1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlock xbox hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by lonlonn, Oct 11, 2008.

1. lonlonn

lonlonn Member

How can i unlock my xbox hard drive to be able to add the hard drive to my pc and back to the xbox so i can add and remove moves and games

2. DrGanja

DrGanja Guest

if you have evolutionx on your xbox, go to system settings then unlock hd . but be sure to have a backup of your eeprom.bin in case of any bad things that happen .

3. axel09

axel09 Member

after you unlock it can you still use it to boot up your xbox and lock it back in settings again?

4. DrGanja

DrGanja Guest

as long as its chipped yes

5. axel09

axel09 Member

thanks for the info thats what I was looking for.
    I have used xboxhdm, and I need to know can I ftp a xbox to get a eeprom put it in with 6960 files make a disk for the xbox that has an old dash with new files, Then take the hard drive boot with the disk in a pc and unlock the stock drive with that disk to create the new image? do I need a code or numbers to unlock if so what app will give me those passcodes? thanks in advance

6. axel09

axel09 Member

or can I unlock a non chiped soft modded in settings then have it allready unlocked for when
    I bring it to the pc?

7. Who_U

Who_U Member

i was wondering, if you can unlock the hdd through the xbox system settings, i wanted to know that if i take another path for unlocking, and plug it back in again, will i still be able to lock it again? this is because i have recently uploaded some trainers to my xbox, now i cannot start up the xbox to get to the system settings.

so if i unlock it with the cableswap method, remove the files, and plug it back into the xbox, will it lock it again? does this happen automatically or do i have to do this manually? if so, how do i do this?

plz reply soon!!

8. whitore1

whitore1 Member

No, what you would do is unplug the cd drive and then turn the xbox on. When it boots up with the error code, you can unplug the IDE cable. Make sure you leave the xbox power on and the power supply attached to your hard drive. Then you can plug the IDE into the PC. Make sure to turn your PC off before you connect the hard drive's IDE cable. After you boot it, you should be good to go.

9. whitore1

whitore1 Member

If you have a mod chip, whether the drive is locked or not doesn't really matter. If it's softmodded, you can hotswap and it'll lock again automatically.

10. Who_U

Who_U Member

thanks very much whitore1, that really helps. now there is another couple of questions i need help with.

the first is do you know how to unlock an unmodded hdd that keeps rebooting through a computer? (what i mean is where you "start the xbox to the idle dashboard then swap the IDE cables." i cannot seem to do this because the xbox doesn't start properly and it restarts itself.

the second is, do you know how to unlock an xbox hdd through the PC at all? because, again, my modded xbox automatically restarts, except this one does not even reach the dash.

any help would be excellent..

Who_U

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. whitore1

whitore1 Member

You're asking about hotswapping now. The tutorials on this site can guide you through that, but you're essentially going to unlock with your xbox, and then hook your drive into your pc. To unlock the drive, unplug the cd drive of your xbox from the ide cable and turn the xbox on. It'll give you a code 12 error. After that, the hard drive is unlocked. Just unhook the ide cable and plug it into an ide port on your computer. Make sure you leave the xbox turned on and the power cord plugged into the hard drive. It should also work better if you plug the ide into the computer while the computer is off, then boot it. That way the BIOS will recognize the drive.

Also keep in mind that you won't be able to normally look at your xbox hard drive. It uses the format fatx, while we usually use NTFS or sometimes just FAT. To see your drive, you'll need to download xplorer360.

12. Who_U

Who_U Member

i will try hotswapping it soon. thanks again.

ps. does this mean that once i am done, i just start the xbox with the hdd in and it will lock it itself? do i have to go into the system settings, or does it do it during startup?

Ta

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  13. varnull

varnull Guest

Your xbox reboots instead of starting and staying on?? unless it's working in a stable manner there is no point continuing until that is resolved... what is the front led doing? how far through the boot sequence does it get before starting over??

now about hotswapping.. which you can only attempt with a working xbox or one which will show an error 12 and stay powered and stable.

As soon as the drive is powered down it will lock .. unless it's connected to the xbox ide cable when power is removed it may not lock to the xbox eeprom lock code.. but it will lock. I have tested this to exhaustion.. and the big culprits for locking to the wrong key are the western digital drives... at least they can be force unlocked afterwards if it does go wrong. If they are connected to the pc ide when power goes off they will attempt to lock to the pc key instead.. and as that isn't supported by some boards then fun ensues.. DO NOT reboot either the pc or the xbox unless the xbox hdd is safely connected to the xbox ide cable. There is a 10% chance of killing the drive in any case hotswapping.. don't cry if it happens.

follow the hotswap guides to the letter..

now a big warning...
    don't ever mess with the lock/unlock tools in xboxhdm unless you are very sure of what you are doing... and don't start mucking about with config magic.. I have seen more bricked consoles through that program than any other cause.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  14. Who_U

Who_U Member

hi guys, i think i may have done something wrong...

i have tried to hotswap, and got there ok, but when i finished doing what i wanted to do, i put the HDD on the disk drive. when i did this, i heard a sparking sound not unlike static electricity. now, when i start my xbox, it comes up with error 7. I also cannot start a hotswap. any ideas?

Ta

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  15. varnull

varnull Guest

told you to be careful.. one dead hdd or blown ide controller.. and with no eeprom backup either XD .... buy a chip.. another working xbox (about the same price) or follow this http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

though I doubt you will have much chance.. after being unable to follow a simple hotswap guide.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  16. Who_U

Who_U Member

i also have an old xbox, unmodded, that a friend gave me. can i rip that part to make my curent one work??

ta...