1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking iphone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by Nrth16, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

So I really want to get an iphone but I am having trouble understanding this unlocking thing. So I have been searching on ebay 1. do not understand how all these people have multiple iphones for sale. I thought you could not buy a Iphone without a plan?

2. what does unblocked mean? you dont have to take the phone apart, just reformat it???

3. If I were to get the lowest plan that has a sim card would the phone work or would I have to get one of the higher plans?

4. I guess I really want to get an I phone but I was under the impression that you have to buy it with a plan and second do not understand what the unlocking means. I understand that you can use another companies sim card but what type of plan do you have to buy can it be a $40 plan or does it have to be something else.

How do these people get all these iphones?

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

1. The old iPhones did not require a plan for you to buy them. So you could have multiple devices.
    2. Unlocking is allowing the iPhone to work with other characters such as T-Mobile and other GSM carriers. This can be done by software, so it is not required to be opened.
    3. You can get the lowest plan you want because you do not need the data plan.
    4. Any plan can work, so you can get the $40 plans if you want.

So the people get these phones because they used to be for sale without contract, but the new iPhone 3G's need contracts.

Hopefully I have answered all your questions

3. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

there are people on ebay that are selling the new 3g's and have like 6 of them its crazy. I would like to find an iphone but not willint to pay 700 for a new phone. I would like to keep in touch with you if that is possible if I do get one is that ok.

So if I have verison I can get the lowest plan but the service has to have a sim card. so sprint would not work correct. tmobile does not work in my state

4. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Yes, the service has to have a sim card. So I would recommend you to get the old iPhone(edge) with AT&T and get the $40 a month plan. This is the most low cost thing you can get for having a iPhone, unless you go prepaid or something.