1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlock HD Via USB.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by element29, Aug 13, 2007.

1. element29

element29 Regular member

Ok, I looked up hotswaps. From what i've read, on an error 13, the hotswap method fixed the hd to work with the xbox. I don't want that. I want to HD back to PC Working Form. Like to be accessible from My Computer and trans files and stuff. Just like when i bought the external HD.

2. element29

element29 Regular member

Ok, This may help you, help me out.

The HD was never locked or working in my XBOX. I downloaded this bootable cd for my pc like last year, and I tried to lock it with the bootable cd.

The HD wasn't on the compatible list, and it gave me error 13 when I tried it in my XBOX.

So there should be no reason to get a password from my eeprom when the HD was locked in my PC.

Hrm. Im wondering if the CD could reverse the process and make the HD work in my pc again. Only thing is, i gotta go to my cousins, and rip his room apart to find the cd that i tossed aside after it didnt work. then put my HD in his desktop. Since im on a laptop.

3. deadlove

deadlove Guest

To throw a cat in amongst the pigeons.. error 13

This can be caused by a failing PHILIPS dvd drive with or without any hdd fitted at all. Check on llamma xbox forums from early 2006 as there were a spate of them. It took ages to track it down. It throws suspicion on the IDE controller which may be the ultimate root cause of this fault.. whether it's the dodgy philips drive that borks the controller or the other way about we never could decide.
    The other obvious thing to check is the drives jumper configuration.. again no hard and fast rules.. I have opened literally hundreds of xbox consoles and they seem almost random with jumpers either master/slave pair or cable select

As to drives locking or not.. some fujitsu drives refuse to lock.. they are made like that, and not every pc motherboard bios will support the feature either, notably dell e-machines in the p3 series. Sometimes a drive has been locked/unlocked more times than it's maximum permitted number.. Most manufacturers have software available to reset the count,(usually for a pretty price) It's done just like flashing a dvd drives firmware which has had the region set more than the allowed 5 times.

All that said.. whatever.. Unless the drive was locked to THE SPECIFIC EEPROM data from the xbox it will not boot and will give error6 if locked to the wrong eeprom, or error5 if unlocked.

4. element29

element29 Regular member

Its a Maxtor 200Gb. It wasn't locked in xbox. And What you said is probably right about the error 13. The xbox just purely doesn't recognize the HD, and assumes no HD is connected. I just need to get the HD back to a PC working state.

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Unless you have the "Phillips" error, I assure you that your HDD IS locked to your xbox, other wise as stated above, it will display an error 6\5.

To fix your HDD, run the Hotswap procedure, get it running again as an Xbox HDD and then we can easily get the eeprom to unlock it!

6. element29

element29 Regular member

Thats the only thing, I've tried to get it to work on the Xbox. But it won't because its not compatible.

7. element29

element29 Regular member

Hehe. I got the 200GB Maxtor unlocked and working without having to hotswap or anything xbox related.

Umm now i got this 40Gb ATA Seagate Barracuda laying around. It worked in xbox. But i restored my xbox back to orignal form.. hrrmm how can i get this HD unlocked. The way i used for the 200GB wont work for this 40GB cause it says WARNING: THIS DRIVE IS LOCKED BY ATA PASSWORD

which i have no clue about. lol its stored in the eeprom but i restored my xbox back to factory form. and i dont wanna re-softmod it again.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Well how did you fix the 200Gb?

9. element29

element29 Regular member

Stuck it in an old PC. Then Ran MHDD off this bootable iso i burnt to a cd. then typed unlock. then dispwd.

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

So basically what my tutorials said to do...

11. element29

element29 Regular member

The 40GB doesn't work that way though. It says that warning ata locked thing. And the two passwords, xboxscene and teamassembly dont work. and i cant access the eeprom. meh i'll just toss this hd. its small and not worth the trouble.

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

What happens if you place the 40Gb in the Xbox? Error screen?

13. element29

element29 Regular member

The 40 works great in the xbox. But i restored the xbox back to the original state, and put the stock hd in it.

14. element29

element29 Regular member

Also, the xbox has been taken apart way to many times, and 2 screws are stripped, and one doesnt even go in, the whole mount ripped through. So im not going to take apart the xbox again. Meh i'll just toss the 40gb.

Another quesiton, not related to this thread. My cousins xbox has a fried powersupply. So she gave it to me. Is there anything i can do with this xbox? I dont wanna hook up a standard PC PowerSupply incase it puts out too much voltage or amperage.

15. Cybertick

Cybertick Guest

Hi, i would try out xboxhdm with the first option buildt scratch...
    than type xboxhd and now choose the option wipe back or out fatx partition(i think option 5).This works for me but i had to unlock the hdd before.If your hdd is locked and you havn`t the eeprom or the original xbox where the hdd works before iĀ“think it`s nearly impossible to get it back to work(except the fw.update).
    Much luck

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Why are you tossing the 40Gb?

It's quite simple... if you can boot the drive, you can easily mod it. You don't even have to install the softmod, just get to the softmod screen. From there you can backup the eeprom and FTP in to get it!

With the eeprom safely in your possesion you can unlock the drive with XboxHDM!

17. spiderduc

spiderduc Member

i checked my hd on the compatibility list, says not lockable, and the chimp program wont lock it either

18. element29

element29 Regular member

The HD worked mint in th xbox. Still does. I just wondered if there was a lazy way to unlock it. heh, i dont want to wreck the screws, and mounts in the xbox more than i already have by opening it again. lol.

But its ok, someday i'll be ambitious enough to do it.