1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bryank, May 11, 2004.

1. bryank

bryank Member

OK when i start SmartRipper the "unlock drive" window pops up.
    In the window it says:

ASPI-Adapter available
    try to unlock drive...
    done
    test file access...

VIDEO_TS.BUP->Win_IO readable
    VIDEO_TS.IFO->Win_IO readable
    and so on...
    VTS_02.BUP->Win_IO readable
    VTS_02.IFO->Win_IO readable
    VTS_02.VOB->Win_IO locked!
    done

Then a warning-message pops up:

Sone files are still locked!
    Try to unlock with a player.

Can anyone help here? Thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try playing the movie with your media player, pause it and then open Smartripper. It does this to me quite often and playing the movie with PowerDVD seems to do the trick every time

3. bryank

bryank Member

Thanks. That did the trick. Of course, now that the movie is downloaded to my hard drive, Smart(sic)ripper is non-reponsive when i attempt to click on the "ok" button to finish. sigh. it said the download was successful yet now i can't move forward to burn it to disc.

4. woof811

woof811 Regular member

try using dvd decrypter matey , you can get it from this site and its free .
    iff you just want the movie though try using dvd shrink in reauthor mode .
    but iff your having trouble with smartripper not being able to crack the encryption you will have to use dvd decrypter first .
    let us know how you get on .

5. bryank

bryank Member

Thanks for the response. I just tried dvd decrypter, but after loading the program it states that there is "no devices detected" under the "source" heading. Any ideas?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bryank,

It sounds like a media problem either -

1. I suggest a firmware upgrade to recoginise more media.

or the best -

2. Upgrading your DVD media -

Memorex is a good example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pop’s up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete

7. bryank

bryank Member

Thanks pete for the info. I just tried loading 15 different Maxell dvd-r's and none worked/made a difference. I have no problem buying higher grade discs, but do you think 15 maxells not working at almost $2 each is reasonable? I'm wondering if my software is bogus. I bought the smartripper/ dvd decrypter suite online and downloaded it. I had aspi manager issues and finally got that straightened out. Then i was able to download my dvd movie with mixed results (see above earlier posting). Now when I go into Smartripper and follow the "three easy steps to rip", it still states that the download was successful yet i can't move forward because the "ok" button is nonresponsive. Thus, I tried to use the DVD decrypter and i'm getting the "no devices found" message as soon as the decrypter software is opened. Ugh. I've been out of the computing world for a little bit, but returned this week, bought an expensive laptop and now have had nothing but hassels. Sigh. Anyway, i appreciate your help because the ripping software i downloaded has essentially no help features or guidance whatsoever.

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

In DVD Decrypter go to Tools > Settings... > I/O Tab and try changing your Interface.

Just a guess but I think that if it says "no devices found" it may be trying to use the wrong Interface.

If that doesn't work, here is another guess.
    Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
    Under DVD/CD ROM drives, Right click on your Burner and Uninstall.
    Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Right click on the IDE channel your burner was on and Uninstall.

Reboot your computer and Windows will reinstall those devices.

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I think you need to relax more bryank, you're just way too tense. This DVD backup stuff just isn't all that hard and I've heard that there is a show on TV that helps explain it in a very simplistic manner.

Come-on with me, lets go into the living room and see if we can't catch it, what do you say, do you have a few minutes to watch some tube with me ? You can, Kool - -

Ok, let’s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will come on the air -
    - CLICK -
    ”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

[bold]Ooooohh Boy, Ooohh Boy, The ScubaPete’s so happy I could spit fish ![/bold]

Big fat finny fish !

And what’s soo great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

[bold]FREE STUFF that’s what, FREE STUFF ![/bold]

I know I run behind the times but this needs Shouting Out !

The new DVD Shrink version 3.1.7 really started it all !

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Shrink Guide - you might want to look at this sometime -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

Yea I know, it’s been out for a while, like me, I’ve been out for a while but I just found out how truly kool the new DVD Shrink was -

We now we can go from Soup to Nuts, with just 2 programs that we have on our PC’s already and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

[bold]DID you know - that after we get setup, there are only 3 clicks to go from start to finish ? How good is that ?[/bold]

First, you should, as many of you do already, create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Decrypter will work on your movie. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/Pirates of the Caribbean.

Now fire up DVD Decrypter - and under “Mode”, select “ISO” then “Write” - under “Source” you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your “Destination” as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says “verify” is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors). OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter all by itself.
    Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive (If you have two drives). As for your DVD media, after all my efforts it had better be Ritek G04, Verbatim or any media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well be the cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy cheap stuff in - ) If you don’t know what I’m talking about - you better go back to reading these forum threads and seeing all the crappy media complaints - If you don’t know what I’m talking about you better start reading some forum threads to see all the media problems ppl have.

Now go into DVD Shrink, click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as “Custom” and set the size as “4360MB” - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then, under the “File I/O” tab [bold]un-tick[/bold] “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

Now let’s burn a DVD. Click “Open Disk” and analyze your DVD in the usual manner, if you wish, do your editing (or re-Authoring) and do your custom compressing or, if you want a total backup, just let the “Automatic” settings alone. [bold]THEN[/bold] when time comes, select “Backup”. Take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, [bold]IMPORTANT, [/bold] tick the “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”, That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image right to your folder, then it starts DVD Decrypter to also burn your ISO files to your waiting disc. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?

Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done - “Pissshaaa,” you say. “Naaah.” Says I. “Tis the most honest truth !” I added. :D) “Really and truly !” I stated.

“OK, Ok, What now.” Says you. (OOOhh, Pooohh, I gotta stop this “says you, says me,) It’s wearing me fingers out) - - (Switching to regular typing mode - - clink, pop, -) - Done -

OK, time to move on (switching to the moving on mode - click, %@# rattle - snap, - #%@-Ouuuch, S@it, that hurt -, OK, I got it -CRUnch&#$ ) - - Moving on -

And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working cause you don’t want me a-smackin your knuckles with my Nun’s ruler do ya ? Yea, I thought not. - Screwin’ up the burn this late in the game would absolutely tick old ScubaPete off, causing me to choke on my fine finny fish dinner -

Now tell me, - - - Wasn’t that finer than frog hair ? Slicker than a southern slimy slithery sloth ? Yep, ya see there, I thought you’d say that -

Truly fine, that backup was - - “Hark, I heard a Backup Beep” - Aaauuugh, the officers in the white coats and armed with the big nets and straight jackets are here - a-backing up to my front door - nice talkin with you, this old ScubaPete just remembered he has to be somewhere, anywhere (looking for the backdoor) - -

Enjoy youse selves and your backed up DVD’s - I’ll be a-seeeein’ ya round the ‘ole Chuck wagon -

Now where are my quarters, and Where’s ol’ Paint, me trusty Horsie - - -
    Gotta go, gotta go - (jamming quarters in ole Paint’s neck)
    Get’em up Gurttie, gotta go, click, clump,
    (feedin’ in more quarters, maybe Paint’ll go faster - )
    Clippity, clippity, clippity clop -
    an we’re off - Seeeeeeeee yaa - -

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

yipeee I just love the uncle scubapete show.(hands out the popcorn)

the one thing that caught my eye that you said is,
    you should try to get your money back because both of those programs are free.
    good luck
    jim

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jimbo, I saw that but saying something is like rubbing salt in a deep wound - I'm sure by now he alredy knows -

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well I didnt mean to do that,I just thought maybe he could get his money back,since he paid for something thats free(sounds like fraud to me)
    I guess im dreaming,I apologize bryank,that was not my intention.

13. bryank

bryank Member

Thanks for the reminders fellas. I've mellowed and remembered that this is not life or death. I've been working like mad and haven't had a chance to dive back into this, but alas, today is the day. I've started by following your directions pete and I've run into a small roadblock - after opening dvd decrypter and , I'm showing "no devices detected" under my destination heading. Thus it is not allowing me to choose my burner as an option (I don't have two seperate drives if this makes a difference). Thoughts? Thanks again for the perspective reminder.

14. michigan

michigan Guest

jim_dandy,

Pass the popcorn, please

15. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

You might try uninstalling the burner in Device Mgr and then re-booting and let Windows recog. it again. Then try DVDDecrypter again.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well bryank, that leaves you 2 options - the first, go to "device Manager" and uninstall your drives, let your PC reinstall them upon boot up.
    The second, uninstall DVD Decrypter and reboot (to insure it's "Flushed out") then reinstall and reboot to insure it's "settled in".

OR, do both :p)

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  17. bryank

bryank Member

Thanks Pete. Uninstalling DVD Decrypter did the trick. Well, I made it through most of the process but upon attempting to burn the cd in Decrypter I receive the following error message:

deviceIo control failed
    unable to lock volume
    for exclusive access
    reason:unknown

ideas? thanks, it appears i'm almost there...

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Any packet writing apps installed such as InCD or Drag to Disc?

19. bryank

bryank Member

well, i used a slower writing speed and that seemed to do the trick. the burned cd appeared to turn out well at first glance, but the movie freezes up about half way through.

20. bryank

bryank Member

hmmmm. now my computer won't play any dvd's at all. it simply states that i need to lower my resolution or color yet all my movies played previously at the same resolution / color levels. can anyone help? thx