1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlimited Budget for Super Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by hasamoder, Aug 15, 2009.

1. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

Hi guys

For a long time I've been wanting to get a computer with the absolute best. Yesterday I got a pay rise and I've managed over 4 or 5 years or something like that to save up to $13,450 AU no kidding. That's a lot of cash. So I was wondering what is the best I could get with $15,000. I would like this computer to also last me at worst 5 years. Now that's a very long time, I know but I not expecting it to run all the best programs after 2 years or so. I am willing to wait if something new is coming out as well.

Please help decide what components to get

Cheers Hasamoder

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

Forgot to say that I am willing to go over $15,000 but it will take me time to save up and I would rather not wait much longer. I'm still a bit of $15,000 and by the way this is Aussie dollar not the same as the us dollar.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No offense, but your post is worded in such a way that it could be construed as showing off. To spec you a PC we really need to know what you want to do with it. In all honesty, there's not very often any point spending that much as $6000-$7000 AU should get you about the best you can buy. You also may wish to consider waiting a month or so as new technology is in the pipeline.

4. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

Really that seams pretty reasonable for a good computer I thought It would be much much more. I haven't had much time for research(Busy week). Any way I am a huge gamer and I do a lot of video encoding. As well as a lot of downloading (big HDD or SSD). I'm looking for the absolute best not to show off but because I'm a computer enthusiast that's loved computers since the days of 1's and 0's. Also I can't stand having my main PC as a celeron(That's right the best PC I have at home is a celeron at work I have a good dual-core though).

5. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

Forgot to add what's the new technology.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

New Core i7 and i5 CPUs for mainstream (but you'll probably want the top end extreme edition anyway, though the price of it should drop when these arrive) and the DirectX11 graphics generation.

7. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

OK thanks I'll look in to it! Think I will go with core i7 (core i5 less powerful I believe). See ya

8. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Huh an i5? never heard of it. If i7 is probably more powerful as I think as it seems like a higher model or something then then wouldn't want to make it slower? Or is that just for the new socket? Whats the advantage of this over the i7? disadvantage? Thanks.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

i5 is the mainstream version of i7.

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

Look at getting the intel x25-m ssd hard drives as your boot drive, look it up on youtube. The performance on those drives is tremendous. I was thinking about getting a wd raptor, but instead will be getting the intel ssd as my next drive due to the raptors questionable longevity problems that I have read about.
    I think for 2000.00 or less you can get a decent game machine, even with the intel ssd and I7 cpu. That's if you build it yourself.

You need to research all the latest SSD hard drives, that's where the performance is. Programs load instantly and also games will load quicker. The intel ssd in particular has a new controller that increases it's read/write capability finally beating the conventional hard drives.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are no problems with the longevity of the raptors, never have been outside the 150GB drives which are old now. If you're getting an X25-M remember to get the second generation drives as they perform much better.
    Remember this is australian dollars, which often carries a double+ price premium on US dollars.

12. EricCarr

EricCarr Regular member

This is from a Australia place I get parts called MSY. msy.com.au.

Motherboard: ASUS Deluxe-OC-Palm $519
    DDR3 RAM 6GB Kit DDR3 2000 G.Skill-Trident $219
    HDD: W.D. SATA HDD 2TB $309
    Video Card: 1792MB GTX 295 ASUS $722
    CPU: Core i7 -950 $769
    Blue Ray Drive LG SATA Blu-Ray Writer $235
    Blue Ray Drive LG SATA Blu-Ray Writer $235 Get two.
    Tower case: Lian-Li Full PC-P80B $469
    PSU: Coolermaster RealPower Pro UCP1100W EPS $335
    Monitir 26” ASUS VK266H $599
    Mouse Keyboard: Logitech MX5500 DiNovo Media $189
    TV Card: Compro VideoMate Vista E900F $209
    OEM MS 64 bit Vista Ultimate $249
    1 yr. Parts and Labor warranty (plus building) $80
    -------------------------------------------------------

All this for the most expensive price of..... $5381

If you want to spend 15,000 just buy 3 of them!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Motherboard: 3/10 - reasons: Asus build quality [minus 3], needlessly expensive [minus 2], questionable heatsink stability [minus 1], poor I/O design [minus 1]
    RAM: 9/10 - reasons: G-Skill not 100% compatible [minus 1]
    HDD: 10/10
    CPU: 9/10 - reasons: Difficult to find the best value i7
    Drives: 10/10, but you really only need one unless you're cloning blurays to recordable media (why not just rip them to the HDD instead?)
    Case: 7/10 - reasons: price [minus 3]
    PSU: 1/10 - reasons: coolermaster PSU [minus 3], noise [minus 2], price [minus 2], absurdly overpowered for requirements [minus 2]
    Monitor: 5/10 - reasons: Asus build quality [minus 1], basic TN image quality [minus 4]
    Graphics: 6/10 - reasons: Inconsistant performance at best [minus 4]

14. gera229

gera229 Regular member

What does that mean?

and "RAM: 9/10 - reasons: G-Skill not 100% compatible [minus 1] "

Huh what do you mean? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  15. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

Well I like the idea of a 2T HDD but what I want to do is have windows on a 512G SSD (Sure to Bring up the Cost) to make the boot time quicker and have 2x 2T HDD if the motherboard supports 3 Drives.
    Got to be kidding Vista, I'll get windows 7 Ultimate Edition. Also 12G DDR-Ram would be welcome. But a part from that it sounds good. Anyone have any ideas how I could get any better performance.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't buy Windows 7 yet, but buying Vista means you get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released.
    A 512GB SSD is a bad idea. Maybe RAID some 160GB Intel X25s together though (they're much better than any other SSDs on the market)

17. EricCarr

EricCarr Regular member

I don't use Vista either. I still use XP right now. You can get an upgrade from Vista when Windows 7 is released.

I would suggest a smaller HDD to put your windows on and make the 2TB drive in a enclosure for media stuff.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't put in an enclosure for the sake of it as that massively reduces performance (and often increases noise!)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  19. hasamoder

hasamoder Regular member

I've chosen after many hours of surfing the net of getting this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tesla_Personal_Supercomputer ). It's the Nvidia Tesla Personal Supercomputer. It's $12,000 AUD and it's perfect. Here's more info:The Tesla Personal Supercomputer is a desktop computer that is backed by Nvidia and built by Dell, Lenovo and other companies. It is meant to be a demonstration of the capabilities of Nvidia's Tesla GPGPU brand; it utilizes NVIDIA's CUDA parallel computing architecture and powered by up to 960 parallel processing cores, which allows it to achieve a performance up to 250 times faster than standard PCs, according to Nvidia. It's coming out on the market late 2009 or early 2010. Picture: http://blog.loaz.com/media/blogs/timwang/first-personal-supercomputer-TESLA-NVIDIA.jpg
    What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it's a powerful rendering machine, but it's not going to be able to play any games. Since you haven't stated what you want to use the PC for, I don't know if that's what you want or not.