1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlocked Xbox Hard Drive In a Pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by navskin, Jun 28, 2007.

1. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi people i have got an old computer but it had no hd and i broke my xbox , so i took the hd out of it and unlocked it for use with a pc.
    but when i go to make partitions on it it will not make them they are there but it says unknown please help i can. o was trying to install linux i have tryed windows xp windows 98 and windows vista lol. i you havew any ideas can you let me know.

tthanks in advance

graham

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what file format does xbox use?

3. navskin

navskin Regular member

i have had a look around and i am not sure but i think it somthing called XBE.

4. ddp

when you tried to delete the partition using win98, did you try just the partition option or the non-dos option

5. navskin

navskin Regular member

i havent tryed that yet so i will try and get back to you.

6. ddp

delete the non-dos partition option, i think #5.

7. navskin

navskin Regular member

i have done that i there were 1 there that was ntfs i have deleted that so i think i should use active kill disk and format the unalacated speace then i will try to install an os.

8. navskin

navskin Regular member

i have try that and it did not work so while i was using active kill disk i found some bad sector on the hdd dose anyone know how to get rid of them.

9. OzMick

OzMick Guest

In Windows XP at least, if you have the hard drive connected to a PC that works, under your Administration Tools, go Computer Management -> System Tools -> Storage -> Disk Management. You should be able to select any partition on the xbox hard drive and manipulate it from there.

Otherwise, get a Linux live CD and play around with fdisk. I'll leave it to google for you to find out how to use it. With the live CD you won't need to have the drive installed in a different PC. You don't need to install Linux either! Just use fdisk to configure partitions. you'll probably need to start it as: fdisk /dev/hda

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

i never though about the windows xp way of doing it. i have tryed to use the ubuntu live cd to do didnt work. i have tryed to use win98 fdisk and did not work. i will try the windows xp way and get back to you.