1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlock HD Via USB.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by element29, Aug 13, 2007.

1. element29

element29 Regular member

Yeah, I'm on a laptop, and the only way I can unlock this HD that I used in my xbox last year is through USB. Is there any program or way to do it? I couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks in advance.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

That would be a 'No' champ! Sorry!

3. element29

element29 Regular member

Got one more question for ya buddy, I tried locking a HD that wasnt compatible with my xbox. The HD doesnt work in the Xbox, and its coming up in Device Manager on my laptop, but not in My Computer or anything.
    Will that HD unlock just like my Xbox one that did work? or is it a paperweight?

4. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

What do you mean by wasnt compatible? The only way it wont work is if your xbox is softmodded and the hdd does not support locking.

5. element29

element29 Regular member

The harddrive didnt support locking. Like when I used the bootable CD that locks harddrive on my PC. It didnt work, and the hd doesn't work in my pc or my xbox now. but its still recognizable under Device Manager.

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Xbox HDD compatibility issues are a MYTH! They all work!

You obviously locked it wrong, assuming you still have the eeprom, just unlock it again using Xboxhdm.

Use my HDD Upgrade Tutorial to show you how to use, build and lock\unlock a HDD with Xboxhdm.

;)

7. element29

element29 Regular member

The HD just plain didnt work in my Xbox. hehe. I need a way to unlock it Via Pc. I've tried various downloadable apps, but they all ask me for the HD password. Well I do not know any passwords for it.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'll say it again, ALL HDDs work!

To lock it, you must first of had the eeprom. Use that eeprom again to UNlock it via xboxhdm!

9. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

I have to disagree with you chunckhead. If you have a softmodded xbox with a retail bios. Your hdd has to be locked for it to boot. All hard drives do not support the locking feature thus you cannot use it in your xbox. But as for what he is saying. The hdd is locked and he cant get it unlocked. You dont have any friends or family with a desktop? If so download Xboxhdm 1.9 read the "read-me" file, gather up your eeprom you locked the drive with and unlock it.

10. element29

element29 Regular member

I can do what Sp7ke said, but whats this about eeprom?

11. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

If you dont know what a eeprom is then thats your problem my friend.
    Every xbox has its own unique eeprom. Do you have a hdd that works in the xbox right now? If you answered no, and you have some general knowledge/soldering skills you can build a eeprom reader to read the eeprom off the xbox's mainboard. I can give you tutorial on how to build the eeprom reader and do the whole proccess if you are interested just tell me. Otherwise unless you have a hdd that will work and your xbox does boot i can tell you how to get the eeprom that way. but if not your other alternative is stated above.

12. element29

element29 Regular member

Does the eeprom contain the HD's password? I just don't see why I need to do anything physical like that when the HD was changed from PC working, to Xbox working by entering a bootable cd and writing files onto it.

heh Confusing. I just want to get my 250Gb Harddrive back the way it was. When I could put my files on it through computer :)

Sorry if i'm making it harder that it really is.

13. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Ok put the hard-drive in the xbox and boot it up. Tell me what error code you get. It will list in the top left.
    Do that and report back. Im kindve confused because i dont think you know whether its locked or unlocked. And then we can work from there.

14. element29

element29 Regular member

It says 13.

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Error 13 is locked. It also means that it has corrupt dash files!

How did you get it to work in the Xbox in the first place, you had to lock it with the eeprom!

@ sp7ke

HDDs do not have special powers, they all have to observe the same rules. People who claim they can't lock or unlock their HDDs are inexperienced and don't know how to do it!

I'll give you an example: The Xbox HDD compatibility list shows which drives people have had success with...

Here's a quick search on their database for the Seagate ST3200822A 200Gb drive.

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_modelnum=ST3200822A

Can you explain to me why some people say they have no issues locking the drive, whereas others say it can't be locked!

You can't have it both ways, they either do or don't!

Here's another one, Maxtor 6Y160P0 160Gb

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&sort=modelnum&v_modelnum=6Y160P0

Why can 17 people lock the drive, yet 11 can't? Did they just get bad drives???

ALL DRIVES ARE LOCKABLE!!!

16. element29

element29 Regular member

My Drive isn't on the compatible list. So the drives locked, is just has corrupt files? So if I just tossed the HD in a desktop, and downloaded a HDUNLOCKER, it would work again?

Is it really as simple as that?

17. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

I guess it would be worth a try but not sure what the results would be. If you want to try another alternative you could try flashing the hdd with the same fw. I unlocked a seagate like that earlier.

18. element29

element29 Regular member

Same FW?

19. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Yea. The same meaning the same version fw. You can find it on the net somewhere surely. Can you boot to a game?
    Have you tryed any of the hotswap methods? I would try these first.

20. element29

element29 Regular member

Okay. Lol Me being new to this. Any only sucessfully locking 1 HD in my time. Could you fill me in on "hotswapping" and the other methods. Maybe some steps please.

P.S. Thanks for helping me through all this crap.