1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unknown problem with new video card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Noob4Life, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

I recently upgraded my crappy 32mb video card to a nVidia Geforce FX5700 256mb. Everything worked, or so I thought. I then tried to play Everquest, and it worked for about 10mins them my computer shut totally off. So i was told to update all nVidia drivers and windows SP1 updates. I did all that and it still shuts off. My card box says it needs atleast 250 watt power supply, and i have no clue what mine is. I checked all over/in my computer, and searched the web for 2 hours. I could not come up with the size. Its a Sony Vaio rx660 with a asus board. If anyone can tell me the size or even knows why it would be shutting off would be very grateful.

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Download a program calle dmotherboard monitor and let it record your temps while you play if it shuts down go to the app and view the contents to see if it is a temp issue (CPU or Case). Also call Sony and ask them for the PSU power rating. Check all connections and bios settings as well as try getting some compressed air to blow out the AGP slot as I heard dust can make that happen.

3. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

Downloaded the program and chose board asus p4b266, but my card is p4b266LM, and the other choice would have been p4b266LA. So I ran it with the first one and it started out at 190 F (which i don't know if it recorded it right cause case was neg 54 F). So i triend to go back and choose the LA board and it just came up with a error when i changed it...so i think the first one was right. I imagine 190 F is really high. Getting air tomarrow, will repost after that.

4. Oner

Yeah those settings are definately wrong. Try Asus Probe that will give you temps (I think it will record high and lows).

5. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

Yea i tried the Asus Probe, and its says i don't have a LM75 or LM78 controler or compatible chip, so it did not record anything but voltage.

6. forkman

forkman Member

The asus probe is an excelent little program,used it when i had problems with cooling.
    Have you checked that the fan on the graphics card is working(or the cpu fan) for those temperatures chances are one or more may not be working.

7. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

I found out that my power supply is 245w and I'm guessing that is why the power cuts out 10mins into playing the game. Im goin to buy a 300w or 350w and see what that does. Also found out that the CPU is running about 95 deg. F. Think this is average or just a tad high. Not to sure.

8. Oner

The PSU is prob. your the reason. If your gonna buy something try to get more power than you'll need as upgrades in the future are a definate. As for the CPU temp it sounds fine, just keep tabs of it when you are during/done playing to make sure.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Grab a proggie called Stability Tester (or something like that, version 6.0 [Gilgamesh] is good one, i can send it to you if you cant find it). There is an option to test the cooling capacity of your setup :)

245W is definitely a problem since the GFX line of cards (actually everything since their GF4Ti line) needs a significant amount of juice to be running. :)

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

One thing I will add; do [bold]not[/bold] cheap out on the power supply.

Go to a reputable computer shop, explain that you'll be using your PC for gaming, and you want a good solid power supply. Don't get the $30 one; this is a time to get off your wallet and spend a few extra bucks.

Why, you might ask? Well a cheap power supply can cause so many problems. The one thing I see time and time again is a cheap power supply deciding it's going to crap out, and may as well take the motherboard along with it. And sometimes the CPU as well. I've even seen one take out optical drives too.

11. Oner

100% Agree. I went out and bought me a Antec 550 True Power when I built my new PC. Just to be safe!!

12. drchips

drchips Active member

Agreed..

A high quality and over-rated PSU is going to be a good investment..

Something that is high quality is going to have far better regulation of the critical voltages that your PC depends on.

Something that is over-rated (power wise) is going to have loads of capacity available WHEN you need it, it will also not be working at anything like its limits when you push it - therefore less heat (efficiency changes as the load goes up), invariably less noise (fans are heat controlled, less heat, less need for fans to run fast, less noise).

Don't skimp on PSU....

Just my 2 cents worth (based on years of hardware maintainance)

Have Fun...

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I wanna buy a Princo PSU :)

Actually I've been looking at the line from Power PC & Cooling. They're quite a bit more $ than most but are very well spec'ed and look like they're built like a tank. Any experience/thoughts on this brand? here's the one I'm looking at:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/about/index_whatnew510.htm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "Common sense is a dying concept" - Me[/small]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  14. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

OK I did what I said I would and got a new power supply, 350W. Was installing it and i found that it did not fit, because sony uses power supplies that are not generic and are smaller....so I hooked it up to see if it solved my problem. Temp didn't go down, and this program I found called SiSoftware SANDRA still gave me an error of a failed or slowly spinning cpu fan. Along with a Vcore waring saying its to high, but i don't know anything about that. So i decided to put the old power supply back in and while doing this i noticed that the processor fan was not plugged in (and i know for a fact it has never been touched by me before). So plugged in it goes and everything is back to the way it was. I check the software and it still says slow or failed cpu fan, and gives rpm's of like 1300-1600 depending if i refesh it. Well I try Everquest at home on my dial-up. Let it run for 45mins (Stayed on!!!) so i thought i was allset. Got back to school on my LAN and about 10mins in on Everquest it shuts right off. Now I'm back to where i was and i know all fans are working. What to do...anyone? (sorry for the long thread)

15. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hi Noob4Life, If the reading 4 ur cpu fan rpm of 1300-1600 is correct that is very slow unless u have some monster fan!

I have a 75mm cpu fan (which is a lot bigger than the standard Athlon green fan) and that is still running at 2800-3000rpm, you should try another fan unless ur sure that is the max that fan runs at? Seems very slow!

Also do u have any speed control 4 the fan in operation? If ur fan is powered by a supply from ur mobo it may b regulating it incorrectly?
    Try using a power supply straight from ur power supply unit, u may need a converter lead but it will eliminate that possibilty.

The Vcore high voltage warning....this is a setting that can b modified if u r overclocking ur cpu, check ur BIOS settings 4 ur cpu and ensure they r set 2 the default settings.

As 4 the leads being a different size checkout this link u may find a converter of some kind that will overcome this.

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/CPUFANADAPT.htm?x=27&y=21
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]coasterboy

[bold]FREE SPEECH![/bold] It's deathly quiet without it!
    [bold]I may totally disagree with what you say but i will, "Defend to the death your right to say it"[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  16. Noob4Life

Noob4Life Member

So my best bet would be a new fan? Or should i go with a new case that comes with a bigger PSU? then just switch all my stuff over? I don't really want to special order a PSU (if i can even find one) so it will fit in the sony case. Tried a Antec 350w and it didn't fit. ****My whole idea on the problem was that the PSU isn't big enough to run the fan at the needed RPM's because of all the power the new 256mb video card takes up. So it overheats and the computer shuts right off**** This a possibility??

17. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hi Noob4Life, The fan only takes a very small amount of power 2 run it (5 Watts) its unlikely that it is not getting enough power but it is a possibilty.
    Your easiest solution is 2 try another fan first i have had fans that get worn and the little bearings/bushes they run on get dry and that slows them down, u could carefully give the fan a spray with something like WD40, but the fact that this only started happening after u fitted ur new g/card does point 2 a lack of power.

One way u could c if the fan has enough power would b 2 disconect something such as a cd rom/writer/floopy drive or anything else u have connected that is not essential just 2 free up some power and c if that makes the fan run quicker, if it does run quicker u know u need a bigger psu, or maybe permanantly remove some h/ware u don't really need if thats possible.

If none of this works and u cant find a suitable psu that fits then i guess ur only option is as u say transfer everything over 2 a new case with a bigger psu, i always use at least a 450W psu when building a pc and that has always been ok but with a big g/card a 500-550W is even better.

I have just read 1 of ur previous posts that says u only have a 245W psu i missed that b4 that has 2 b the prob, here is a rough guide 2 how much power things use it was taken from a pc mag and i always use it as a guide, if u total up all the power that things in ur system use u will get an idea just how much power u r using and how big a new psu 2 get, obviously this is only a guide and i don't know what u have in ur system?

CPU..Athlon XP2800+ 74.3 Watts

Fan..Heavy Duty CPU fAN 5 w

Motherboard..KT400 Type or similar 25W

Memory..1Gb PC3200 DDR-SDRAM 44W

Storage (hard drives)..200 Gb 7'200 rpm IDE drive 19.23W

CD ROM..16/40 DVD/ROM 21.9W

DVD/CD 8/4/24 CD/DVD/RW 23.8W

Floppy Disk drive..3.5W

Graphics card..128Mb Radeon 9700 Pro..30W

Sound card..Audigy2 16W

PCI Slot Modem..11W

USB Keyboard..2.5W

USB Mouse..0.5W

Total of 276.73Watts...And ur graphics card is twice as big so will take more power!

Hope it helps.