1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UnleashX Live Update Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by TKDKurisu, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

Lol, yeah, I know that much. After I figured that part out, I decided to remove the "Format Menu" list from the XBox menu in case someone wanted to see what it did, lol! Also, that address was for MSN messenger right? I assume it's *removed*, right?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Email address removed, Forum Rules are in my signature.

3. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

My bad, sorry! Ok, I have another question... Now that I'm upgraded, I'm having a problem. I got a game that was on sale the other day (Top Spin / NCAA Football 2005 2-pack). When the game registers it tells me "CDX" instead of the games name. When I try to start the game, it gives me the black / green screen of death with the flashing red light. First time it happened I almost had a heart attack. Anywho, I took out the disk and rebooted the system and it was fine, but it does that EVERY time I try to play that game. Why's it doing that?

4. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

Newer xbox games had a CDX menu instead of the typical Menu X. This is to launch trailors, demos, and music. My guess would be that this is where the cdx comes in. I have no idea why this would crash your xbox, however. After some research, I think this could be a path issue. I will keep reading and post a resolution shortly. In the meantime your xbox is fine. This has to do with the xbox not playing nice with this particular game.

EDIT What error code are you getting when it crashes?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

The error code is 21. Also, I added you to messenger but I haven't seen you online since. Perhaps I entered the wrong address? I can't get a specific one on this forum so...

6. creaky

TKDKurisu - i'd already clarified re email addresses. You'll just have to wait until slvrblt posts back here.

7. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

You added the right address. I am currently out of town and have been posting via PDA. The Messenger has been acting up the past few days. You can send emails and once I get the program up and running again I will be available to IM. The problem you are experiencing appears to occur because the game is attempting to connect to XBOX Live. Obviously, this fails and results in error 21 because the system can't find the location it wants. There is a way to fix this using nkpatcher and prevent the system from attempting to connect. I am trying to nail down the exact process for this. The UnleashX dashboard improvements have made the use of nkpatcher less common, so I want to get confirmation before posting instructions. I will get this info and post later today.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  8. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

Ok, thanks a ton!

9. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

Ok so... I added XBMC as an application within UnleashX and I LOVE IT, it's great. How can I go about making that my main dashboard when I boot? As before, I'm a bit too skiddish to just try to do it without knowing 100% that it'll work...

10. insnsprtn

insnsprtn Member

Sorry to interrupt this long thread, but i had a question on this subject...you were talking about renaming evoxdash.xbe when you ftp'd the files to the xbox...i dont have a file named that..just default.xbe. Is it the same concept or am i looking at the wrong thing?

11. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

It's the same concept. .xbe is your dashboard. It just so happens that the auto-installer I used named it EvoX even though it was actually UnleashX.

12. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

Alter the <home> tag in xboxmediacenter.xml to c:/xbmc.

Place the default.xbe and xboxmediacenter.xml in c:.

Obviously, rename default.xbe to the name used for unleashx and call unleashx something else.

Now reboot and you should be in business.

13. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

Actually the path you change it to in the .xml document should match the dashboard file name. c:/evoxdash.xbe. I apologize for the confusion. Today was a really long day. There are some that say it is unnecessary to edit the tag, but this is the way I have always done this, so it is probably best to go with what works.

14. insnsprtn

insnsprtn Member

Thanks alot..usually can figure this stuff out on my own but college is expensive and i dont have the money for another xbox if i mess up this one!!

15. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

I agree. I'm taking a break from college right now. Just one bit of advice: ALWAYS keep a backup of your xbox. I had an install fail once and it wouldnt boot! Luckily it still let me boot games so i loaded a fake save and an autoinstaller to fix it.

16. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

Thanks slvr! I'll try it out and let you know the results. also, what about all the folders and such with xbmc... Leave them where they are on E:/ in Apps?

17. TKDKurisu

TKDKurisu Member

Uhm.... I don't have an .xml for XBMC... Here's what I have in the main folder...
    [​IMG]
    So, how do I do this? Sorry for all the questions.

18. unedited

unedited Member

19. creaky

20. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

The instructions above were for the older versions, sorry. The new builds are as follows:

Thanks to the XBMC Wiki:

Team XBMC recently developed their own Shortcut tool. It comes in 2 “flavors”:

OpenXDK (source and pre-compiled binary available in SVN)
    MS XDK (only source available in SVN)
    Download link to pre-compiled OpenXDK: Shortcut XBE.

Both versions work in the same manner:

Find out the filename of your current dashboard (i.e C:\evoxdash.xbe for the Evox dashboard): That is the dashboard your Xbox is booting.

Rename your current dashboard to an alternate bootable name. This will be used as a fallback if execution of the new shortcut fails. Consult the table below, or www.xbox-scene.com for details on your dash.

Download the XBMC Shortcut XBE from the link above and rename it to whatever the dash was named (usually evoxdash.xbe)

Upload the renamed Shortcut XBE (i.e. evoxdash.xbe) to where the old dash was (Usually the root of the C: drive). The Shortcut XBE is now effectively your dashboard(!)

Install XBMC as a regular application to somewhere on E: or F: (for example, E:\Apps\XBMC) (Instructions on how to install XBMC can be found under Installing XBMC as an Application)

Create a text file on your computer with the same name as your renamed Shortcut XBE, except with the extension .cfg instead of .xbe (i.e. evoxdash.cfg) and put the path to the installed XBMC\default.xbe inside it (eg. E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)

Upload the text file you just created to the same place you uploaded ShortcutXBE to in step 4. You should now have two files in your boot dash location. If your previous dashboard was Evox, These files will be named evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. The .xbe is the shortcut XBE you just uploaded, the .cfg is the text file containing a path to XBMCs default.xbe

Reboot

Congratulations, now you are all set and don't need to alter the shortcut again, unless you change location of XBMC's default.xbe.

Please note that step 2 is optional. The actual fallback order is BIOS dependant. If you don't know what BIOS you are running, you're at risk. First try the xbe given by the .cfg file. Otherwise, the following filenames can be tried. But, the safest backup is to create a bootable rescue disc with a ftp enabled dashboard on it. See xbox-scene.com for details.
    C:\avalaunch.xbe
    C:\unleashx.xbe
    C:\xbmc.xbe
    C:\evoxdash.xbe
    C:\xboxdash.xbe
    C:\default.xbe
    C:\msdash.xbe

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008