1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Remote

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by ekim512, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ekim512

ekim512 Guest

has any one found a universal remote that has the capibality to use all the controls of hdtv? i have an insignia (best buy) hdtv and i cannot find one that can change input to component.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't have an HDTV yet, but I have a Harmony remote, and it works and does everything. When programming it on the computer, you enter model numbers, for all you equipment. It should handle what your equipment is capable of. If it's not in their data base, to change tv to component input, there's a way you can make it learn that function, from the original remote.

You can go to their site, signup, and play around with the programming, even though you don't have a remote yet. You can see if that feature is there, for your tv. Set it up, and save the settings. When and if you get a remote, you'll already have it programmed. You'll just have to hookup the usb cable and download the settings, to the remote.
    Their site is here:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?CRID=2078&PAGE=products/features/harmony&countryid=19&languageid=1
    You'll have to use Internet Explorer...........
    Good luck!

3. ekim512

ekim512 Guest

hey man thanks alot

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea the Harmony remotes are kick ass!

As far as Insignia though, alot of Insigina brand tvs are made by Orion (makers of such brands as Sylvania and Funi). Depending on the set it could also be made by LG.

Ask your salesman to tell you who makes your perticulare model, if they can even prononce the name of the manufacture. Some of this stuff is made by small chinese CE companies that get their parts from other companies that will sell them what they need at the lowest prices.

Ced

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@JVC and Diabolos...I've got to stop being so cheap and buy a Harmony remote. I just took a look at your link, JVC, and damn, some of those things are pretty pricy! Damn Denon remote just sucks.

@Diabolos...where do you shop that has salesmen capable of answering such a question LOL!

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ gerry1,

I work for Bestbuy... You knew that right?

Insignia is a Bestbuy only brand.

Ced