digital, through a fibre optic line through the back of the receiver that is specifically labeled and for super audio cd<<

Why does it say that it is for super audio on the back of the sony then? lol

sorry you lost me here

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

interesting...when I got my SACD player 2 years ago it only has multi channel analog outs, and according to the manual there were no digital outs. But my guess is in that time Sony has developed a copy protection they are comfortable with for transferring SACD audio through digital...makes me wish I had bought my player a few years later...I paid over $3000 for mine.

So I guess I was wrong, they now do accept digital...I will research this more though

14. poetprose

poetprose Member

wow $3000! thats alot.. we are not even close to that kind of money for our receiver or a SACd player, although our projector and screne we recently purchased is close to that price range..... We love our movies so we really do appreciate the big screne, it doesn't bother me that it is not like HD, the colors are better than our 48 sony - so we are happy with the purchase...so far Have not checked out the price of the bulbs yet though..

As for the Receiver, I'm probably not understanding/comprehending the manual properly, as we did not pay top of the line price for our receiver, and you would think the top of the line prices would offer much more ? when we go to pick up our player the sales guy is going to explain how we hook it up , he said to bring the receiver manual, and he will help us , and we can call when we get home if we have trouble too....

this is what the sony receiver manual says..

Tip: All the digital audio jacks are compatible with 32KHZ, 44.1KHZ, 48KHZ, 96 KHZ sampling frequencies

Note: The sound is not output when you play a Super Audio CD on the super Audio Cd on the super audio Cd player connected to the SA-Cd/Cd Optical IN Jack on this reciever. Connect to the analog input jacks SA-CD/CD IN jacks Refer to operating instructions supplied with with the super audio Cd players

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay, then that note and samplerate freq. inputs comfirms what I originally beleived. You have a optical in for SACD/CD because SACD players play regular CDs as well (as diabolos and I mentioned above) so they provide a digital connection just for playing regular audio CDs. For your SACD sound, you will need to connect from the analog multichannel RCA output to your receiver.

My SACD player cost me $3499 because it was the very first one made. The machine is huge (reminds me of the old dinosaur VHS decks...but looks much prettier).

also just wanted to add that you don't need to buy the top end/most expensive thing you can buy to get a good quality of audio and video performance. Most medium-range equipment is more than capable of doing the job quite adequately.

16. poetprose

poetprose Member

>>My SACD player cost me $3499 because it was the very first one made. The machine is huge (reminds me of the old dinosaur VHS decks...but looks much prettier). <<

Much like when we bought our first VHS cam corder.... we paid a thousand for it years ago, the thing was so heavy on your shoulder, however we don'r regret this purchase as we have recently (hubby) has taken all our VHS home movies, and trasnferred them to dvds for all the family members...

since you have purchased your SACD , have they made/many changes to the players since your purchase?

17. poetprose

poetprose Member

Here is the stats from the player we just purchased and have not picked up... Maybe you ccan tell us if it is a good player (I hope so) lol This will play DVD-A disks right?

Precision Cinema Progressive™ Technology 480P Output
    Super Audio CD Playback
    DVD-RW (Video Mode)/-R/DVD+RW/+R Playback
    JPEG/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/SA-CD Playback
    Precision Drive™ 3 System with Dynamic Tilt Compensation
    12-bit / 108MHz Video DAC
    Video Equalizer
    Multi-Disc Resume-40 Discs
    Custom Parental Control-40 Discs
    Remote Control w/Multi-Brand TV Control compatible with most major brands
    DVD/CD Text
    192 kHz 24 Bit Digital to Analog Converter
    Dolby® Digital and dts® Decoding Compatible
    Dolby® Digital and dts® Optical/Coaxial Output
    Dolby® Digital and dts® 5.1 Channel Output
    TV Virtual Surround - 4 Surround Modes
    Digital Video EQ
    Custom Picture Mode
    Title and Chapter Viewer
    Advanced SmoothScan™ and SmoothSlow modes
    Instant Replay and Instant Search
    Full 3-2 reverse conversion
    Quick Set-up

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No your sony DVD/SACD player doesn't support DVD-A.

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sounds like a nice player though. its a sony? whats the model no?

as far as I know nothing new has advanced at far as SACDs, other than they're alot cheaper and are common on high end DVD players.

20. poetprose

poetprose Member

Hi the model is Sony SA/CD DVD playerDVP-NS775V

geeez the young man i spoke with yesterday said that this player did play DVD-A's today it was an older man and he said No it doesnt play them... but he also said he never heard of a DVD-A disk lol

oh well hubby is hooking it up now I'll order a SACD off the future shop web page , as their store here only carries DVD-a's a large selection actually,(impressive) then I will test the sound quality of the SACD if i think it is a good sound then we will keep this one... if im not happy with the quality of SACDs /for the price then we can take this sony back... we have 30 days trial

and find a player that plays DVDs-a

we got this player for 179.00