1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unknown device

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cparent, Sep 18, 2011.

1. cparent

cparent Member

Hi
    Recently I uninstalled some stuff off the system.
    Now when I reboot I keep getting "Found new hardware" "Windows needs to install driver for unknown device"
    Except I don't know what that device is, and I don't remember everything I uninstalled.
    How can I find out what the device is?
    Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does it show in device manager? what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard? have you tried system restore to before you uninstalled the stuff?

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

As ddp stated regarding device manager there'll be a yellow mark of some sort,Event viewer may also e show exactly what was removed & once you get it sorted install driver max it's free driver backup utility,once you've run it you can if need be reinstall one or more drivers,would also pay to start using an imaging software like easeus todo backup,again free for personal use

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. cparent

cparent Member

I went into the device manager and didn't see any yellow mark, but on another thread they talked about unhiding devices, I unhid the other devices and found the problem, turns out it was a driver for some software, I reinstalled the software and no more unknown driver.
    Thanks guys for your response
    I usually try to hunt down the info as far as I can go, and I usually can find the info or problem that I may have.
    Thanks again. Great site!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.