1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UnleashX and playing DvD movies

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by CDKobain, Feb 7, 2008.

1. CDKobain

CDKobain Member

Ok guys, how do I play DVDs on my newly modded Xbox thats running UnleashX? I can usually figure stuff out on my own.....But Im stumped here. I have successfully hot-swapped and soft-modded my console, its up and running but the results are lees than expected. First off, I used XboxHDM 1.9 And ENDURE to run the linux files and everything went well....I have successfully got UnleashX v.0.38.0515A running on the Xbox....Which Unleashx says is a Xbox v 1.1.... I know the first thing that comes to mind is to just download XBMC....but Im on Dial-up....Im poor. Any one wanna .rar it and email it to me?<-jk lOl,... but seriously I thought that installing UnleashX would allow me to play DVDs,Xbox back-ups, copy games to my Xbox HDD and play them, and run emulators....Am I wrong? Pretty much all I can see that Ive done is change my dash and the color of my LED to orange...but I found the option to change it back to green. I read up on this heavily and I followed a posted guide on "Instructables" mainly because I wanted to be able to dual boot and the files I had to download were not that big. Here is a link to that guide I used...Not the best but it worked....I did find a few missing steps and errors, and he also told you on step 5 I believe to actually power off your Xbox THEN plug back in the X's HDD, and Ive read that is a serious no-no. Good thing I read up, HUH? If any one can help me get somewhere with this new mod Id seriously appreciate it....Id like to play DVDs, my Xbox games off my HDD, burned games and my collection of roms if its possible. T.I.A.

2. CDKobain

CDKobain Member

Sorry about the double post but I didnt see an edit button....Anyway
    I downloaded DVD-X and set it as an App and I got the Xbox to play store bought DvDs, but it wont play any of my burns creasted with DVD shrink & IMGBurn....How can I get my Box to play my burns?
    Would I just be better off getting XBMC?

3. Marz13

Marz13 Guest

hhmmm well as long as your xbox is softmodded i don't see why it wouldn't play burned back ups that is a bit odd...what method did you use to softmod it? and yeah to play dvd's and dvd backups i would say XBMC is your best option....i hope you can figure it out if not ask and i will try my best to help!good luck!

4. DLyon4

DLyon4 Regular member

First the HDD in the xbox is not very large, so coping them to the HDD is only going to happen once maye twice. Now you can enable and format F:, but that only gains you a couple gig more, not to impressive if you are thinking of storing stuff on it. The real trick after softmodding is to get a big HDD and then replace it and then you have lots of room for lots of things. You are correct, after softmodding you should be able to play games that you created back-ups for :) and movies that are backed up too :). The trick is the type of DVD you have and the type of media used to creat the disk. There are threads upon threads about which dvd is compatble with which disk type. Search the game back up forums for that info.

5. corn

corn Guest

Yeah, should upgrade your HDD. But anyways, they should play. Don't burn past x4, and use decent media. I use Memorex (yeah I know, not the best) DVD-r's and I haven't had a bad burn yet..
    Anyways, most should work, if not experiment with different brands.